Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350736 times)

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #975 on: April 01, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
It is sad that old men cannot put aside petty rivalries for an induction ceremony their fans voted in their millions for.
It is not a surprise though as MK has treated the DS "brand" with such disdain over the years.
No deluxe releases,no official live releases,few "classic" songs in recent setlists,little acknowledgement that DS even existed!
There is no justifiable reason why the fans haven't been given more.It is not as though MK has worked tirelessly releasing albums and touring over the last 25 years.
He could easily have devoted some time to ensure the great albums were given the proper treatment.At the very least he could have chosen someone to overseen this.
If there isn't some kind of photo or video of the band acknowledging the honour of being inducted into the HOF it will reflect badly on them(mainly MK.)
This whole situation reminds of the great Elton song as it is "getting more and more absurd!"

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #976 on: April 01, 2018, 11:28:16 AM »
I tend to see MK as a sort of "Woody Allen of music". He also works constantly, he's also extremely prolific and have a great quality control.

And moreover, he refused to go to the Oscar ceremony, even though he won the award...

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #977 on: April 01, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
Is it me or is the fact that MK (and co - the founder members) don't seem to be attending a little sad?

Yes, we all know the brothers don't get on, yes we all know MK steadfastly looks forward with no looking back, yes we know about the Legends (or whoever they are now) - but come on - cant all these guys just forget about all this cr*p and attend the ceremony?  Even if the brothers just come along and shake hands (a performance would be nice - but that may be a stretch too far) - surely I think they could acknowledge the fans and support who bought album after album, attended tour after tour and helped get these guys to where they are now....pretty rich and (financially) living off past glories whether they would like to admit it or not! 

How difficult would it be to shake some hands, say some thanks and show some appreciation....this IS a bit of a special event - come on, how hard can it be.  The phrase "suck it up" springs to mind in this situation.

David K said it was fine to even perform live !

It all comes down to MK's decision imo, he doesn't want to attend and everything else is just a consequence
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #978 on: April 01, 2018, 08:21:52 PM »
MK has been keeping the possibility of a reunion alive over the years. He never did say: i want to leave DS behind me, it has been great, i wish to thank everyone but i want to move on with my solo career. DS belongs to the past and i have absolutely no intention of bringing the band back together in the future. We will never perform again.
He alsways left the possibility open for a one time charity gig, something like Pink Floyd did for Live8.
There must be a reason for him not say a single word about this RRHOF award but it would have been a nice and probably the last small opportunity to do a reunion. It is very clear that he does not want to go down that road for one more time. Perhaps then it is the best to be clear about it. Then there is no room for discussion in the press and among us fans...and perhaps he should have done that 15 years ago.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #979 on: April 01, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »
MK has been keeping the possibility of a reunion alive over the years. He never did say: i want to leave DS behind me, it has been great, i wish to thank everyone but i want to move on with my solo career. DS belongs to the past and i have absolutely no intention of bringing the band back together in the future. We will never perform again.

He didn't say it out loud, but I think everybody who will look at his solo career and see how prolific, rich and happy it is will see these words spark in their head. If he would be in need for some cash, boom — DS is back with another album and tour. But you can safely say, If DS is still dead, that means that MK is still going strong. The moment DS will be back again, it will be the end of MK as we know him. Which we don't want to see!

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #980 on: April 01, 2018, 09:55:17 PM »
He alsways left the possibility open for a one time charity gig, something like Pink Floyd did for Live8.
There must be a reason for him not say a single word about this RRHOF award but it would have been a nice and probably the last small opportunity to do a reunion. It is very clear that he does not want to go down that road for one more time. Perhaps then it is the best to be clear about it. Then there is no room for discussion in the press and among us fans...and perhaps he should have done that 15 years ago.

He's been very clear about it. You probably read too much into the possibility of a reunion or whatever.
He meant never say never, it doesn't mean he will have the obligation to do it at some point.

Anyway, HoF isn’t a charity thing.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #981 on: April 01, 2018, 10:42:29 PM »
I might be outnumbered here but I think it has a lot to do with Alan and DSL.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #982 on: April 02, 2018, 12:03:42 AM »

It's all guessing but i think you are right and the fact that MK and DK still have issues.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #983 on: April 02, 2018, 01:00:43 AM »

It's all guessing but i think you are right and the fact that MK and DK still have issues.

What blows my mind is that Mark's brother (David Knopfler) says that it would be nice if there'd be a performance on RRHOF. As if he doesn't know his own brother enough to know that it won't happen with 99% probability. Even we fans (not even hardcore ones) know it won't happen. But he's still in high hopes. What gives?

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #984 on: April 02, 2018, 01:04:37 AM »

Probably, but my guts tell me DSL was the silver bullet.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #985 on: April 02, 2018, 01:06:19 AM »

What blows my mind is that Mark's brother (David Knopfler) says that it would be nice if there'd be a performance on RRHOF. As if he doesn't know his own brother enough to know that it won't happen with 99% probability. Even we fans (not even hardcore ones) know it won't happen. But he's still in high hopes. What gives?

Hope maybe? Perhaps he thought that would be a good opportunity to make peace.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #986 on: April 02, 2018, 01:21:56 AM »

Hope maybe? Perhaps he thought that would be a good opportunity to make peace.

Still can't get why he'd have any hopes. The moment I've seen the news about DS induction I thought — no performance, Mark's not attending.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #987 on: April 02, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
I think you are right. Alan started praising MK when the HOF thing came up and they issued denials about the Three Chord Trick lyrics but by then it was too late.

They blew it.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #988 on: April 02, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
If only the RRHOF would have given the award to the original members of DS, would that have made a difference on a possible reunion???

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #989 on: April 02, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
If only the RRHOF would have given the award to the original members of DS, would that have made a difference on a possible reunion???

Yes, it would raise it up 1% tops. From 1% to 2% possibility :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 39 queries.