Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350815 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1140 on: April 08, 2018, 01:48:40 AM »
That’s mostly British sarcasm which is pretty... unique. But I do think mentioning Mark and saying he would replace him with the Red Army Choir and play Jews Harp was a bit too sharp.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1141 on: April 08, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
Do you know what is a Jews harp?

It's an instrument. In the Guy Fletcher's Blues club band there is one musician playing that instrument.

I can understand there is a hate sentiment against Alan but sometimes you leave yourself go further with the prejudice against him and read between lines that doesn't exists at all...

This is a free world of course and you are entitled to hate and feed your hate as much as you want, but sometimes you should think that maybe you are just chasing shadows under your own prejudice...

Alan just used an instrument that fits nothing at all with TR, another one, to continue with the joke. I know bthat when you hate Alan, whatever joke is like someone puts a knife on your back but to confuse the name of the instrument with MK origins is leaving your hate travel further your wildest imaginations and conspiracions...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:40:05 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1142 on: April 08, 2018, 10:43:14 AM »
Do you know what is a Jews harp?

It's an instrument. In the Guy Fletcher's Blues club band there is one musician playing that instrument.

I can understand there is a hate sentiment against Alan but sometimes you leave yourself go further with the prejudice against him and read between lines that doesn't exists at all...

This is a free world of course and you are entitled to hate and feed your hate as much as you want, but sometimes you should think that maybe you are just chasing shadows under your own prejudice...

Alan just used an instrument that fits nothing at all with TR, another one, to continue with the joke. I know bthat when you hate Alan, whatever joke is like someone puts a knife on your back but to confuse the name of the instrument with MK origins is leaving your hate travel further your wildest imaginations and conspiracions...
+1000
As much as I was disappointed with Alan for the "Mark was not such an important part of DS after all", I don't blame him for joking. I don't think this is an allusion to the way TR is played by MK know, this is stretching too far.
My God ! Again, all this tralala for a 30 year overdue ceremony ! I stick to my opinion that by not taking this "event" seriously, Mark's mental health is better than ours ! :)

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #1143 on: April 08, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
That’s mostly British sarcasm which is pretty... unique. But I do think mentioning Mark and saying he would replace him with the Red Army Choir and play Jews Harp was a bit too sharp.

Well it's obvious at this point that MK isn't attending so the comment is clearly not to be against MK, it's just a joke about what they would do instead since MK isn't there.

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #1144 on: April 08, 2018, 03:51:48 PM »
Anyone who could enlight me about which year those ex-member tribute bands start?  The relation may change after those tribute bands acted.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1145 on: April 08, 2018, 04:04:08 PM »
Anyone who could enlight me about which year those ex-member tribute bands start?  The relation may change after those tribute bands acted.

25 years ago apparently, LOL

In the real world, The Straits first concert was in 2011 I think... I might be wrong, didn't checked it properly.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1146 on: April 08, 2018, 05:30:03 PM »

25 years ago apparently, LOL

In the real world, The Straits first concert was in 2011 I think... I might be wrong, didn't checked it properly.

The Straits had their debut show at the Royal Albert Hall in May 2011.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1147 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:37 PM »
So enjoy hating Alan. I find it boring and stupid

that's exactly the problem here, you don't stand other people's opinions, stubborn as a mule they say in Spain

In the contrary, I totally respect your hate against Alan, and that you let it blur how you understand whatever Alan does or says.

However, even your 25 years reference was false, as I proved, I wonder how MK and AC relationship has been since DS ended. They had worked together at lest three times that I can remember, during the Swan Hunter NHB concert in Newcastle, I think it was in 1993, a master class for TV, I think it was in 99, and that Alan Shearer pub opening in 2005. And in between, there was the Mk and friends in 2002 where MK gathered the NHB without Bicknell and DS without Alan...

So he didn't called AC in 2002, or AC refused to play for whatever the reason but they played together for the Shearer pub three years later...

Could it be that he did not called AC in 2002 because that would have been a DS reunion then. I believe John Guy Chris and Danny also took the stage. With also AC on board one could easily get the idea that it would have been a full DS reunion. Perhaps that is something MK really would avoid at that ( and still) time????

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1148 on: April 08, 2018, 06:13:32 PM »
Thanks DMG.

I was there and I enjoyed a lot seeing Alan on stage for the first time. It was one of the legendary DS members I never saw playing live and he was absolutely brilliant.

It should had been all but they thought that fans enjoyed it so much that it was worth to continue, and they did, until Alan got tired of it as he wanted to play original songs, and left The Straits, that disappeared and turned into the DS experience.

Then Alan joined Phil (that was also in the first Straits concert) in the DS legends, probably because he promised Alan to work also in original material, and they did, as they ended releasing a full record of original material.

You can say whatever you want about AC but he pursued to do original stuff from the beginning, and in the end he did it.

I don't agree with the way he finally ended doing it, I don't like the concept of a tribute band of ex members, but their cd, I like it quite a lot, so I'm happy with the final result.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1149 on: April 08, 2018, 06:15:40 PM »
So enjoy hating Alan. I find it boring and stupid

that's exactly the problem here, you don't stand other people's opinions, stubborn as a mule they say in Spain

In the contrary, I totally respect your hate against Alan, and that you let it blur how you understand whatever Alan does or says.

However, even your 25 years reference was false, as I proved, I wonder how MK and AC relationship has been since DS ended. They had worked together at lest three times that I can remember, during the Swan Hunter NHB concert in Newcastle, I think it was in 1993, a master class for TV, I think it was in 99, and that Alan Shearer pub opening in 2005. And in between, there was the Mk and friends in 2002 where MK gathered the NHB without Bicknell and DS without Alan...

So he didn't called AC in 2002, or AC refused to play for whatever the reason but they played together for the Shearer pub three years later...

Could it be that he did not called AC in 2002 because that would have been a DS reunion then. I believe John Guy Chris and Danny also took the stage. With also AC on board one could easily get the idea that it would have been a full DS reunion. Perhaps that is something MK really would avoid at that ( and still) time????

John presence was enough to give the impression of a DS reunion anyway...

I heard that Alan wasn't interested in the music Mk was doing as a solo artist but can't remember where I heard that so I cannot say that was the reason.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1150 on: April 08, 2018, 07:57:19 PM »
so i just banned Don70
time to get back to business of discussing  MK and anything related.
all offending posts and comments thereof will be deleted. no discussion.
asking all of you to focus again on what counts.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1151 on: April 08, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
so i just banned Don70

You did a lot of people a big favour there.  Well done!  :clap
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1152 on: April 08, 2018, 08:24:03 PM »
also deleted most of the "offending" posts, and the answers thereof. actually deleted so many of my own replies i almost went below 8000 comments....my god.
now focus on da music pls...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1153 on: April 08, 2018, 08:33:34 PM »
so i just banned Don70

so i just banned Don70

So much for freedom of speech, I guess? I've been lurking here for quite awhile and find it disturbing that you would choose to ban someone because they feel that certain members level of negativity have ruined their's and many others experiences. I will admit that Don70 was a trifle, shall we say, abrasive, and maybe a bit of a troll. However, he made some valid points and it's unfortunate that the moderators have chosen to foster a negative environment to the detriment of the fans who actually enjoy the fact that MK has left behind his arena rock guitar god days and evolved into a more sensitive celtic-folk singer/songwriter.

Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1154 on: April 08, 2018, 08:39:23 PM »
so i just banned Don70

Really sad that someone has been banned for speaking out against the "negative nellies". Not exactly freedom of speech. I've been lurking here for years with no real desire to post but the recent events really made my blood boil. Moderators seem more interested in protecting the feelings of their friends than actually creating a proper fan forum.
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.