Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350713 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1155 on: April 08, 2018, 08:44:49 PM »
so i just banned Don70
time to get back to business of discussing  MK and anything related.
all offending posts and comments thereof will be deleted. no discussion.
asking all of you to focus again on what counts.

You did a lot of people a big favour there.  Well done!  :clap

Really sad that someone has been banned for speaking out against the "negative nellies". Not exactly freedom of speech. I've been lurking here for years with no real desire to post but the recent events really made my blood boil. Moderators seem more interested in protecting the feelings of their friends than actually creating a proper fan forum.
He was banned for continually breaking our rules in relation to insulting other members despite multiple warnings.

Not something we like to do but if people continually break the rules we are left with no other option.

Welcome to the forum Basil.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1156 on: April 08, 2018, 08:48:40 PM »
Can we PLEASE move on now!!!

There is still no word on who will induct DS into the Hall of Fame. With MK not there i think EC and Sting are not going to do that. Perhaps news on that this week.......

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1157 on: April 08, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, sir.
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1158 on: April 08, 2018, 08:53:53 PM »
Can we PLEASE move on now!!!

There is still no word on who will induct DS into the Hall of Fame. With MK not there i think EC and Sting are not going to do that. Perhaps news on that this week.......

I don't think anyone will induct them. Mark Knopfler WAS Dire Straits. Alan Clark was a nice keyboardist as is Guy Fletcher. John Illsley was a solid, groovy bass player but Knopfler was the straw that stirred the drink.
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1159 on: April 08, 2018, 09:16:51 PM »
Someone will induct the members that go to the ceremony.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1160 on: April 08, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
Someone will induct the members that go to the ceremony.

You're probably right, but I doubt it will be anyone high profile without Knopfler there. Then again, I may be wrong.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1161 on: April 08, 2018, 10:05:33 PM »
There seem to be more and more articles coming out by the minute about the Knopfler brothers and their no-show.  Certainly not looking good for our man. 

I don't know where I stand on this.  Many people have made good arguments for both sides.  Probably my problem is that I'm not interested in the RnRHOF and the induction was of no interest to me to begin with.  However, if DS has been inducted surely Mark should attend if only to be polite.  Or if he attends and doesn't perform is that worse?

It's easy for AC to say he'd perform again (at every opportunity he gets) when he knows that Mark is not going! 

And if TW isn't getting inducted then I really don't think AC or GF should either.  Where do they stop and how did they determine these members?
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1162 on: April 08, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
I agree with you that when you get a prize, it's polite to accept it, that's the first reason why I'm disappointed with this.

Secondly, to go and accept the prize doesn't means you have to perform. Many bands didn't performed during the years and went to accept the prize.

Thirdly, it really doesn't matter if he is or not on speaking terms with David and Alan. To be polite is what it is. Many bands with members that don't talk to each other attended together just for respect to the fans.

Fourth, the own Guy said this was a prize for the fans. So, if it was a prize for the fans, show how it is a prize for the fans. Is this why John, Alan and Guy are going? If it's the reason, thank you to them.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1163 on: April 08, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
Fourth, the own Guy said this was a prize for the fans. So, if it was a prize for the fans, show how it is a prize for the fans. Is this why John, Alan and Guy are going? If it's the reason, thank you to them.

I'm absolutely sure that's THE reason for these guys. Mark, I think, by not attending wants to bury any DS reunion speculations once and for all.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1164 on: April 08, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »

I'm absolutely sure that's THE reason for these guys. Mark, I think, by not attending wants to bury any DS reunion speculations once and for all.

I hope on his next tour MK will invite JI and his brother for a song or two in the Albert Hall  :smack

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1165 on: April 08, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »

I hope on his next tour MK will invite JI and his brother for a song or two in the Albert Hall  :smack

I think chances for this are as high as chances for Paul Simon to invite Art Garfunkel for a couple of songs on his farewell tour.
As much as it would be as desirable for fans, judging by the state of their relationships it's almost impossible unfortunately.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1166 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:21 PM »

I think chances for this are as high as chances for Paul Simon to invite Art Garfunkel for a couple of songs on his farewell tour.
As much as it would be as desirable for fans, judging by the state of their relationships it's almost impossible unfortunately.
That is surely much more likely as they have played together hundreds of times live since they split?

MK and JI only 4 times, 16 years ago, MK and DK once (?) 36 years ago?

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1167 on: April 09, 2018, 12:05:31 AM »

That is surely much more likely as they have played together hundreds of times live since they split?

MK and JI only 4 times, 16 years ago, MK and DK once (?) 36 years ago?

It's more likely indeed, although they're now [Simon & Garfunkel] really seems to be split forever, making strange and rude comments on each other (or rather from Garfunkel's side only, though), and moreover — struggling musically, again, more on Garfunkel's side of things. He's lost his voice and all and their 'last' reunion would be a disaster too big to just call it 'let's do it for one and final time'. I don't want that.

To me, the possibility of seeing old Mark together with old David, Alan, with all this 'grey hair' and stuff, this idea seems to me like something I would rather avoid seeng, because to me there's nothing worse than seeng an old musician who struggle to get his stuff together. It's like a boxer who stays in the ring for too long — you may believe in him, but you can't 'unsee' his endless struggling.

With that said, solo-wise both Paul Simon and Mark Knopfler are still going strong and I don't want to see them going back. What I meant was that I think Dire Straits in any lineup would struggle a great deal to get their stuff together and therefore it will be something I can't stand.

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1168 on: April 09, 2018, 12:47:56 AM »
I agree with you that when you get a prize, it's polite to accept it, that's the first reason why I'm disappointed with this.

Secondly, to go and accept the prize doesn't means you have to perform. Many bands didn't performed during the years and went to accept the prize.

Thirdly, it really doesn't matter if he is or not on speaking terms with David and Alan. To be polite is what it is. Many bands with members that don't talk to each other attended together just for respect to the fans.

"You can't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes." I'm a firm believer in this. None of us can possibly know what MK's reasons are. We can guess and make assumptions based on what the public record tells us, but at the end of the day we'll never truly know.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:55:59 AM by basilbunting1108 »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1169 on: April 09, 2018, 10:04:47 AM »

"You can't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes." I'm a firm believer in this. None of us can possibly know what MK's reasons are. We can guess and make assumptions based on what the public record tells us, but at the end of the day we'll never truly know.

yes and that's why it would be far more simple if he would make a statement. therefore, no more sepculations.
It's his behaviour that makes assumptions and imagination by the fans, he can stop that very easily, but he just don't  :smack

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.