Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350804 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1200 on: April 12, 2018, 02:09:48 PM »
The Hall Of Fame will broadcast live on saturday the red carpet of the ceremony

https://www.rockhall.com/induction-ceremony-red-carpet-live-stream

Apparently, the channel that will broadcast it is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOA9pJexYJ4&feature=youtu.be

That images won't be in the HBO broadcast so, if interested in seeing Guy, Alan and John walking by the red carpet as they go into the hall, that's your chance.

And by the way, if someone manage to capture that video, the rest would watch it later ;)

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1201 on: April 12, 2018, 05:50:48 PM »
https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8307588/dire-straits-guitarist-john-illseley-mark-knopfler-no-show-rock-hall-of-fame-induction

Dire Straits co-founder John Illsley isn't planning to let the absence of frontman Mark Knopfler and other band members sour his time at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions this week in Cleveland.

"I'm excited, yes. We're going to have a good time," Illsley tell Billboard just before he and keyboardist Guy Fletcher boarded a flight to the U.S. on Thursday morning (Apr. 12). "I mean, some people play and some people don't. Some people turn up and some people don't, it seems. We've got a combination of all that."

Illsley did reveal that keyboardist Alan Clark's web site post that he, Illsley and Fletcher would perform "an unplugged version of 'Telegraph Road'" was not, in fact, true. "That's not going to happen," Illsley said. "That's Alan having a bit of fun. I was hoping people weren't going to take it too seriously. I wouldn't perform without Mark there, so it's as simple as that, really. If Mark's not there, there's no point." Dire Straits has been dormant since 1992, after touring to promote its 1991 album On Every Street.

So why is Knopfler -- whose brother and fellow guitarist David Knopfler also isn't coming -- a no-show? "He just didn't feel like coming, it's as simple as that," says Illsley, who co-owns the Dire Straits band name with Knopfler. "It just didn't appeal to him, and I appealed to him on several occasions. I said, 'Look, I'd love you to get your head around this.' He said, 'Look, I just can't do it, John. I'm really sorry. It's a great honor for us and all the rest of it, and I just can't get my head around it,' so I've just got to respect it. He's got his reasons, which he really doesn't want to share with me which is unusual because we've shared most things over the years."

Illsley adds that a Dire Straits performance during Saturday's (Apr. 14) ceremony "would've been quite complicated. When you look at the structure of the band over the last 40 years it's been quite a mixed bag of musicians and people involved, and just trying to sort that out and make sense of it... (Knopfler) said, 'Look, I just can't deal with it. I don't really want to deal with it.' So I said, 'OK, I'll go over, accept the award on your behalf and all the rest of the guys that aren't there and that'll be it. So that's what's happening."

Illsley noted that he does have "room in the case" to bring Knopfler's induction trophy back to England. He's also starting to accumulate items for the Rock Hall to exhibit in Cleveland, and he plans to make the best of the induction weekend.

"I'm very proud of being inducted," he says. "I think it's fantastic for the band. I think it's fantastic for all the musicians who have worked with us over the years, who have been part of the journey... and all the producers and engineers we worked with over the years. And I think it's wonderful for all the people who bought the music and came to see the concerts and stuck with the band all these years. That to me is the most important side of it, so that's what I would like to acknowledge when I get there is the fans. They make everything happen."

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #1202 on: April 12, 2018, 06:06:22 PM »
I don't know if he actually meant everything he said but I tend to think that he did and I respect him for that.

"And I think it's wonderful for all the people who bought the music and came to see the concerts and stuck with the band all these years. That to me is the most important side of it, so that's what I would like to acknowledge when I get there is the fans. They make everything happen."

That's it. How hard could it be for Mark to just post this same few sentences on his official solo web page in the "news" section? Big  :thumbsup for John and big  :thumbsdown for Mark.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1203 on: April 12, 2018, 07:07:54 PM »
Guy said this is a prize for fans.

That's why I posted in Guy's forum a big thank you to him, Alan and John to honour the fans.

Mark is Mark (previously was Bob is Bob)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #1204 on: April 12, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »
We all have things in our lives that we just don't want to deal with for various reasons. It seems this is happening with Mark and we have to respect it.

Looking forward to the new album!

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Offlinenando_5994

• Local Hero
« Reply #1205 on: April 12, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
Mark shouldn`t treat the brand and band Dire Straits like this. I love DS, i love MK work. i don´t get why he cant do his solo career and honor is previous work. That work made it possible for him to be where he is. The fans made it possible, and the fans are still here. I will never get why there isnt a collectors edition from OES TOUR, either on cd, dvd, mp3, whatever. Planet of New Orleans, When it comes to you, Think I Love You, Two Young Lovers, Telegraph Road, Sultans, TOL, Portobello, great versions, great performances in music history. He could do the both, his actual work and release gems from musical history.

Alchemy DVD sold a lot in Portugal, for example, theres market for it.

I simple dont get it.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1206 on: April 12, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
We all have things in our lives that we just don't want to deal with for various reasons. It seems this is happening with Mark and we have to respect it.

yes of course, but why didn't he just say it ? his silence sounds like a bit of contempt to me
yes Bob is Bob, but in the end, at least, he wrote something for the nobel induction

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #1207 on: April 12, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »

yes of course, but why didn't he just say it ? his silence sounds like a bit of contempt to me
yes Bob is Bob, but in the end, at least, he wrote something for the nobel induction

Well maybe Mark wrote something too.
Just be patient

Onlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1208 on: April 12, 2018, 08:59:53 PM »
Wow, John really must have tried to talk some sense into MK.

John have my full respect for this!  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:07:56 PM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1209 on: April 12, 2018, 09:03:31 PM »
I don't know if he actually meant everything he said but I tend to think that he did and I respect him for that.

:thumbsup
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 09:06:41 PM by Stanko »
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1210 on: April 12, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
MK lives in a planet of his own, with all the pros and the cons
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1211 on: April 12, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
as we all do!
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1212 on: April 12, 2018, 09:43:21 PM »
Mark shouldn`t treat the brand and band Dire Straits like this. I love DS, i love MK work. i don´t get why he cant do his solo career and honor is previous work. That work made it possible for him to be where he is. The fans made it possible, and the fans are still here. I will never get why there isnt a collectors edition from OES TOUR, either on cd, dvd, mp3, whatever. Planet of New Orleans, When it comes to you, Think I Love You, Two Young Lovers, Telegraph Road, Sultans, TOL, Portobello, great versions, great performances in music history. He could do the both, his actual work and release gems from musical history.

Alchemy DVD sold a lot in Portugal, for example, theres market for it.

I simple dont get it.

yes it's a musical murder that those songs have never been available
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1213 on: April 12, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
as we all do!

No geniuses are sometime on exo planet
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1214 on: April 12, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »

"And I think it's wonderful for all the people who bought the music and came to see the concerts and stuck with the band all these years. That to me is the most important side of it, so that's what I would like to acknowledge when I get there is the fans. They make everything happen."

That's it. How hard could it be for Mark to just post this same few sentences on his official solo web page in the "news" section? Big  :thumbsup for John and big  :thumbsdown for Mark.

Well said.

Reading between the lines I feel Mark was just too lazy to pick up the phone and speak to people.  I also think that he felt compelled to put on a performance and he doesn't like performing live televised shows to the public these days, especially when other artists are present.  The last big televised show was Monserrat back in '97, since then just a few intimate showcases and TV shows.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.