Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350873 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1275 on: April 15, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »
Big moment for Alan and DS Legacy to also be representing.  ;D

But joking aside John really rose to the occasion. He did very well.

So last night the background vocals and bass guitar of Dire Straits turned out to be more Dire Straits than the voice and guitar of said band.

It's disappointing because I felt for so many years that it was unfair that they never would induct DS meanwhile lesser names were. And it became this kind of standard joke. And suddenly DS were chosen to be inducted and then all we got was this failed souffle.

Luckily people will hopefully remember the grand active years. But for some die hard fans this will be an ugly mark on the corner of an otherwise beautiful painting.

Time to move on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:49:42 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1276 on: April 15, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »
Hats off to John
very very disapointed by Mark
when I knew in december that DS would be inducted I was so so happy, and had great expectations
even only a little speech from Mark, even if they did not perform, only a little hug between them and I would have be happy
But now I am sad
is it really that image that the whole world will keep in mind from Dire Straits ? :'(
and now when I discuss on french forums or FB and I want to say how DS was great....ouch ! What can I say now with this ?!!
When someone says to me that Bon Jovi deserved far more to be inducted that DS...well I have no more arguments after this....
sad, very sad
but thanks John and Hal to have illuminating my day  :clap :wave

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1277 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
I'm just wondering if they left him without a microphone intentionally, frightened that he might take a piss
 8)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1278 on: April 15, 2018, 11:42:58 AM »
Ok I would have been nice to have MK here, but let's not take this ceremony (30 years overdue) too seriously...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1279 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »
Apart from Mark not being there, David and Pick weren't there either, but they were barely mentioned!    ::)

I thought about them too.  I can understand David not going.  In fact I'm wondering if there was a quick phonecall and they agreed with each other not to attend, it being unfair for one brother to go.  However I wonder why Pick missed out...

Big John handled the thing very well though and always has been better with the media.  Mark would've just stuttered and mumbled his way through it all.  Unless he's going through the usual clichés that's what happens.  It's not his fault, he's just not good at that sort of thing.

The whole thing doesn't bother me in the slightest anyway.  The whole thing's a load of rubbish and looking at the videos appears tasteless and trashy so Mark was quite right not to show.

P.S. Was that a cardboard cutout of Alan they had with them?

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1280 on: April 15, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »
Apart from Mark not being there, David and Pick weren't there either, but they were barely mentioned!    ::)

I thought about them too.  I can understand David not going.  In fact I'm wondering if there was a quick phonecall and they agreed with each other not to attend, it being unfair for one brother to go.  However I wonder why Pick missed out...

Big John handled the thing very well though and always has been better with the media.  Mark would've just stuttered and mumbled his way through it all.  Unless he's going through the usual clichés that's what happens.  It's not his fault, he's just not good at that sort of thing.

The whole thing doesn't bother me in the slightest anyway.  The whole thing's a load of rubbish and looking at the videos appears tasteless and trashy so Mark was quite right not to show.

P.S. Was that a cardboard cutout of Alan they had with them?

Agree, in fact Mark would have hated every minute of it!   It's best he didn't attend, but I'm a bit disappointed too.    Anyway, John did a great job!   :clap
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1281 on: April 15, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Ok I would have been nice to have MK here, but let's not take this ceremony (30 years overdue) too seriously...

Not the ceremony itself but the handling and missed out opportunity of acknowledging or communicating.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1282 on: April 15, 2018, 11:59:56 AM »
It will all be forgotten in a couple of days, so let's move on to the new album and musical now - that's far more important!   :)

On a lighter note - there were three ladies with the boys on the red carpet, who was with whom?   :think    I'll have a guess that the tall one is John's wife, the short blonde one is Alan's wife and the lady with the grey hair is Guy's wife!   ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 12:06:38 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1283 on: April 15, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »

Not the ceremony itself but the handling and missed out opportunity of acknowledging or communicating.

you know, it's your favourite band for 30 years. Yo listen to it every day. It means more than music to you. it's milestones in your life, etc..
and one day, there is an occasion to celebrate this. Only a big smile, a nice thanks and that's all ...and then.....it ends up with this mascarade  :smack

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1284 on: April 15, 2018, 12:37:29 PM »

you know, it's your favourite band for 30 years. Yo listen to it every day. It means more than music to you. it's milestones in your life, etc..
and one day, there is an occasion to celebrate this. Only a big smile, a nice thanks and that's all ...and then.....it ends up with this mascarade  :smack

I wouldn't bother too much about it.  I suppose it all depends on how much the RnRHOF means to you, but it will all die down pretty soon and the list of no-shows over the years is pretty impressive if that's any consolation.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-history-of-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-no-shows-20120412
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1285 on: April 15, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
Class list of no-shows.

Sex Pistols summed it up really.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1286 on: April 15, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
Mods, can we get rid of this stupid s.e.x. = spam thing please?!

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #1287 on: April 15, 2018, 03:03:19 PM »
A History of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame No-Shows
Axl Rose isn't alone: Paul McCartney, David Bowie and more rockers missed their inductions
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-history-of-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-no-shows-20120412

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Reunions That Actually Happened
Relive three decades of Rock Hall reunions, from Cream to Talking Heads
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/26-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-reunions-that-actually-happened-20140407/1-simon-garfunkel-1990-0291961
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1288 on: April 15, 2018, 03:18:51 PM »
John did well but the whole thing is a bit odd. Inducting themselves?!

Probably it was a consequence of no performance and no mk at all
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #1289 on: April 15, 2018, 04:32:59 PM »
It would had been so easy to publish a small note like "thank you very much for this award, I'm busy working on several projects so I wouldn't be able to attend"

It would had been so easy...

But Mark is Mark. I guess from who he learn it... From his Bobness?
Possibly, lol

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk
Yes Mr Mark Knopfler doesn't want to say anything about that. I guess that we have to be satisfied with what JI GF and AC said !!!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 39 queries.