Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350944 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Rock and roll hall of fame
« Reply #1590 on: April 24, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »

I have never been of the opinion that Mark could do no wrong.   As I said earlier, to me he is a genius, but a flawed one and I have always accepted that.    If he had killed or molested someone, that would be a different matter, but not turning up at the HoF ceremony without explanation?   That's not a reason for me to stop being a fan!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #1591 on: April 24, 2018, 09:35:14 AM »
Exactly Val. And maybe MK just thinks the Hof thing is bull sh*t but doesn't want to be impolite seeing so. Sometimes it's better to say nothing, so others can enjoy it.

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #1592 on: April 24, 2018, 09:43:05 AM »

I have never been of the opinion that Mark could do no wrong.   As I said earlier, to me he is a genius, but a flawed one and I have always accepted that.    If he had killed or molested someone, that would be a different matter, but not turning up at the HoF ceremony without explanation?   That's not a reason for me to stop being a fan!

It's probably the ugly side of fame Mark talked about many times.
People expecting you to do things you don't want to do, dealing with things you couldn't care less and having to do things you wouldn't have to do if you were just a regular person.
He didn't request any of this and all of a sudden people are expecting him to revive something he buried 25 years ago.
And now he has to face criticism for simply trying to ignore that circus he never asked for in the first place.
That's unfair imho. I wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1593 on: April 24, 2018, 10:21:28 AM »
Exactly Val. And maybe MK just thinks the Hof thing is bull sh*t but doesn't want to be impolite seeing so. Sometimes it's better to say nothing, so others can enjoy it.
Exactly.
An official statement about a 30-year overdue, ill-organized and bad taste event could have been as  sarcastic as TOTT lyrics.
All of you moaners, think it could have been worse: imagine an official statement from MK saying "Poor souls... have fun with this crap if it suits you". What would you say of that ? :)

This being said, the sheer elegance, humility and simplicity from John (and even Guy) is touching. John is to Mark what Nick Mason is to Roger Waters - not a genius, just a very nice human being trying his best to make things work.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1594 on: April 24, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »

It costs nothing more than a few seconds to do a polite note.

It costs nothing to be nice.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1595 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:10 AM »

It costs nothing more than a few seconds to do a polite note.

It costs nothing to be nice.

I agree with you, jbaent, but it's not going to give me sleepless nights and it's not going to stop me buying his albums or attending his concerts.   I have more important things to worry about other than MK saying thank you, or not - life's too short.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1596 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:57 AM »
Me neither.

But I'm deeply disappointed with what we used to say about MK, that was a humble down on earth man. That's not humble but grumpy, that's not down to earth but rude.

To be nice and polite would had been humble and down to earth.

He's more like Bob day by day. I would still like his music but not him anymore.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
Me neither.

But I'm deeply disappointed with what we used to say about MK, that was a humble down on earth man. That's not humble but grumpy, that's not down to earth but rude.

He's more like Bob day by day. I would still like his music but not him anymore.
Honestly, I doubt he is even aware his not reacting created so much fuzz on here. Just saying, for him this may truly be an issue of simply not being interested.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:37 AM »
Exactly.
An official statement about a 30-year overdue, ill-organized and bad taste event could have been as  sarcastic as TOTT lyrics.
All of you moaners, think it could have been worse: imagine an official statement from MK saying "Poor souls... have fun with this crap if it suits you". What would you say of that ? :)

This being said, the sheer elegance, humility and simplicity from John (and even Guy) is touching. John is to Mark what Nick Mason is to Roger Waters - not a genius, just a very nice human being trying his best to make things work.

However, it cost nothing to be polite and say thank you but I can't go, busy working in two projects.

It costs nothing to be nice even with what you don't like

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1599 on: April 24, 2018, 10:51:42 AM »
Exactly.

Talking Roger waters, jbaent, how was the show last week? I read rave reviews about it

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1600 on: April 24, 2018, 10:54:01 AM »
It was great as expected.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1601 on: April 24, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
Me neither.

Honestly, I doubt he is even aware his not reacting created so much fuzz on here. Just saying, for him this may truly be an issue of simply not being interested.

Guy says MK takes a look to his forum from time to time, so maybe he is aware but gives a damm about it.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #1602 on: April 24, 2018, 11:17:44 AM »
So in short it just means that you should never ever get to know your childhood hero too closely because you will be disappointed. Just like you should never ever buy a super car you had on your wall as a teenager. Some things are best left to the imagination.

Love Expresso

« Reply #1603 on: April 24, 2018, 11:34:03 AM »
Maybe it were good reasons that made him take this decisions. Good in terms of "heroic, loyal". Maybe the fact that they did not want to pay Davids travel costs made it impossible for him to go. I still believe in something good in him.

The post about his relation to fame also was a good one. Pretty much nailed it imho.

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1604 on: April 24, 2018, 11:40:17 AM »
Me neither.

Guy says MK takes a look to his forum from time to time, so maybe he is aware but gives a damm about it.
Still doubt it

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 41 queries.