Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292903 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Some wait 10 years (me), others 10 days.  :D

Congrats!

Others 25 years to play any guitar and still waiting

❤️
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Guys check this one out: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FENDER-USA-CUSTOMSHOP-MARK-KNOPFLER-MODEL-Electric-Guitar/224079630850?hash=item342c2fd202:g:2boAAOSwQMBfDQ-N

poor guitar :-( somebody aged it artificially
Horrible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just don't get the whole 'relicing'  thing at all. A student of mine recently attempted it, ok it was only a cheap squire strat, but I still told him exactly what I thought about it!

Guitars are objects of beauty and should be treated as such.

Would these same people like their young beautiful wives or partners reliced? 😉😂

hunter

I get the point of "light relicing" in the sense of making the guitar feel broken in, comfortable like a pair of well-worn jeans, but some of these relicing jobs, even the ones done by pros, are way over the top. As if someone put the guitar on a chain and raced Paris Dakar. Apart from Willie Nelson's acoustic guitar and some guitars from punk and hard rock bands, a guitar will never look like that. It's a joke. And then you get relicing jobs like the one above that are just horrible and totally fake looking. Just crazy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
If they are done well they can look good, but I still wouldn’t buy one.

I like my guitars shiny.

My MK Strat is 17 years old, has done hundreds of gigs and still looks more or less new, except some guy wrote his name on the headstock. :)

hunter

I like my guitars shiny.

My MK Strat is 17 years old, has done hundreds of gigs and still looks more or less new, except some guy wrote his name on the headstock. :)

Shiny, but with plenty o' gunk on the fretboard  ;D  I don't mind nicks, dings and scratches, but the fretboard has to be clean.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Each to their own!

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hi Guys!

I have recently written a contribution on the build aspects of the MK Sig, here is some more backing on my statements

Here is a good clip on a very old debate: the sound of maple vs rosewood on Strat necks. The guy takes it to the limit and plays a solid rosewood neck against a solid maple neck. His findings are similar to what John Suhr describes. Rosewood actually has more presence and at the same time a little scoop at the upper mids. Maple has more upper mids and a little less presence.

The Knopfler Strat neck with its slab rosewood board will therefore be on the brighter side of things.

Ash for the body wood will deliver a  more scooped tone with more presence and bass compared to alder. He is a great clip from a guitar parts supplier, Warmoth, showing this:

That test was done scientifically well, so they really only swapped the body, everything else staying the same.

So for the MK Sig, neck and body will already sound bright. To make things funkier, Mark added med jumbo frets which are not that tall but wide! Being wide, they add a certain metallic, bright aspect to the tone compared to vintage frets. The source for frets heavily influencing tone is a discussion I had with one of the Fender Master Builders. I am currently having a Strat built and that was one of the aspects to discuss.

In general I am upholding theory from that post: the MK Strat, from its components, is designed to be on the bright side of things.

The Texas Specials pronounce the upper mids: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/fender-texas-specials-analysis-and-review.403909/.

This is how things are meant to be "balanced".

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Anyone who knows the parts number for the strap that was included in the bundle?

Thanks!

Edit: It looks a lot like the Fender Standard Vintage Strap. #0990689000

Never mind my question.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 09:51:01 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Anyone who knows the parts number for the strap that was included in the bundle?

Thanks!

Edit: It looks a lot like the Fender Standard Vintage Strap. #0990689000

Never mind my question.

Ooooh, I'll take a look and confirm for you... :wave
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George

I like my guitars shiny.

Mine has worked quite hard over the last 10 years and the paint is wearing/ chipping quite badly in places.I have worn through the paint completely on the upper arm relief (abrasive leather jacket i think) and I have no idea how some of the paint chips got there,they just seem to appear overnight!
There is no primer/undercoat on these guitars so I don't think that helps.
Is a re finish by an expert a good idea or not?, I will consider it when I retire it.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler

I like my guitars shiny.

Mine has worked quite hard over the last 10 years and the paint is wearing/ chipping quite badly in places.I have worn through the paint completely on the upper arm relief (abrasive leather jacket i think) and I have no idea how some of the paint chips got there,they just seem to appear overnight!
There is no primer/undercoat on these guitars so I don't think that helps.
Is a re finish by an expert a good idea or not?, I will consider it when I retire it.

pictures?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
Will try to add some later.
Time and patience permitting😆

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
A refinish would probably devalue it I think, depends if you think you would ever sell it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 41 queries.