Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 293034 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
A refinish would probably devalue it I think, depends if you think you would ever sell it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, why refinish it anyway? Even being a perfectionist myself, I don't mind wear and tear on the instrument, it's not the end of the world if I smack my guitar somewhere or play it to death. A well worn guitar is a museum piece, better to retire it rather that trying to put it together again and make it great again.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
A refinish would probably devalue it I think, depends if you think you would ever sell it.

Also, why refinish it anyway? Even being a perfectionist myself, I don't mind wear and tear on the instrument, it's not the end of the world if I smack my guitar somewhere or play it to death. A well worn guitar is a museum piece, better to retire it rather that trying to put it together again and make it great again.
Personal preference, some might like it shiny.

It’s his guitar, he can do what he likes.

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hi! I found an interesting post by Martin Nicholas on Ingo Raven's website explaining why very earlyMK Strats are hot rod red, then Dakota Red comes in and then Fender switches back. I cannot validate if this story is true of course.

https://www.mk-guitar.com/2011/09/27/the-wrong-colour-of-the-first-mark-knopfler-signature-strats/

OK, I have owned 3 MK sig guitars the 1st was Dakota red as nearly all the 1st ship to Europe were. Yes like others I was disappointed, the colour was wrong, the weight was certainly not light and the tone just louder but no sweeter than the 62′ USA re-issue I traded. Like others I saw at a concert that Marks Strat was a lot brighter red. By chance I heard of another for sale offered by a non playing collector selling his entire collection to move to South Africa. When I arrived to pick it up I was staggered when he opened the case. Under the the lights it was almost Fiesta red, the most beautiful red I’ve seen on a Strat. I picked it up and it was so light in weight. As he write the receipt I told him I already had one, he said “you best sell the one you have at home, you’ll see why” I got home and plugged in to THE best sounding Strat ( and I’ve played 100s) I’ve ever had in my hands — and still is. I have built so many using genuine USA Fender parts and currently have 4 with exotic Musikraft necks but none quite sound like this one SN:- SE000072 Neck date Aug 7th 2003. As forecast the Dakote red model was sold but I was so awestruck by this new guitar I had to have another to gig with. I Bought a nice bright red 2006 model, it was fairly light, sounded good, but not especially. but most significant was the colour, it was a different shade again, gone was pinkish tinge and more a sort of regal/signal red. I spent months searching for an explanation. Fender where no help at all, so the baulk of “honest” answers came from Dealers mainly in USA. The consensus is:- Hardly any of the original bright red guitars made it for export, IE, UK and Europe, the legend follows,(like the 1st E type Jaguars) these were select guitars using superlight Swamp ash, dark rosewood boards/laquer, all lovingly put together to prove a point, you will notice from current photos all later guitars have lighter neck tint, with cheaper looking maple. I think you will find that most if not all the Dakota guitars are after Sep 2003. The general opinion is Fender lost the original paint supplier, so to meet demand switched to Dakota red until (prompted by MK) another supplier was found, but the colour though similar is not the same as the 1st guitars (mine will stay with me until death!) but the colour difference is subtle, only noticeable side by side, plus the original finish is very soft and easily marked, probably why I’ve only used it for a single Gig in 6 years!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Mine is Dakota red and was made July 03 if memory serves.

It's a beautiful thing. :)

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
If they are done well they can look good, but I still wouldn’t buy one.

I like my guitars shiny.

My MK Strat is 17 years old, has done hundreds of gigs and still looks more or less new, except some guy wrote his name on the headstock. :)

Mine has worked quite hard over the last 10 years and the paint is wearing/ chipping quite badly in places.I have worn through the paint completely on the upper arm relief (abrasive leather jacket i think) and I have no idea how some of the paint chips got there,they just seem to appear overnight!
There is no primer/undercoat on these guitars so I don't think that helps.
Is a re finish by an expert a good idea or not?, I will consider it when I retire it.

pictures?

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
these pics have taken me 3 hours,much resizing, much more swearing and several drinks to sort.
Gotta love technology

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
maybe picturethis time?

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
and a few more dings

Offlinefirmstools

• Guitar George
I get that these are all wear and tear marks, my copper arthritis bracelet and jacket are responsible for the damage in pic 1
My carelessness in removing the jack plug is responsible for the marks in pic 2 but pic 3 is a mystery to me. (the game comences) Sorry!
Would a professional re finish add or detract from any value?
There seems to be a preference for imaculate instruments on here!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
I get that these are all wear and tear marks, my copper arthritis bracelet and jacket are responsible for the damage in pic 1
My carelessness in removing the jack plug is responsible for the marks in pic 2 but pic 3 is a mystery to me. (the game comences) Sorry!
Would a professional re finish add or detract from any value?
There seems to be a preference for imaculate instruments on here!

I would personally go for a refin, it would make me wanna spend more money if I were to buy it.

But then again, are you going to sell it? Probably not right?

Will the wear and tear get worse. Probably.

So which alternative is it that you would like to have for yourself? Don't listen to others.  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
these pics have taken me 3 hours,much resizing, much more swearing and several drinks to sort.
Gotta love technology
Great pics though, thx & enjoy the drinks!
It's odd to see the pure grain wood in pic 1 but I'd still be happy knowing it wasn't artificially "road-worn". You could be making your very own unique Rory Gallagher-esque relic here :) 
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
If you do a google search, you will see that as a general rule of thumb, a refin devalues a guitar by around 50%.

This is for vintage instruments however and these guitars don't really fit into that category - yet.

Of course if you think you will never sell it and you would prefer it shiny, then go for it.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
All those paint marks look great on any guitar, it's like war scars... I love them.

One of the guitars that look more amazing to me are guitars like the Rory Gallagher one...

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
All those paint marks look great on any guitar, it's like war scars... I love them.

One of the guitars that look more amazing to me are guitars like the Rory Gallagher one...

+1000 :thumbsup
I love when guitars look worned and aged, it shows they have an history

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
The Rory Gallagher Strat is legendary and remember Mr Bonamassa putting it through its paces a few years ago when he borrowed it to play 'Sloe Gin' at the Albert hall in 2013...

Love the worn look...

* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.