Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 292981 times)

hunter

It's a free market, and with access to buyers from all over the world, chances are there's someone out there willing to pay up. A collector, a die-hard MK fan, or just someone with little common sense LOL To someone, that guitar is worth $5.6k, but it's based on something else than sheer "guitar quality".

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
It's a free market, and with access to buyers from all over the world, chances are there's someone out there willing to pay up. A collector, a die-hard MK fan, or just someone with little common sense LOL To someone, that guitar is worth $5.6k, but it's based on something else than sheer "guitar quality".

Yes, and when the guitar was available from fender it was not sold at insane price and everybody could get it.

That said we still can find that the price asked now has risen ridiculously high movinf from  an electric guitar to a collector object.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Yes, and when the guitar was available from fender it was not sold at insane price and everybody could get it.

That said we still can find that the price asked now has risen ridiculously high movinf from  an electric guitar to a collector object.

The question is... Is that really a collector's item? I mean, at least 2400 of these were made. A collector's item is something of really low production, when owning it you feel like you're one of the lucky ones. I can't see this extra specialness in owning 1/2400 anything, it's like owning a Mazda Miata or something. The signature on this signature guitar isn't even real. People think it's a collector's item only because they stopped making it, it's a very crude and greedy way to think about something. If you stop producing anything in this world it will be harder to find, but it doesn't mean it's automatically a collector's item.

If you count in inflation, $1.500 in 2003 is approx $2400 in 2022. Okay, add to that the condition, how hard the guitar was played, if played at all, and the rarity factor, and it makes it to $3,000 tops. From where exactly do people pull out prices like $5,600?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:34:55 PM by quizzaciously »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I feel like we’ve been down this road before! It’s worth precisely what someone will pay for it, nobody is holding a gun to anybody’s head.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I feel like we’ve been down this road before! It’s worth precisely what someone will pay for it, nobody is holding a gun to anybody’s head.

Oh, yes! But until they re-issue it, the trouble will continue... The fact that people still buy it doesn't mean it's not overpriced. The fact that a tire change on a Bugatti cost $50,000 and somebody pays that much doesn't mean that it's not overpriced and that you can buy a whole brand new car with that money. It's priced like that just because you have no other options at all... Which again boils down to the luxury item, collector's item, whatever you gonna call it.

To me, this situation about MK Strat is a bit personal since I remember early on when I was a kid, I was "smelling" online Fender catalogs and MK Strat felt like something that I'll never get, despite the fact it's a fairly priced strat, and $1500 dollars is not even custom shop territory, it's a regular strat, but for almost any kid apart from Mark Knopfler's daughter — you can forget about it.

But as the time went by, and I finally would be able to buy it, they stop producing it, and all of the sudden it became this jewelry item. But it hasn't stopped being a regular strat though. It's not even vintage, there's no reason for it to be overpriced, whatsoever. It's not vintage, it's not terribly rare, it's not terribly unique, the signature isn't real, they screwed up production color, it has stock pickups in it, stock wiring, it's a regular strat, period.

So anybody buying it for 3-4 times the original cost knows that he's buying a luxury item, and not a guitar anymore.

hunter

From where exactly do people pull out prices like $5,600?

Usually people do some research, follow the price trends of certain objects and get a "feel" for what someone may be willing to pay, and they give it a shot. If they get that price, great for them. If not, they either wait or lower the price. No magic here. Is it speculation? Sure. Is it illegal, or immoral? No. It's a luxury item and a free market, and people are free to charge whatever they want.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Near Mint 2009 for $5,300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/204025179244

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
who of us has the lowest serial # actually?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

They are listed on the first page, mkfred in France has #11 :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

thnx

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

thnx

I heard that some guy from the UK has #00000 and #00001, what a lucky guy.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time

thnx

are you being ironic and mean our man MK or...?

OfflineBrianT

• Camerado

I do not have the lowest, I have the highest on the list 12236
I feel lucky to have this one.

Brian
Devialet 440PRO - Audioprana SP/DIF-AES/EBU cable,
VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, Raysonic 168 CDP, Mac Mini Music Server,
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Auditorium 23 Cables, Carver TX11 Tuner.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
No.17 sold for a reasonable price, but like Dusty has always said they are worth what anyone wants to pay for one..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134161414018?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=lBEH3D0nRvm&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=FDnWw-_hRta&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

thnx

Hahahaha!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 41 queries.