Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster (0117800-815) - Owners list  (Read 298967 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
For sale in the UK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266169344744?hash=item3df8ede2e8:g:VUwAAOSwLC5kDZxE&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwD7NpKtyxj5z0WMqevo6KacW%2BPundWWUErEPYvh8Q1dVZwV1QjEHPXjcXKa32WERmFh%2BXZ8Dp7MsS0xVCU6qzyW7WRvq7BigdoT%2B3m4agz%2FqLRPahSm2wzjgNm9hYNOmNgLvk%2Fayu91xo13hSgR8xtTnpgKF8Gbv%2BQtLooxRZnVPTZxVygVDRD0X5U2JWiXgTeQn6DxAXhSyZbGuAUnx40TTB8jvYH8TRZKpT3CHx9ihJ6qBvyno%2FHmEPnkl0STawA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6i93__aYQ

Is it just me or was it a bit peculiar that he covered up the serial number?

That's actually a common practice all over the world, even for selling like MacBooks and any other item with a serial number on it. I never did it, but I understand some people do it in order to save themselves from possible stealing claims or something. Or to stop counterfeiters to copy the serial number, and other reasons. The stupidest thing I think is to hide the serial numbers of guitars like this Signature Les Paul, where you know it's only 50 of them, so why bother?

I guess the main reason to hide the serial number would simply be it's something personal, unique, and not known to the general public, so I should probably hide it.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I think I would want to know the serial number before I bought it, especially at that kind of money.

Crazy prices, although to be fair it's basically a brand new instrument from what I can see, maybe it's the only one on eth planet.

I would never sell mine (unless I was dying or something and I wanted the money to give to my kids) but I do wonder how much I would get for it. It's the wrong colour and signed by MK, both factors which could end up lowering the value.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I think I would want to know the serial number before I bought it, especially at that kind of money.

Crazy prices, although to be fair it's basically a brand new instrument from what I can see, maybe it's the only one on eth planet.

I would never sell mine (unless I was dying or something and I wanted the money to give to my kids) but I do wonder how much I would get for it. It's the wrong colour and signed by MK, both factors which could end up lowering the value.

I think you're selling your MK Strat short (pun intended). Production mistakes, especially this big, somehow make collectable items even more desirable. I actually like Dakota Red more than Hot Rod Red anyway. It's not like you repainted your guitar, it just was created like this! Like Porsche brake pads on Audi RS 2. And the signature actually makes it even more special, since now it's genuinely a signature instrument.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

I think you're selling your MK Strat short (pun intended). Production mistakes, especially this big, somehow make collectable items even more desirable. I actually like Dakota Red more than Hot Rod Red anyway. It's not like you repainted your guitar, it just was created like this! Like Porsche brake pads on Audi RS 2. And the signature actually makes it even more special, since now it's genuinely a signature instrument.

It's hard to say because the wrong colour ones never seem to come up for sale. Many people might not want that, they are buying an MK guitar because they want the same guitar MK plays, and he doesn't play one this colour. Also the signature, I know it's real because I watched him do it, but I have no proof so could easily be fake which again could put some people off. Anyhoo, not for sale, will be 20 years this year since I got it and it has served me well at lots and lots of gigs!

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
For sale in the UK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/266169344744?hash=item3df8ede2e8:g:VUwAAOSwLC5kDZxE&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAwD7NpKtyxj5z0WMqevo6KacW%2BPundWWUErEPYvh8Q1dVZwV1QjEHPXjcXKa32WERmFh%2BXZ8Dp7MsS0xVCU6qzyW7WRvq7BigdoT%2B3m4agz%2FqLRPahSm2wzjgNm9hYNOmNgLvk%2Fayu91xo13hSgR8xtTnpgKF8Gbv%2BQtLooxRZnVPTZxVygVDRD0X5U2JWiXgTeQn6DxAXhSyZbGuAUnx40TTB8jvYH8TRZKpT3CHx9ihJ6qBvyno%2FHmEPnkl0STawA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6i93__aYQ

Is it just me or was it a bit peculiar that he covered up the serial number?

That's actually a common practice all over the world, even for selling like MacBooks and any other item with a serial number on it. I never did it, but I understand some people do it in order to save themselves from possible stealing claims or something. Or to stop counterfeiters to copy the serial number, and other reasons. The stupidest thing I think is to hide the serial numbers of guitars like this Signature Les Paul, where you know it's only 50 of them, so why bother?

I guess the main reason to hide the serial number would simply be it's something personal, unique, and not known to the general public, so I should probably hide it.

Must be my suspicious mind (theres a song about that somewhere...) Its just like Dusty said, I'd actually like to know the serial before purchasing given that for example a first run MK strat would be pretty unique to find now. Surely the serial is part of the value of the instrument.....

I do understand your explanation though.....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?threads/craig-chaquicos-quest-to-get-his-stolen-59-gibson-sunburst-les-paul-guitar-back.199522/

You probably don't want to read this but it's a good reason not to post your guitar serial numbers online.

Long story short, guitarist with Jefferson Airplane had a vintage Les Paul stolen in the 70s. He received an insurance payout for it at the time.

Decades later a guy in America has bought it in good faith. The Airplane guy gets wind of it and ends up trying to sue him to get the guitar back. Turns out he has no legal right to get it back, but in the meantime the owner has built up so much legal costs that he has to sell the guitar to cover them. So neither party ends up owning the guitar - Joe Bonamassa buys it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3au_YUJBD7/?hl=en

Online2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?threads/craig-chaquicos-quest-to-get-his-stolen-59-gibson-sunburst-les-paul-guitar-back.199522/

You probably don't want to read this but it's a good reason not to post your guitar serial numbers online.

Long story short, guitarist with Jefferson Airplane had a vintage Les Paul stolen in the 70s. He received an insurance payout for it at the time.

Decades later a guy in America has bought it in good faith. The Airplane guy gets wind of it and ends up trying to sue him to get the guitar back. Turns out he has no legal right to get it back, but in the meantime the owner has built up so much legal costs that he has to sell the guitar to cover them. So neither party ends up owning the guitar - Joe Bonamassa buys it:

Sad story really. All over a piece of wood!

hunter

The ever-present Joe Bonamassa.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

The ever-present Joe Bonamassa.

I think he got the famous EC's "Beano" LP too, right ?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
If he does he's not telling us!

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Gents, I guess you have seen this pic, but I think it's still worth to bring it up. This is the 1961 Strat next to the Fender Signature Model. Note the difference in the colours. One more orangey, one more pinkish. Also the very aged scratch plate of the 1961 is interesting. It must have seen quite a lot of bar smoke.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The 61 strat was repainted wasn't it?

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Yes, probably multiple times. Mark bought it with the finish stripped down and had it painted in red. Ingo Raven researched this. Later, in the 80s, the guitar developed heavy lacquer checking and it must have been repainted again because you cannot touch up this stuff. This is how it got today's color.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
I suppose once the original finish is gone you might as well re-do it until you are happy.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
very intresting article about the famous "fiesta red" colour (sorry it's in french) :

https://www.emma-music.com/la-couleur-fiesta-red-article-fender-c2x32727409?PGFLngID=0

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 41 queries.