Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: How Mark is dealing with his musical past  (Read 5804 times)

LoveExpresso

How Mark is dealing with his musical past
« on: January 16, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
I got the idea for this thread because during the last months there was much talk about how Mark deals with his old songs, his Dire Straits legacy, because of those cover-bands mainly. Many people accuse him that he doesn't give the right attention to this big song catalogue. Mark however has uttered more than once that he just does not want to play his old stuff anymore - partly because he think it is not good enough, partly because he is just not interested, partly because playing with his current band is too much fun and the stuff they recorded together is just the flavour of the month.

I think about what Mark might think every time I listen to his concerts and submerge into his music. And then I think, well, about his past and playing his old stuff, why should he?

I made the observation for example that Ianto is much better on the songs that he was playing on in the studio, whereas everything from Get Lucky and albums before seem not to be of much interest to him... (just listen to the awful 2013 versions of Piper To The End) and I can understand that... Imagine Mark thinking, god, what a real badass I was around 1990, I would better forget everything I did and said at that decade... just an example. So of course the songs from that time are in a certain light. Same with Communiqu

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: How Mark is dealing with his musical past
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 09:35:49 PM »
You see, LE, this is the sort of thing that I missed when you were away!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
Nice thread DOT.  I think that you are going into a lot of depth there and maybe it is more simple.  I mean, I can look at the past and know that there is a difference between then and now and looking back is only just that - looking.  So for Mark to play an oldie would be just to play a song for a few minutes and that would be it.  It might even be nostalgic.  He could turn it round to make him think of nicer thoughts at the time if it reminded him of bad things because they can't all have been bad.  At the end of the day it's just a song and I think he'll be more concentrated on remembering the words and the chords!

The real reason he doesn't play the old songs any more is because they're too up tempo compared to most of his solo albums (after STP) and he and his ageing band aren't as good at playing them as they used to be.  That's why his albums are slow paced now.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the last tour and TR was much improved too but Sultans was a disaster for the most part.  I would be very pleased to see him try some of the older, slower DS songs - that would be interesting and would fit with the current set and band.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
The things you describe could partially be some of MK's reasons that he doesn't play some of the old songs anymore. Though I think the main reason is exploration of the songs. Most of the songs of that time he has played over and over again. At a certain point you really can't hear them anymore... as in don't wanna hear them anymore, cause you have overplayed them are bored with them. The new songs are fresh and can be explored to be improved.

Besides that I think he also he keeps somekind of fans in mind who want to hear a different setlist each tour.

Anyway, why should he be only playing DS / Old Songs. He still plays songs of the old days.. but he also plays songs from his latest albums. Besides there is kind of formula. If you study the setlist closely you will notice he picks about 1 song from most of the albums he made. And picks 3 or 4 songs from his latest album, cause that are songs from the album he is promoting. It wouldn't make much sense calling it the Privateering Tour if he wouldn't play any songs of that album.

Sultans Of Swing, Romeo & Juliet, Telegraph Road and So Far Away are from his DS period.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:53 PM »
i agrree with guitarman, imagine the amount of times sultans was played? or brothers, or tunnel, or telegraph, at some point, everyone loses interest
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:24 PM »
I can see the point you make Guitarman but R&J and SFA have been played so many times and they are probably the songs with the least amount of room for improvisation of all DS songs!  It (R&J) also happens to be one where the guitar passage is nice and slow for him...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:05:21 AM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »
for me so far away is one of the best songs ever. i know most of you dont like it, but for someone who can find himself in that song is priceless. And obviously mark likes that song too and thats why he still plays it.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 10:43:51 PM »
I can understand why he chooses not to play certain songs these days. Partly because he has written so many! But I also think that he doesn't feel comfortable with some of his old more personal songs. I get the feeling that he doesn't want to express himself like that anymore, perhaps because he is getting old?

I enjoy every era of his career, and I really feel we are lucky that he is so active these days and the music he's creating is great! With that said, I wouldn't mind hearing him play LoG with his nylon acoustic! I just think they could do a great version of it these days.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
for me so far away is one of the best songs ever. i know most of you dont like it, but for someone who can find himself in that song is priceless. And obviously mark likes that song too and thats why he still plays it.
I agree! I didn't think about it that much a few years ago, but somehow it just got to me and I'd say it's one of the best DS songs.

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:46 PM »
I think mostly because Mark  is  a solo artist now, what's the points to dwell on those old DS songs.

That's why we have The Straits, DS legends and other tribute/cover bands play  the old DS songs.  Because Mark doesn't want to play them any more.

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 11:39:33 PM »
And if i started to talk about so far away, here is IMO the best version in the last decade. In final solo Marks guitar sings like not many times.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
fully agree. it is also the only song featuring the city they are playing in (most of the time) that fact alone makes me want for him to keep it,
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
And if i started to talk about so far away, here is IMO the best version in the last decade. In final solo Marks guitar sings like not many times.

I have a soft spot for SFA too, and I really love the Lucca 2013 version! So much energy, great licks! If you don't know it, xardas, give it a try!!  :thumbsup

I remember 1996, how surprised I was to hear Water Of Love again, and boy, I loved that version. Nice new bass line, absolute cool summer night tune...

I also agree about overplayed songs, and really, I didn't miss Sultans that much last year... after listening to several versions, I chose the Milan 2013 the best one (for me) and lost somewhat interest in it after listening to worse ones after that.. I mean, how many live versions of Sultans can one have on his hard drive? But I would probably go nuts if he would choose, let's say... Lions! ... again and played it, this band would be perfect for it. Also the variation of songs he played on the first part of the 2013 tour should not be unterrated - although it was probably only done because of the only reason to initiate stick sales!  ;)

LE

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »
I believe that our "mistake" in viewing the whole matter, is that we have knowledge and focus only to MK's output, studio and live, while his life is so much more than that, (don't forget the time used to compose, straighten out, rehearse and record)  but of course he keeps it to himself. The new songs are inter-weaved to his current life and state of mind, so going back at his old numbers must seem much more old and tiring than it is to us. 
I love SFA, perhaps the only hit from BiA that I still listen with pleasure.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
Sorry Ladies and Gents but am I missing the point here as it feels that some of these entry's are intent on putting MK down and just curious as to why?

MK is still MK and although older now is still a wonderful Baladeer and exceptional guitarist in my eyes. I can't grasp the 'He has to play things slower now'  - well he does but I think he expresses more from the Guitar nowadays and actually makes it sing as opposed to the DS days!

After all peeps he is 20+ years older than when he stormed through SOS and TR on the 'On every Street' tour....

Hell guys get a grip! and enjoy the moment....

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 42 queries.