Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Everly Brothers  (Read 3965 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
The Everly Brothers
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:49:34 PM »
For reasons that are pretty obvious, I recently pulled out an old cassette recording I made of an Everly Brothers concert we attended about 25 years ago. I just got round to playing it today. By golly, their version of "Why Worry?" was something, wasn't it?

« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:52:02 PM by twm »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: The Everly Brothers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 12:23:12 AM »
nice, would you be able to somehow share that?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 01:42:36 AM »
No problem in principle but no means to do so at present. Just to warn you, though, it's not the best recording I've ever made. I've probably said already somewhere (in which case I apolgise for repeating it) but we met the Everly Brothers and the band  at their hotel the next day and got our programmme signed. There's a bit of a tale to that, as well.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:20 PM »
well then, do tell us the tale pls...

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »
I am sure I have mentioned this before.

Mrs twm really likes the Everly Brothers (since her youth, in fact) and, when they came to a venue just a mile or so from where we live, there was no doubt we would go. They did two shows on the Saturday and we went to the earlier show, so that we could take our youngest along for the experience.   As the show approached, we found that Ralph McTell was the support act. I had known Ralph McTell a very little bit in my youth and, since the date was 3 October 1987 and the twentieth anniversary of Woody Guthrie

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
I met Pete Winfield and Phil Everly outside the Aberdeen Capitol circa 1993 (met MK and all the 96ers at the same spot in 96.)

Phil was friendly and signed my programme.  Don did a runner and didn't do any autographs.  :(

A couple who were there saw how disappointed I was not to have met Don and took me straight back to their house where they gave me their signed programme (complete with Don's autograph. ) :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
TWM, if you would like to get your cassette copy into a digital format in order to share I run a small studio with equipment to do this. We could then upload somewhere and share. Let me know what you think.

Great story by the way.....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
the waterboys? always used to love that one album, as in really admiring the whole ting "Dream Harder"

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »
2manyguitars, at the moment, I don't have the means to transfer cassettes to digital. I have been thinking of buying a set-up that allows me to do so but have not yet done so. Your offer is appreciated and I may well take you up on it in due course, if that's OK.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:57:07 PM »
No worries TWM, just let me know if you need any help, if the recording isn't that great it may be worth some tweaking in pro tools, and putting through a decent mastering plugin.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 09:34:33 PM »
Thanks. Mainly, the recording is a touch dull but it sounds better if you tweak the treble up. I didn't over-record it, so it can take this without distortion.  The venue is a sports hall most of the time, with very little by way of soft furnishings or curtains to absorb reverberations, so you get a slightly "boxy" sound. The inevitable clapping is close to the mike but much less intrusive than you get on some audience recordings.

The Everly Brothers part lasts about 53 minutes but the odd thing is that they are followed by Ralph McTell on the cassette. Since he opened the show and since the first part of the cassette almost exactly fits 45 minutes, this makes me think that it may not be the original master cassette but a dub. When recording, I would usually flip a cassette well before Side One ran out. As I have hundreds and hundreds of cassettes, all in boxes in the garage, I'll have to see if I can locate a master recording. That alone may take a while.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 11:28:35 PM »
As I have hundreds and hundreds of cassettes, all in boxes in the garage, I'll have to see if I can locate a master recording. That alone may take a while.

You'll need to rake out those uncirculated DS recordings! ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 05:35:38 AM »
---and those hillbily shows. and those dylan shows, and that Pink Floyd Games for may show, together with the UFO performances :-)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »
I have made very few NHB, DS or MK recordings and those few belong to mrs twm, as they were made for her, not me.  And, anyway, I don't know what's "circulated" and what's "uncirculated".  I may be wrong on this but, as far as I'm aware, nothing in circulation that came from her was originally recorded by me.

As for Games For May - I wish! And I never went to the UFO club.

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
Went trawling through boxes earlier today. Found the master recording of the Everly Brothers concert but it was recorded on fairly poor quality tape (probably a last minute decison to record the show, as I tended to record on good quality tape). If it sounds any better than the dub, it is marginal.

I found some other bits and pieces:

(1) an official promo cassette for "Wag The Dog", with a properly printed insert and a properly printed card "sleeve", the same 8 tracks on each side

(2) a few MK interviews from radio shows: "Stereo Sequence" 1991, "Roots" 1996, "A Good Read" 1997 and "A Song For Geordie" 1997. Don't ask what's on them as it must be years since I played them

I also came across a few "audience" recordings. Is there an on-line check-list (or similar) of unofficial DS/NHB/MK recordings that are circulating?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.