Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146846 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:49 AM »
I always wondered if "Everybody Pays" was for his brother...

I always thought the same, the "Shadowlands" reference, is key, as it´s a song of DK...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2015, 10:46:30 AM »
As for JI, well, he is touring under his own name (no Straits in it)

*cough* http://www.direstraitslegends.com

double cough :)

He was not touring with them as band member, but as guest star.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2015, 10:48:08 AM »
I always thought that MK was a real gentleman, this sort of things might be solved in private, not with a song. I don't like this attitude. Too rude in my opinion, sentences are quite direct and humiliating

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2015, 11:01:23 AM »
I always thought that MK was a real gentleman, this sort of things might be solved in private, not with a song. I don't like this attitude. Too rude in my opinion, sentences are quite direct and humiliating
On top of that, this song is the only one that is quite rocking, with a great guitar solo.... but this is only a "bonus" song ! as if the message was: "Dire Straits was me, and only me. You see, I can still do it, if I want. But I can't be bothered anymore, so this will just be a bonus track."
Could almost have been called "F*** you, Alan".
Interesting. Looks like another Waters/Gilmour feud (altough these two and Mark are in the sa same elite league, which is not Alan's case, so it's all the more harsher: slapping people that are not your equals).
Mark must have been taking very badly the fact that Alan claimed that he co-wrote TR. It is true that Alan was quite arrogant on that one.
But was it worth it to slap him in the face ?
I don't think so.
Well, part of me does think so. After all, we've got a DS-grade song !

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
On top of that, this song is the only one that is quite rocking, with a great guitar solo.... but this is only a "bonus" song ! as if the message was: "Dire Straits was me, and only me. You see, I can still do it, if I want. But I can't be bothered anymore, so this will just be a bonus track."
Could almost have been called "F*** you, Alan".
Interesting. Looks like another Waters/Gilmour feud (altough these two and Mark are in the sa same elite league, which is not Alan's case, so it's all the more harsher: slapping people that are not your equals).
Mark must have been taking very badly the fact that Alan claimed that he co-wrote TR. It is true that Alan was quite arrogant on that one.
But was it worth it to slap him in the face ?
I don't think so.
Well, part of me does think so. After all, we've got a DS-grade song !

I on the other hand think it's a well deserved slap. MK lets the music do the talking. Arrogant or not, it's his way of speaking out.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2015, 11:14:15 AM »
Alan says he contributed a lot to the DS songs, and if you listen to everything from DS before and after Alan you will notice a big chance in musical terms. We also know that MK doesn´t want to share credits, and Guy had told many times that as long as MK write the song, whatever the musicians add is part of their job... that shows clearly that DS wasn´t more than MK´s band. I´m sure that Alan not only co-wrote TR (probably in musical terms only, the lyrics and main idea is 100% MK) but many of the DS arrangements during his time with the band, but, again, MK never wanted to share any credits, as he write the songs. So I don´t blame Alan for that, he is right telling he had a part on the compositions, but he didn´t assume his rol as a hired musso like Guy did/does. It´s not that Alan was arrogant, was naive, he should had assumed that his rol, even composing, adding music to MK´s song, was part of his work, getting no credit for it further than your payment.

For sure MK didn´t like Alan telling that, but this song is not only a slap in his face, it´s a "Your nobody, you never were, and you never will", totally unnecessary.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2015, 11:26:20 AM »
The thing with Mark is I can imagine him answering an interviewer asking about this song and him saying he wrote the whole thing while watching an Elvis impersonator in Portland.

I can also imagine that Fletch mainly because he doesn't seem to like the discussion and interpretation within the Fandom about why he's writing a song!! I remember on the BBC doc. in 1979 that he reacted very strongly when the Journalist said to him that the Public would try to read between the lines and he answered directly, Well they're going to get the wrong impression!!! :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
We don´t know what has been between Mark and Alan. But we remember when in a interview Alan said something like "Mark wasn´t that big part of Dire Straits". Whatever the meaning or original point was that is quite cruel too. If it was a joke, it is not a good one. Of course, we understand different opinions and it is of course the best way, because we really don´t know how the things have been.

However, I think that this is about the Straits and not Dire Straits legends etc, which have been acting differently in posters and interviews. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:31:51 AM by Silvertown »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
I can see your point...
I have recently rewatched the excellent BBC arena documentary (with fantastic live sections btw) on the Alchemy Blu Ray.
This was shot in march 1980, during the last months before David left. You can feel how tense the relationship is on the film...
Food for thought, there is this dialogue that can seem hilarious (or very sad) today:
- Journalist: you are the sole composer, the lead guitarist, the lead vocalist... do which extent Dire Straits is just an extention of you, MK ?
- MK: To no extent. It's all about the band, being together, doing music together.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
Alan says he contributed a lot to the DS songs, and if you listen to everything from DS before and after Alan you will notice a big chance in musical terms. We also know that MK doesn´t want to share credits, and Guy had told many times that as long as MK write the song, whatever the musicians add is part of their job... that shows clearly that DS wasn´t more than MK´s band. I´m sure that Alan not only co-wrote TR (probably in musical terms only, the lyrics and main idea is 100% MK) but many of the DS arrangements during his time with the band, but, again, MK never wanted to share any credits, as he write the songs. So I don´t blame Alan for that, he is right telling he had a part on the compositions, but he didn´t assume his rol as a hired musso like Guy did/does. It´s not that Alan was arrogant, was naive, he should had assumed that his rol, even composing, adding music to MK´s song, was part of his work, getting no credit for it further than your payment.

For sure MK didn´t like Alan telling that, but this song is not only a slap in his face, it´s a "Your nobody, you never were, and you never will", totally unnecessary.

Absolutely Jbaent, that's the way I feel also but MK has maybe lost his temper and the words he wrote were coming out of anger!!!??? We don't know what kind of nice words AC used when they discussed back then!! As I said MK's reaction threw Terminal of Tribute to, must have been the result of something really wrong and bad between them!! I guess we'll never get the answer!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinejoanzimm

• Camerado
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
So many of MK's songs today are reflections on his past.  Usually they don't have this level of anger behind them.  In a way, I wish they did because this is an awesome song.  He got fired up.  Damn!  :clap
It's hard sometimes but pretty much it's alright

OfflineIngo

• Camerado
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
MK never wanted to share any credits

This sounds a bit misleading to me. I think every musician will bring in his own parts automatically. Rock music is not composed like an opera - this is the transcription for your part, please play it - but starts with a rough idea of the song (chords, lyrics, melody) and the rest develops. Including everybody's name in the composer credits will cause nothing but problems with the publishing side of the business and does not make sense for this reason.

In the case of TR and Alan, we know that Mark and Alan worked together on the song, I think it is even mentioned in the Oldfield book. Possibly even complete parts or blocks - I can imagine  that e.g. parts from the 'camera' section after 'three lanes moving slow' - might be based on Alan's input, but the 'song' (in the sense I described before) is Mark's composition alone.
my Mark Knopfler guitar style website:
http://www.mk-guitar.com/

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
To me this is a nasty and disingenuous song,Is it really necessary to kick these guys in public.Musically good or not, just don't feel comfortable listening to it.

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2015, 03:30:08 PM »
To me this is a nasty and disingenuous song,Is it really necessary to kick these guys in public.Musically good or not, just don't feel comfortable listening to it.

well I am not completely comfortable too

to avoid confusion it would help a lot to know officially who exactly it is referred to

I mean, it's now official ? Fine, explain what's behind it as it occurs for any other song

And if there is misunderstanding, lets keep the real thing to avoid a snowball.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
That´s true. When it comes to Mark this could also be about another band. Mark always likes when words can have many meanings.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 37 queries.