Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146876 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
MK never wanted to share any credits

This sounds a bit misleading to me. I think every musician will bring in his own parts automatically. Rock music is not composed like an opera - this is the transcription for your part, please play it - but starts with a rough idea of the song (chords, lyrics, melody) and the rest develops. Including everybody's name in the composer credits will cause nothing but problems with the publishing side of the business and does not make sense for this reason.

In the case of TR and Alan, we know that Mark and Alan worked together on the song, I think it is even mentioned in the Oldfield book. Possibly even complete parts or blocks - I can imagine  that e.g. parts from the 'camera' section after 'three lanes moving slow' - might be based on Alan's input, but the 'song' (in the sense I described before) is Mark's composition alone.

Ingo, the credits thing demonstrates what kind of band one is...

If you take a look to any Toto, or Led Zeppelin record, if the bass player, keyboard, drummer etc added to the song any particular line, groove, whatever, they got their credit, as they were in a band, a true band. No matter who came with the lyrics, if any other member contributed to the song, they got credit.

Dire Straits was not a band like, let's say, Toto or Led Zeppelin, it doesn't matter if the drummer bones with a great groove, the keyboardist with a great oiano, Hammond line, they got no credit as they were no members of a band, they were hired guns. That's to me makes DS not a real band, just a MK vehicle.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
Yes this song is the best.
Thanks to it I have given a second chance to the album, which is growing on me.
I love laughs... Basil, and especially long cool girl and skydiver.
But what shocks me even more than the harshness of the lyrics is the fact that this song is not part of the Mail album, only the deluxe edition... Mark's message: I can still do DS stuff, but I can't be bothered. This is only to slap Alan...
It's an absolute gem and not difficult to be the best song of KTGC part 2.
Not sure I can give it a second chance. I only keep Laugh and Jokes and Beryl.
It's a commercial suicide to put Terminal of Tribute To on the bonus CD.
There's nothing on that album and that song would have been a killer.

Nothing maybe for you; for me it is the best solo record he has ever done, so much soul and personality, wonderful melodies, from folk (Laugh) to Hendrix (Hot Dog). For me it´s a gift.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
But what shocks me even more than the harshness of the lyrics is the fact that this song is not part of the Mail album, only the deluxe edition... Mark's message: I can still do DS stuff, but I can't be bothered. This is only to slap Alan...

Nothing maybe for you; for me it is the best solo record he has ever done, so much soul and personality, wonderful melodies, from folk (Laugh) to Hendrix (Hot Dog). For me it´s a gift.

Well said  :thumbsup
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2015, 04:28:40 PM »

I think I agree. Hard to point out "the best", but Tracker is without doubt one of them. Soul and personality. Exactly :) 
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
I also agree. It's my favourite album. Sorry for you, tunnel, that you can't find anything in it what you're looking for. I hope for you the next time!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Another one here to add to best album yet!! Such variety and such deep lyrics/music and MK guitar too! Something we have been missing. Mind you he seems to be enjoying it so long may it continue......
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2015, 05:20:01 PM »
Same here - absolutely no skippers on Tracker and that includes all the bonus songs!    :thumbsup

@Tunnel85 - Keep on listening!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
Another one here to add to best album yet!! Such variety and such deep lyrics/music and MK guitar too! Something we have been missing. Mind you he seems to be enjoying it so long may it continue......

You said it Knopflerfan!! that's what it is!!! And yes hopefully he'll compose more albums like this one because he's a devoted Musician!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2015, 05:28:16 PM »
I think the global tempo of the album is slow...especially Silver Eagle, Lights of Taormina, River Towns, Mighty Man, Basil, Time Will End All Sorrows, Long Cool Girl, My Heart Has Never Changed and Heart Of Oak.... Half of the album is avoided if you're tired and don't want to fall asleep !
My favorites are Skydiver, Terminal of Tribute to and Oklahoma Ponies !
Broken Bones can be a killer played live ! Same for Beryl and Laughs etc...
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »
I'm not getting the deal about MK playing slow tracks, I mean so what!! No snoozy tracks for us Im afraid. Listen to and understand the lyrics which are so deep, maybe deeper than normal along with such melodic musicianship from the whole band! More MK guitar too which has been so lacking.. I have been listening on top quality headphones and there is actually so much going on in each tune from MK alone that it is frightening. Thank goodness some of these tracks are not fast as you would miss so much....

Dire Straits - RIP (thank goodness) New age MK - very much alive!!!!!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:42:55 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
I totaly agree with you!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
"Pick out a pretty one and toss your hair.", could this be about AC picking Terence Reis? He has lovely hair. Seems funny old AC with young Terence?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2015, 06:38:12 PM »
"Pick out a pretty one and toss your hair.", could this be about AC picking Terence Reis? He has lovely hair. Seems funny old AC with young Terence?
That was exactly my thought.

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

I think it's more generally about certain rock star airs and graces some of these musicians seem to have (the "pretty one" is a girl in the audience and the musicians tosses his hair in a rock-cliché-way) and how silly it appears to behave this way, especially when you're older - and not a real star but a wannabee...

I really like this song, although I think the lyrics are a bit too offending. I mean, musicians have to eat, too. And I really believe that Alan Clark & Co. have fun playing these old songs. They pay tribute to the songs of MK and he gets the royalties. And every tribute band has a band name that refers to the original band or a certain song. There are still a lot of DS fans who don't really like the new stuff and are happy to go to a concert where you not only get SOS and SFA but a lot more (and sometimes with even better guitar work...).

I've been to Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd concerts and they are marvellous. Nobody would expect them to be the real Pink Floyd - although you tend to if you close your eyes. David Gilmour even invited the latter to his birthday because he was so amazed. That's a far more relaxed and friendly way to deal with musicians who admire other songwriters.

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »
That was exactly my thought.

"Pick out a pretty one (guitar from the Fenders mentioned above) and toss your hair.
Seems foolish (tossing your hair) when you're older" ....that's what in my mind

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.