Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146869 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #150 on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »
Couldn't have put it better myself Herlock.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #151 on: March 15, 2015, 08:32:44 PM »
About John, they are more than friends, I think it is not the same thing, when at the beginning you shared 120 bucks and you had nothing but just enough to eat and you still playing and enjoying it, you have the right to play those songs and be proud of it.

Yes of course, thats out of question. My point was that the balance is just not my preference as I would prefer more of his own songs instead. But I fully agree, John is a totally different thing than the straits or other tribute bands.
John is the ideal number 2, who never complains and is faithful to the boss no matter what - a real saint, really. Must be very tough to cope with MK's temper...
John is highly respected for that among MK fans and has earned his little place under the sunshine. Time for him to shine a little bit. Yes I also would have preferred him to play more of his own songs... But at least he made some songs of his own !
Alan's case could have been similar. After all he joined DS as a full member
In 1980, not so long after it all started, and he probably brought many things and ideas. His keyboards skills are quite outstanding (see TOL on Alchemy/Wembley !). His major faults are not that much "The straits" per say, but all these interviews saying that he co-wrote TR and that MK was not that a big part of DS. Had he be contented with playing some old songs with a few ex-members that probably Mark would have smiled and not cared much. But all this tralala about it as if it was a major event, a reformation of DS... This is like Icarus: if you go to close to the sun, don't be surprised to be burnt. My 2 cents.

yes, herlock, good points

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #152 on: March 15, 2015, 10:32:18 PM »
Guy just said that TOTT is on the provisional set list !!!!!! B

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #153 on: March 15, 2015, 10:33:34 PM »
So was On Every Street!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #154 on: March 15, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Aargh I should have known: never ask two questions in one to Guy, he will just answer the easy one... He completely ignored my question about Alan Clark !!! :(

Don't understand Mark: the song is only a bonus one, but he wants to play live (that is, slap Alan face live every night or so). Contradictory to me... But this one is going to be awesome live !!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #155 on: March 15, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »
So was On Every Street!
Rrrrahhhh don't remind me of that ! :(

LoveExpresso

« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2015, 10:40:10 PM »
Yes, we have no idea what a "provisional set list" really means: Songs that "possibly" could be played, because of band members, available guitars, technical reasons and so on. Maybe the whole Tracker album is on it.

LE

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2015, 10:45:47 PM »
Aargh I should have known: never ask two questions in one to Guy, he will just answer the easy one... He completely ignored my question about Alan Clark !!! :(

Don't understand Mark: the song is only a bonus one, but he wants to play live (that is, slap Alan face live every night or so). Contradictory to me... But this one is going to be awesome live !!

Mark has always been a mystery man so I guess that we'll never have an answer to this question even if a Journalist is asking him to tell why!!! I certainly really hope that he is going to play TOTT live!!! :thumbsup
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #158 on: March 15, 2015, 11:01:55 PM »

Some things are better left unanswered. They have even more powerful meaning that way. I can imagine it must be quite uncomfortable for Guy to answer this one. Since the message is clear why bother asking.

I like your Icarus comparison, herlock.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: March 15, 2015, 11:03:29 PM »
Guy just said that TOTT is on the provisional set list !!!!!! B

I'm the one who asked the question and never thought he'd answer that.
He usually never say anything about setlists...

So was On Every Street!

It was for the cancelled TRD tour in 2003...
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #160 on: March 15, 2015, 11:10:02 PM »

Some things are better left unanswered. They have even more powerful meaning that way. I can imagine it must be quite uncomfortable for Guy to answer this one. Since the message is clear why bother asking.

If I'm not mistaken Alan and Guy were buddies ? They used to go windsurfing together ? And now Guys says that this awesome but violent TOTT is his very favorite...
Ho well. Yet another example of how fragile human relationships are...

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2015, 11:25:19 PM »
So, now Alan Clark was humiliated completely for the eternity in the sacred place of the genuine music of MK. If the song would be played life also in front the audience & world would get worse . I'm very disappointed of MK doing it this way especially when all is finished now and The Straits splitted up. Sound like revenge for me. Would be better if he would say it in an interview, on his site, or just calling him "listen ash***, do not mess with my music". It all be OK.
 It's clear now these two have old scores to settle down.

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2015, 11:33:54 PM »

Sincerely I'd really like an answer.

I mean, even if AC did really behave badly or even very badly, I still feel somewhat unhappy about MK targeting him in a song, especially in an excellent song which I love musically (my fav of the album) .

So I'd really like to know who is the target officially.

MK would never answer directly nor Guy...but I have not doubts it's about Alan

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »
AC is never mentioned in the Song, so it should not be a problem at all. MK didn't offend anyone personally, neither anyone of his ex band mates nor the Straits. This is all well done, fair and perfectly ok. There is no real damage made. Whereas the precise information that you demand, more out of the feeling of curiousity could cause the real damage.

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2015, 11:49:31 PM »
AC is never mentioned in the Song, so it should not be a problem at all. MK didn't offend anyone personally, neither anyone of his ex band mates nor the Straits. This is all well done, fair and perfectly ok. There is no real damage made. Whereas the precise information that you demand, more out of the feeling of curiousity could cause the real damage.

Agree! It would be better if we stop digging deep inside and just enjoy the music. Or talk about the next song or even better for the next MK album.  ;D ;D ;D

If there is a message to somebody in this lyrics I'm sure it has already reached him.
13 pages are enough for this song, the others have 5-6 and it's not fair

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.