Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 147527 times)

surferboy

Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
I know. I wanted to add to joanzimm's remark that most in the audience probably wouldn't know about what MK's songs are about and what MK might think about that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:04:40 PM by surferboy »

OfflineD44mu

• Guitar George
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2015, 12:30:36 PM »
Just two notes from me.
When I first listened to this Song, i hold the booklet in my hands. I saw a big painted Mark with it's typical headband. For me it was a big hint of what this song is all about.

Guy told in his forum that this song is the best for him.
I wonder why: because of the typical Dire Straits sound or
because of the meaning of this text?
Perhaps both?

Nevertheless this Song is great and the melody reminds me of the past.

foma

« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2015, 12:35:32 PM »
Just two notes from me.
When I first listened to this Song, i hold the booklet in my hands. I saw a big painted Mark with it's typical headband. For me it was a big hint of what this song is all about.

Guy told in his forum that this song is the best for him.
I wonder why: because of the typical Dire Straits sound or
because of the meaning of this text?
Perhaps both?

Nevertheless this Song is great and the melody reminds me of the past.

I think it now will be a default 'favourite song' for Guy to answer, because it just can't be any favourite songs at all (on the album, on the decade, on the lifetime, etc.), but by giving answer with this song he do the job twice, as answer about tribute bands AND as answer about favourite song. Smart ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2015, 01:03:29 PM »
The intro is a bit spooky...brings to mind ghosts and ghools or perhaps Most Haunted, the theme tune of which AC composed.

Naughty, naughty

Brings to mind Diamonds Are Forever in the first couple of seconds.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Is it the lyrics in general that makes you think its about AC or is it a specific line that discovers it ?
As I see it the inspiration can also come from another member in a band he has been in touch with.

Cheers Peter

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2015, 01:41:01 PM »
Is it the lyrics in general that makes you think its about AC or is it a specific line that discovers it ?
As I see it the inspiration can also come from another member in a band he has been in touch with.

For me it's the chip on his shoulder line that does it.  This is clearly aimed at AC's comments he made in promo interviews for The Straits shows.  It was our very own Dusty what wrote that line you know!  ;D
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2015, 02:02:04 PM »
I see I see, I had to Google the meaning of "chip on his shoulder". If its really AC he must have pissed MK off ... especially "you never made it, and you never will" is harsh. But the song is brilliant and already a favorite. Cant wait to hear it live    :thumbsup
Cheers Peter

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Isn't it a bigger smack on the head of Terence Reis' more so than AC's?  :hmm
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2015, 02:50:43 PM »
After reading a ton of comments to this song,I think its more a smack to AC than Terence. As I recall Terence was found by AC and hired as a unknown musician to join them. I guess Terence saw an option to get out there and grabbed it.   
Cheers Peter

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2015, 08:24:09 PM »
So, now Alan Clark was humiliated completely for the eternity in the sacred place of the genuine music of MK. If the song would be played life also in front the audience & world would get worse . I'm very disappointed of MK doing it this way especially when all is finished now and The Straits splitted up. Sound like revenge for me. Would be better if he would say it in an interview, on his site, or just calling him "listen ash***, do not mess with my music". It all be OK.
 It's clear now these two have old scores to settle down.

I'm not sure "The Straits thing" is really finished. With his next band attempt AC will most certainly try again to get attention by using DS material heavily.

From AC on his website: "I may also be involved in a very exciting Dire Straits related project later this year; watch this space."
http://www.alanclarkmusic.com/straits%20page.html

What can one say about that in the terminal of tribute to...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
This is a very exciting TV serial what we are following with this song!! MK verses AC what's going to happen in next episode?? Lol...
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2015, 10:28:46 PM »
This is a very exciting TV serial what we are following with this song!! MK verses AC what's going to happen in next episode?? Lol...

After Alias Lost Fringe Person of Interest Star Trek and Star Wars, JJ Abrams will probably work on this one :D

Yes indeed Pensaboy!!! Would be a very good idea!!! :thumbsup :clap
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #192 on: March 16, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »

After Alias Lost Fringe Person of Interest Star Trek and Star Wars, JJ Abrams will probably work on this one :D

Yes indeed Pensaboy!!! Would be a very good idea!!! :thumbsup :clap

I have a very interesting vid that you all have seen before from Dortmund in 1980!!! Who was the Boss there?? MK or AC??!!!!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #193 on: March 16, 2015, 11:52:06 PM »
So, now Alan Clark was humiliated completely for the eternity in the sacred place of the genuine music of MK. If the song would be played life also in front the audience & world would get worse . I'm very disappointed of MK doing it this way especially when all is finished now and The Straits splitted up. Sound like revenge for me. Would be better if he would say it in an interview, on his site, or just calling him "listen ash***, do not mess with my music". It all be OK.
 It's clear now these two have old scores to settle down.

I'm not sure "The Straits thing" is really finished. With his next band attempt AC will most certainly try again to get attention by using DS material heavily.

From AC on his website: "I may also be involved in a very exciting Dire Straits related project later this year; watch this space."
http://www.alanclarkmusic.com/straits%20page.html

What can one say about that in the terminal of tribute to...

That might be that project that Phil Palmer mentioned to our Ingrid...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »
Must be Jbaent. You can like or dislike it. I am going to see them. Great musicians, playing the music I love. I think the song is about AC because of his interviews and not because people cover DS music. It's pretending to be DS what's wrong. Phil made it absolutely clear to me that his take is  and I quote here what he wrote to me: "to celebrate the music with passion and respect"  and "no wish to challenge the great spirit of a wonderful band and the genius of MK in which it was my privilege to be involved for a short time" I talked quit a long time with him and e-mailed a little up and down with him, and I really felt he was honest to me about this. Actually passionate about playing the music he really loves.

So if they do what Phil told me and don't put it as a reunion (Phil told me: " it's not a reunion of any description") I am happy with it. But you all know promotors, journalists and so on will link it to DS even if the band doesn't want to.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 41 queries.