Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146821 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2015, 12:27:34 PM »
Erm,  No more Warbler and the Guitar goes further in this album DMG!! ;)
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2015, 02:50:01 PM »
Thanks  Shangri la great revue of that wonderful song. By the way where is the link to the entire Hansen Movie. i did not find it ? Is it on AMIT TV?
I have edited the post to show the YT link.  ;)

OK thanks a lot Shangri la! :thumbsup :clap :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
It doesn't matter to much to whom he's referring to exactly, I think ("tossing your hear" can't be about Alan, that's for sure ;)). If it is a slap in the face – and yes, it is! - then it's a slap in the face of the whole concept of tribute bands and the sad sort of people who are ready to participate in it for money. I always thought tribute acts were a silly thing (if you have any musical talent, then come on, us it to create something new), and they're particularly ridiculous when done by people who were part of the real thing, and could easily make a living as studio musicians, or whatever. It's just a very, very, very ... uncool thing to do. So as far as I'm concerned, that slap is well deserved, by whoever it may concern.

How anyone - Alan, Phil or others - can seriously consider repeating their "tribute" tours after hearing this song is beyond me. I can hardly believe it will happen. I mean, HOW embarassing would that be? If it really happens, I'll go to one of the shows and hold up a sign asking for "Terminal of Tribute to"

foma

« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
It doesn't matter to much to whom he's referring to exactly, I think ("tossing your hear" can't be about Alan, that's for sure ;)). If it is a slap in the face – and yes, it is! - then it's a slap in the face of the whole concept of tribute bands and the sad sort of people who are ready to participate in it for money. I always thought tribute acts were a silly thing (if you have any musical talent, then come on, us it to create something new), and they're particularly ridiculous when done by people who were part of the real thing, and could easily make a living as studio musicians, or whatever. It's just a very, very, very ... uncool thing to do. So as far as I'm concerned, that slap is well deserved, by whoever it may concern.

How anyone - Alan, Phil or others - can seriously consider repeating their "tribute" tours after hearing this song is beyond me. I can hardly believe it will happen. I mean, HOW embarassing would that be? If it really happens, I'll go to one of the shows and hold up a sign asking for "Terminal of Tribute to"

I go around city and from time to time see, for instance, ADRIANO CELENTANO CONCERT poster with small tiny 'tribute show' added.

How self-denial could man be to do that? Obviously we all need money, and obviously it's easy to copy someone, just buy same guitars, and hopefully, with some work, it will sound very similar. But I find myself a little bit guilty even to copy Mark's music for my YouTube covers. It's almost on the verge of self-denial to me.

To play Mark's songs, while being his friend or whatever in the past, it's like hopping around somebody, waving hands at his face and saying 'Air is free!'.

foma

« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2015, 05:47:24 PM »
If those tribute acts have a decent sense of humour (which I seriously doubt they have) they must have already learned the 'Terminal of Tribute' song to play it first on their concerts. Or, maaaaaaaaybe, the whole setlist with just one song, like Mark did with Rudiger. Remember that? ;D

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2015, 05:48:16 PM »
As you know I disagree with that something is wrong with tributebands. Not everyone who is an excellent musician can write songs (and earn money with it).
There's a lot of demand for tributebands. It's nice to hear the songs played again by excellent musicians. It's nice our own forummembers give it a try too, and I must say sometimes really good!

foma

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2015, 06:00:09 PM »
As you know I disagree with that something is wrong with tributebands. Not everyone who is an excellent musician can write songs (and earn money with it).
There's a lot of demand for tributebands. It's nice to hear the songs played again by excellent musicians. It's nice our own forummembers give it a try too, and I must say sometimes really good!

You made me think about something about I never think before. What if only musicians hate tribute acts? It'l like, let's se... if they chosen an easy way.

I never heard a non-musician cursing about tribute acts. Because normal people get songs anyway, and song is the king.

I also have to mention that 99% of classical music is a enormous tribute act. Even composer's name are written first before any musician's name.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #232 on: March 18, 2015, 06:07:55 PM »
Even composer's name are written first before any musician's name.

Thats true, I know that as long time visitor of the Viennese opera and famous Musikverein; by the way that´s exactly what has not happened with the straits, MK as composer of all songs has even not been mentioned.

Again I really have the impression that one has to distinguish between the straits and other, 'normal' tribute acts, also regarding the money argument (I could hardly believe that AC or Phil Palmer need money, but maybe I am naive here...)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 06:22:44 PM by junkiedoll »

foma

« Reply #233 on: March 18, 2015, 07:00:17 PM »
Even Guy himself said he's not so worthy as may people thinks he is. It's Mark who have his millions, others are pretty ordinary people I believe.

foma

« Reply #234 on: March 18, 2015, 07:43:05 PM »
Here's my levels of any non-classical musician's happiness and unhappiness:

++ Write own music
+ Playing for free
Non-musician
- Teaching
-- Tribute act

So I'm going to stay with music as a hobby if nothing else would happen. I hate teaching, and I hate tributes, so I'm up to playing for free or to write.

That's it.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #235 on: March 18, 2015, 09:32:44 PM »
The Hansen movie is that around 6 minute short thing, the 23 minute long British Grove Interview is not from Hansen. It seems there was a little confusion about it.

LE

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #236 on: March 18, 2015, 10:10:31 PM »

Thats true, I know that as long time visitor of the Viennese opera and famous Musikverein; by the way that´s exactly what has not happened with the straits, MK as composer of all songs has even not been mentioned

You are NOT correct ! Have you ever been in their concert? Terence Reis in every gig had a short speech about Mark Knopfler writing all these amazing songs! 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:14:13 PM by Slavi »

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #237 on: March 18, 2015, 10:30:37 PM »

Thats true, I know that as long time visitor of the Viennese opera and famous Musikverein; by the way that´s exactly what has not happened with the straits, MK as composer of all songs has even not been mentioned

You are NOT correct ! Have you ever been in their concert? Terence Reis in every gig had a short speech about Mark Knopfler writing all these amazing songs!

Ok, I've heard the opposite from other people who where at RAH, but maybe Reis gave him a short footnote later. No, of course I have not been, I was not so eager to go to the terminal, but thats a matter of taste...

Offlinezigner

• Guitar George
« Reply #238 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:43 PM »

As far as I know there are no rights attached to playing songs from other artists. There are rights attached to the writing, the publishing, and the playback of disks. Now if whoever wants to play Sultans in front of whatever crowd,  I think nobody can stop them...

I don't think you are correct about the rights for performing a song.  Live performances do result in royalty fees.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #239 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:47 PM »
The Hansen movie is that around 6 minute short thing, the 23 minute long British Grove Interview is not from Hansen. It seems there was a little confusion about it.

LE

LE yes you're right, the first doc is Tracker Tracks by Tracks and it's on Vevo YouTube but I for exemple don't have access to the Hansen Movie I'm sure!!! I haven't bought the big box!! Thanks anyway!! :wave
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:54:17 PM by Marijo58 »
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 49 queries.