Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146814 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
I think MK has certainly mellowed over the years, and is actually quite a shy man...
Incidentally he was brilliant when I met him in September 2013, he spoke quite happily to me and shook my hand!  :clap
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #286 on: March 28, 2015, 09:14:16 PM »
Ok, so Alan has updated his site today with what he says sre his final words on the Straits affair below. He even uses the word Tribute, so I guess he has heard or heard about the song...looks like he is distancing himself from the whole thing in a way...I do like his last sentence though at the end...

"When I put together The Straits, initially to play at a charity show at the Albert hall, it was always my intention not only to play our own versions, our own arrangements of the songs from the Dire Straits catalogue, but also and most importantly, once we decded to continue and do more gigs, to add some of our own songs with a view to eventually make a record of that original material. While the majority of the band were also of that mind, a couple of the guys were against the idea, prefering to stick to performing only Dire Straits' material and, for the rest of us, doing only that, ie being in a tribute band, was not something that myself and my illustrious colleagues Steve Ferrone, Phil Palmer etc ever wanted or intended The Straits to be and, unfortunately, that's pretty much what it became. So, a year or so ago, those who want to play only the Dire Straits back catalogue formed an out-and-out tribute band and the rest of us have formed a band to play and record our own original songs. And what a band! We'll be revealing its name shortly, we've got a bunch of great original songs, we're recording in April and we'll be playing gigs in the summer. We think you'll like it; no, we think you'll love it. Watch this space.

My last words on the subject:

Putting together a band to perform the music of Dire Straits was not something I ever envisaged myself doing. But, actually, after not having played that stuff for 20 or so years, it was, certainly for a while, a lot of fun largely because of the great line-up of musicians but also and most importantly, because it was apparent from the first gig at the Albert Hall that it made lots of people who'd been starved of the music of Dire Straits for decades, very happy indeed. And that made it all worthwhile."

foma

« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2015, 12:59:15 AM »
We think you'll like it; no, we think you'll love it. Watch this space.

Of course Alan, I'll buy 1000000 copies of this alone, I will love this. Actually I can't wait now and already fell in love with a nameless project from a nameless band. What a treat! Just can't wait. This is one of the things why I will never even bother to listen this. Too much words or... wrong words?

foma

« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »
By the way, the 'Where your plans are forever falling through' reminds to me some of beginning words of 'Make You Feel My Love' by Bob Dylan.

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2015, 07:30:15 AM »
Did anyone else besides me catch the innuendo behind Mark referring in the first line to "cabaret"? "Les Boys do cabaret, les boys are glad to be gay".

I think MK is taking a shot right there by referring to them as fags.

BTW, I have found references to other MK/DS songs in every song on this album.

Cool.

Saul

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2015, 07:36:40 AM »
Yes I did think immediately of the boys when I heard Cabaret in the song TTOT but kept it for myself!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #291 on: March 29, 2015, 09:24:14 AM »
Did anyone else besides me catch the innuendo behind Mark referring in the first line to "cabaret"? "Les Boys do cabaret, les boys are glad to be gay".

I don´t think so. Mark has many times said that he can play old songs if they are meaningful for him but he don´t want these songs to became cabaret. So I think that this is it.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »

Cool.

Saul

Eh, no. He's having a go because cabaret is cheesy and crap, but he's not directing homophobic abuse at them.

Alan can bugger off as far as I'm concerned. I predict his new music will disappear without trace, and I've been right about his bullshit before, check out this post from when he was still lying to people about The Straits being a one off charity thing.

http://amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=1755.msg32330#msg32330
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #293 on: March 29, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »

Cool.

Saul

Probably not and I wouldn't be happy at all with MK if it's even slightly true because that, from my own personal opinion, goes to far
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #294 on: March 29, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
Alan could rename the band Les Straits and make everyone gay, err happy!  :D 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #295 on: March 29, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
or "dire straights"

Online3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #296 on: March 29, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
I don´t think so. Mark has many times said that he can play old songs if they are meaningful for him but he don´t want these songs to became cabaret. So I think that this is it.

This.  As has been said, Mark is happy to play the old songs as long as he/the band enjoy them. His reference to cabaret is intended to mean churning out the old classics when your heart isn't in it, because that's what the audience expect (in cabaret).   Just my opinion of course.
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineShai

• Camerado
« Reply #297 on: March 29, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »
HolaKnopfler wrote:

>Probably not and I wouldn't be happy at all with MK if it's even slightly true because that, from my own personal opinion, goes to far

OK, but what about MFN? True, that song was banned in Canada for a while, but most of the world didn't think twice about the "littler faggot" line.

Also, for the first time, I thought of another take on MFN. Mark always says he wrote down the song in an electronics store window front in NYC. But is it possible that the line "you get your money for nothing, your chicks for free" refers to his bandmates? Saying that they are just along with Mark for the ride?

Saul

LoveExpresso

« Reply #298 on: March 29, 2015, 07:15:42 PM »
No.

Money For Nothing is one of the "portrait songs" of Mark Knopfler and is was made clear a thousand times or so by him that it was not him who was talking in the song - the same as he is not the guy who speaks in Heavy Fuel or My Parties.. And the lines where just written down directly from what that guy commented about what he saw on the TV wall..

LE

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #299 on: March 29, 2015, 07:23:42 PM »
HolaKnopfler wrote:

>Probably not and I wouldn't be happy at all with MK if it's even slightly true because that, from my own personal opinion, goes to far

OK, but what about MFN? True, that song was banned in Canada for a while, but most of the world didn't think twice about the "littler faggot" line.

Also, for the first time, I thought of another take on MFN. Mark always says he wrote down the song in an electronics store window front in NYC. But is it possible that the line "you get your money for nothing, your chicks for free" refers to his bandmates? Saying that they are just along with Mark for the ride?

Saul

My comment was about the use of the word in that context:-)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 43 queries.