Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Emperor's New Clothes?  (Read 9034 times)

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
The Emperor's New Clothes?
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:50 PM »
Am seriously trying to find at least one song I can wholeheartedly say will become a classic. It appears to be more of the same recently and I noticed with Get Lucky and Privateering (I struggled with Privateering too but at least with it being double there was more chance of finding the odd 'diamond') that the songs were getting 'less lively' with a more jazzy feeling - nothing to keep the audience awake really. Yes Mark is not as old as he once was, neither am I but I say it with reluctance and a great deal of sadness that I feel this album could have been a lot better. And judging by some of the comments on the forum other people may have similar feelings.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
Re: The Emperor's New Clothes?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:24:56 PM »
What, in your opinion, would be the last "classic" song that Mark recorded?
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
IMO this is the best MK album in years! If there are some classics on it? I couldn't care less. All that matters is that there's some good music on it  :)

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »
IMO this is the best MK album in years! If there are some classics on it? I couldn't care less. All that matters is that there's some good music on it  :)

+1 I agree, for the FIRST time no skippers on this one. I don't care about songs being a number 1 hit or being played on the radio daily. This album will last for many years for me.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:38:15 PM »
Good question.

A classic isnt something I consider to be a favourite song, but one that will be robust and stand the test of time. In that vein the last 'classic' would be something like (recent order first) Boom Like That, Postcards from Paraguay, Our Shangri La, Hill Farmers Blues, All That Matters, Why Aye Man, What It is, Saling to Philadelphia. Speedway at Nazareth and nearly all of the tracks from Golden Heart :-) - plus a special mention for Kill To Get Crimson - a favourite album of mine, no skippers, but no classics - just every song is very listenable.

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
I rate albums on the number of skippers. Not on the number of excellent songs. And this one has proprotionately more skippers than Privateering does.

OnlineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:54:41 PM »
I rate albums on the number of skippers. Not on the number of excellent songs. And this one has proprotionately more skippers than Privateering does.

For me this album has no skippers, and Privateering has at least 5 skippers for me
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »

+1 I agree, for the FIRST time no skippers on this one. I don't care about songs being a number 1 hit or being played on the radio daily. This album will last for many years for me.

I agree too!   No skippers on this album for me.  I have listened many times and nothing irritates me - I just love it!   Much better than Privateering, imo!    :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
Quite agree with all in the sense their are 'no skippers' at all on this very beautiful album, and in fact the bonus tracks as well. And yes LE 'Hot Dog' has grown on me at last!! ;)
Privateering IMHO has been left in the dust with this album....

'Classic track' wise, do we not think that Basil, TOTT, 'Oklahoma Ponies' and of course the beautiful LOT may become 'Classics' ?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:50:26 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinetunnel85

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 06:04:13 PM »
I have 6 skippers on the main CD + 3 on the bonus CD. 
I have 10 skippers on Privateering.
I have 5 skippers on Get Lucky.
Roughly every other track. That's life.

I know I have strong statements but to be honest, when I like a song, I like it a  lot.  ;)

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 06:14:37 PM »
Tracker is just lighter, brighter and more sensitive than Privateering.
Figuratively speaking, Mark undid another button to breathe more freely at these unattainable altitudes.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 06:18:16 PM »

A classic isnt something I consider to be a favourite song, but one that will be robust and stand the test of time. In that vein the last 'classic' would be something like (recent order first) Boom Like That, Postcards from Paraguay, Our Shangri La, Hill Farmers Blues, All That Matters, Why Aye Man, What It is, Saling to Philadelphia. Speedway at Nazareth and nearly all of the tracks from Golden Heart :-) - plus a special mention for Kill To Get Crimson - a favourite album of mine, no skippers, but no classics - just every song is very listenable.

It's funny how diverse people's opinions are.  My feeling is that this is Mark's best album since at least Shangri-La, maybe STP.  STP is my favorite MK album, and the only one that has absolutely no skippers.  KTGC, Get Lucky and Privateering I found very poor.  I have found myself skipping The Fish and the Bird, Part 2 Mighty Man and Long Cool Girl, but really like everything else.  I think some of these tracks are right up there with some that you mentioned (Basil, RiverTowns, Silver Eagle).  But it all boils down to what your tastes are.  I like All That Matters, but would never think of it as a "classic".

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 06:19:47 PM »
Figuratively speaking, Mark undid another button to breathe more freely at these unattainable altitudes.

:thumbsup     :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 06:28:04 PM »

I think it all boils down to how good the songs are.  The last three albums have just had not very many strong songs.  It doesn't matter if you record it with the best musicians in the world, in the best studio, with super-valuable vintage equipment and the world's greatest engineer, if the songs stink, they stink.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »

I think it all boils down to how good the songs are.  The last three albums have just had not very many strong songs.  It doesn't matter if you record it with the best musicians in the world, in the best studio, with super-valuable vintage equipment and the world's greatest engineer, if the songs stink, they stink.

Actually, I also loved Privateering and I could happily listen without skipping a song - non of the songs were stinkers imo, BUT Tracker is superior to my ears.     Get Lucky was also a good album for me, with one skipper - You Can't Beat The House (it just didn't fit in), but I enjoyed the rest of the album.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 37 queries.