Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A farewell note  (Read 5833 times)

11-54_Stringcheese

A farewell note
« on: November 03, 2015, 10:24:22 AM »
Last time I left without a word, so I thought I'd do it the proper way this time around.

I know it's not long since I rejoined AMIT, so this may seem funny, but I've come to realize a few things: I honestly cannot call myself an MK fan anymore. I've lost interest in his music, his playing, his guitar sound, him as a person (really), but I guess I've just had my fill and moved on. It's actually hard to come to terms with as he was the idol of my youth and guitar hero for many years. I just find there are so many other artists that I find incredibly more exciting and interesting than Mark. Good thing it's not a marriage. I will continue to look out for what he's up to - but unless he makes some radical changes he really does not have anything more to offer me.

Why can't I just hang around anyway? Because this is a fansite. I have noticed that because of my loss of interest, my comments tend to be more often negative than positive, which can be perceived as moaning, and rightfully so. If this was a general music site, it would be perfectly OK to speak negatively about artists that you don't care about, but this is a fansite. (I'm not talking about differing opinions. Different story.) People mostly join fansites to find like-minded people who share a love for and celebrate the artist in question. I for sure don't want to be a party pooper.

Leaving has nothing to do with anyone of you; you're all a fine bunch. So, take care. Wishing you all the best.

Stringcheese AKA Jackal (AKA Tom)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: A farewell note
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
I kind of got a negativity from your last few posts funnily enough.  Much as I will miss your input I suppose you have thought this through, so I wish you all the best.  Farewell. :wave
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 01:20:25 PM »
Sorry to see you go, Stringcheese. It's been lovely to read your posts again.    All the best!    :wave   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 05:50:00 PM »
Man, I though we had something...  ;D

Well, sorry to see you go but hopefully you'll find your way back again someday.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 12:15:33 PM »
Thanks for you rcontributions. Hope to see you back sometime again, and when that happens: don't forget to mention all your AKA's again  :D
Enjoy all music you are now more attracted to!

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
Hope you'll pop in from time to time!! I find your interest in other music rather healthy, so that's good. All the best!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
All the best for the future.

I don't know if I will be a Mark Knopfler's fan forever but for sure I will remain a Straits one!
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
It's sad to loose you again  :(  :(

It is also sad that you leave because you consider than a fan forum is only a place to talk good things about the musician in question, like he could not go wrong. But you have a point, as was demonstrated this last tour when many of the nice people went on their arms to fight those expressing his negative feelings and opinions about last tour.  :disbelief

I kind of understand you, I was seriously thinking about quit myself for good, but ...  :-\
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
A negative opinion is allowed in this forum of course. The problem this year was that only a couple of people taking over the forum with negativity, while others stayed away because of the overal negativity. That's something different. It was tooooooo much. It IS a fanforum. Critical views are welcome, but I can imagine that if you are not a fan you don't feel home here. For example: I am not joining the Justin Bieber fanclub and just moan about him all the time. Why should I want to go there and do that, I would be a troll then.

But Stringcheese is not like that, so feel free to stay and add comments to the topics you want, there are also DS-only or general discussions.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:44 PM »
The trouble is that Mark's musical style has drifted so far from the stuff that a lot of us fell in love with, myself included.  We have lost a few long-time and big contributing members recently and I think that is sad as they are not just members but friends too and we are all entitled to our opinions.  This is not North Korea!  All this because some people thought they were moaning too much.  :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:47:15 PM »
We have lost more than a few members because of negativism too. It's not about opinions, just bad behaviour. I don't know how many times I have been called bad names or caracterized because I was too positive in someones opinion.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 05:03:05 PM »
We have lost more than a few members because of negativism too. It's not about opinions, just bad behaviour. I don't know how many times I have been called bad names or caracterized because I was too positive in someones opinion.

+ 1
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
The trouble is that Mark's musical style has drifted so far from the stuff that a lot of us fell in love with, myself included.  We have lost a few long-time and big contributing members recently and I think that is sad as they are not just members but friends too and we are all entitled to our opinions.  This is not North Korea!  All this because some people thought they were moaning too much.  :disbelief

+1
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »
It's not about opinions, just bad behaviour. I don't know how many times I have been called bad names or caracterized because I was too positive in someones opinion.

Any examples? Can't recall that someone called you any names.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »
Last time I left without a word, so I thought I'd do it the proper way this time around.

I know it's not long since I rejoined AMIT, so this may seem funny, but I've come to realize a few things: I honestly cannot call myself an MK fan anymore. I've lost interest in his music, his playing, his guitar sound, him as a person (really), but I guess I've just had my fill and moved on. It's actually hard to come to terms with as he was the idol of my youth and guitar hero for many years. I just find there are so many other artists that I find incredibly more exciting and interesting than Mark. Good thing it's not a marriage. I will continue to look out for what he's up to - but unless he makes some radical changes he really does not have anything more to offer me.

Why can't I just hang around anyway? Because this is a fansite. I have noticed that because of my loss of interest, my comments tend to be more often negative than positive, which can be perceived as moaning, and rightfully so. If this was a general music site, it would be perfectly OK to speak negatively about artists that you don't care about, but this is a fansite. (I'm not talking about differing opinions. Different story.) People mostly join fansites to find like-minded people who share a love for and celebrate the artist in question. I for sure don't want to be a party pooper.

Leaving has nothing to do with anyone of you; you're all a fine bunch. So, take care. Wishing you all the best.

Stringcheese AKA Jackal (AKA Tom)

Pity that you feel this way Stringcheese but it's your choice and I respect it!! So long, maybe you'll change your mind!!! MK isn't the Musician he was when he was leading Dire Straits but the songs he's writing  now are what he feels now and it's up to us to like or dislike these changes!! Take care you too!! Best wishes!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 40 queries.