Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's 58 burst - amazing revelations!  (Read 10712 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Mark's 58 burst - amazing revelations!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
Guys...  the sound is not anything less than amazing. 
Shouldn't we embrace that fact that the LP, while it has seen better days, sounds absolutely gorgeous.
?
And any discussion about any alterations-hacking-reparation is rather insignificant?
(sorry if I am out of line...  I always think people think like me...)

For people who aren't interested in guitars then it's probably insignificant. I find it significant.

I find the drool section insignificant. Different strokes and all that. :)

Maybe this should be in the drool section?  ;)
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 03:44:09 PM »
Shouldn't we embrace that fact that the LP, while it has seen better days, sounds absolutely gorgeous.
?
And any discussion about any alterations-hacking-reparation is rather insignificant?
I don't think this has altered the opinions of this guitar for anyone of us? We were just talking about something that we found interesting. At the end of the day, nothing we ever do or say is significant  ;) .

BTW, my main guitar is a 50's Gibson which has had some holes drilled in it and later restored (not as good as Mark's restoration). It sounds the best of my guitars, so it's my favorite.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
?

For people who aren't interested in guitars then it's probably insignificant. I find it significant.

I find the drool section insignificant. Different strokes and all that. :)
Sorry dusty!  I just re-read my comment, and it didn't sound nice at all!  :(  But it wasn't meant the way it sounds!  :-[
I find the discussion really interesting and definitely significant (and a great find about this amazing guitar!!).  I wanted to say that the fact that the LP was hacked - and then repaired expertly(!) - does not bother me.  (So when I read that people are upset that the LP is not valued the same in their eyes -- that is the discussion that I don't quite get.  Sorry!)

Drool section?  Definitely significant ;)   
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »
Well allow me to retort.  :) To me, the 58-60 Les Pauls are indeed works of art. If we are being philosophical let me ask - if no one sees the Mona Lisa is it still a work of art?

Well,  in fact this is not philosophical at all! You just have to answer these series of questions and you will find the answer.

First of all,  can we define what is consider to be a work of art?
Is the definition generally accepted?
If only one man thinks that something is a work of art, is that sufficient, to name it as such?
Do all people like the same works of art?
All in all, is the term "work of art" an honorary term or a term that reveals some function? (an new aesthetic proposition,  an education method or an early guide to the labyrinths of art itself?)

Now the second part.
Can we consider something that was created and then destroyed to be a work of art?
Now, if a "work of art" does not influence at all the public, is it still a work of art?
And last but not least, how art works for each generation?

As for the guitar matter, I think that guitars are objects that a person spends many precious moments with. They are almost magical things, that turn the obscure and complicated inside world of a person into an audible equivalent that we all think we understand.  As such they are closer to magic wands, rather than works of art. Now, the marketing strategy of the guitar makers, thought that strange shapes would probably help boost the sales. So the actaul shape of most guitars, could be considered a work of art. But then again, we have to agree on what is a "work of art".
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2015, 11:23:08 PM »
I take care of my guitars and agonise over every chip in the lacquer, but to many professional guitarists they are just a tool and are treated accordingly. Remember that the Les Paul was discontinued in 1961 as Gibson thought it was too old fashioned to compete with Fender products, and not reinstated until artists such as Clapton had made it "cool" again. In the 60's a  1958 or 59 Les Paul was "just another second hand guitar" and many were hacked about or modified. It's horrifying to think about it now, but at the time the Les Paul was not considered the icon that it is nowadays.  If you want nightmares, I suggest you google "bad coconuts guitar"  :smack   
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 04:21:02 PM »
Further revelations:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?threads/burst-pic-of-the-week-the-old-switcheroo.95644/page-2#post-2876593

Was previously owned and used by the guitarist in April Wine, a Canadian band, and he had EMGs in it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »
Further revelations:

https://www.lespaulforum.com/index.php?threads/burst-pic-of-the-week-the-old-switcheroo.95644/page-2#post-2876593

Was previously owned and used by the guitarist in April Wine, a Canadian band, and he had EMGs in it!

Wow, that's interesting. You can really see it's the same guitar. So anyone out there looking for an MK strat, you can buy one of these beat-up ones and bring it back to its original state like MK or whoever it was did :lol Something tells me that Mark bought it after the repair, but I know nothing.

hunter

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 05:58:56 PM »
Further revelations:

Is that what the guy meant though? He said: "My #1 burst I used in April Wine had EMG pickups in it when I first bought it. luckily the original double whites were in the case pocket!"

As far as I understand, it was just a comment regarding bad modding practices back in the day.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 07:14:28 PM »
Further revelations:

Is that what the guy meant though? He said: "My #1 burst I used in April Wine had EMG pickups in it when I first bought it. luckily the original double whites were in the case pocket!"

As far as I understand, it was just a comment regarding bad modding practices back in the day.
Ah yes, I think you are correct :)

hunter

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 07:57:06 PM »
Further revelations:

Wow, that's interesting. You can really see it's the same guitar. So anyone out there looking for an MK strat, you can buy one of these beat-up ones and bring it back to its original state like MK or whoever it was did :lol Something tells me that Mark bought it after the repair, but I know nothing.

A beat up, modified guitar that is properly repaired can indeed become a wonderful instrument, as is evident in the case of Mark's 58 LP.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:42 PM »
A beat up, modified guitar that is properly repaired can indeed become a wonderful instrument, as is evident in the case of Mark's 58 LP.

Yeah. Thanks for upping this topic, because I somehow missed this story. And my God, I'm mad that they told NOTHING about it when they were releasing a signature model, and Mark told nothing about it. Maybe they all think that's not that interesting, but I think that's tremendously interesting. I recently bought a Martin D-18 that was beaten to death, and at the end of her life, the guitar fell off a stand on a wall and was basically wasted. But I bought it, repaired it, and now it's not only playable again and sounds great, that's one of my favorite guitars. I just love guitars with stories to tell.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 11:06:58 PM »
Also, if they forgot to drill and patch a hole in the guitar then I'm basically not interested in the "aged 1958 Les Paul" at all anymore simply because it misses a huge part of its history. Also, if present MK Les Paul has a store sticker and signature one doesn't, that's also would be extremely stupid. I'm utterly disappointed Gibson said absolutely nothing at all about the history of the guitar, but they have the courtesy to set a price double of that of a regular Custom Shop Les Paul. I mean come-on...

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 12:18:43 PM »
I fully agree. Gibson stuff is way overpriced. Fender is a lot more vintage correct nowadays than Gibson is. For example, the lacquer of Custom Shop Gibson Les Pauls is nothing like the original nitro. It feels a lot more plastic. The reason apparently is that spraying pure nitro requires a place that fulfills strict environmental norms. Fender has it, Gibson doesn't.

hunter

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »
I fully agree. Gibson stuff is way overpriced. Fender is a lot more vintage correct nowadays than Gibson is. For example, the lacquer of Custom Shop Gibson Les Pauls is nothing like the original nitro. It feels a lot more plastic. The reason apparently is that spraying pure nitro requires a place that fulfills strict environmental norms. Fender has it, Gibson doesn't.

I'm curious where Fender does it, because as far as I know, nitro is not allowed to spray anywhere in California. Suhr I believe sends guitars that are going to be sprayed with nitro to Arizona or New Mexico. Not surprising that that drives the prices up.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 08:13:19 PM »
Is the Fender nitro "real" these days? The MK strat certainly isn't.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 43 queries.