Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: mandela`s warm-up gigs  (Read 7249 times)

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: mandela`s warm-up gigs
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2019, 11:42:19 AM »
Always preferred the warm-up shows to the actual event.  These were for the real fans rather than the main show which was for the masses and political.

Just as a side note I listened recently to BIA from Monaco 1985 and it was brilliant.  Everyone constantly raves about Wembley '85, and rightly so, but this version was every bit as good - maybe better.  Slightly different solo and better vocal.  Loved his vocal on it on the BIA tour compared to any later version.

Is BIA 1985 from Monaco a SBD or AUD recording ?    I dont think I have that one. If its SBD I am certainly going for it.

Unfortunately it's audience, but it's not bad sounding.  It's early in the tour and you can tell they haven't quite found the arrangement yet, however they play it really well here and it is interesting compared to the later ones.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2019, 12:05:11 PM »
Always preferred the warm-up shows to the actual event.  These were for the real fans rather than the main show which was for the masses and political.

Just as a side note I listened recently to BIA from Monaco 1985 and it was brilliant.  Everyone constantly raves about Wembley '85, and rightly so, but this version was every bit as good - maybe better.  Slightly different solo and better vocal.  Loved his vocal on it on the BIA tour compared to any later version.

Is BIA 1985 from Monaco a SBD or AUD recording ?    I dont think I have that one. If its SBD I am certainly going for it.

Unfortunately it's audience, but it's not bad sounding.  It's early in the tour and you can tell they haven't quite found the arrangement yet, however they play it really well here and it is interesting compared to the later ones.

Thanks for the tip DMG  :thumbsup
Cheers Peter

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2019, 09:18:18 PM »
Very nice concert Monaco 1985, first time I listened to it

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »

You can tell the arrangements aren't as polished as later shows, but the band were playing so well from the get go that these early shows are interesting.  This is a good one.

Interesting dedication by Mark before Going Home to a member of the crew who died prior to the show, apparently from sunstroke.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 11:28:13 PM »

You can tell the arrangements aren't as polished as later shows, but the band were playing so well from the get go that these early shows are interesting.  This is a good one.

Interesting dedication by Mark before Going Home to a member of the crew who died prior to the show, apparently from sunstroke.

Every day you learn something new... I wonder if Simon's death was declared a factory accident, because he died in service, but anyway what a tragedy.

So it's funny to me, the death of a crew member it's like nothing to it, but if Mark can't recognise a crew member — "It got too big". Go figure :hmm

hunter

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »
So it's funny to me, the death of a crew member it's like nothing to it, but if Mark can't recognise a crew member — "It got too big". Go figure :hmm

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is strange that, on hand, Mark said "it got too big" and he couldn't recognize the crew members, and yet, on the other hand, he honors a crew member who died on the job. Why is this a contradiction?

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 06:59:13 PM »

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it is strange that, on hand, Mark said "it got too big" and he couldn't recognize the crew members, and yet, on the other hand, he honors a crew member who died on the job. Why is this a contradiction?

I always wonder if the 'too big' quote was a bit of an excuse on Marks part. After all the OES tour ran at a loss and had many empty seats. I recall Ed Bicknell confirming this year's later in interviews. It certainly wasn't a happy tour on many levels.
I wonder if ds had continued an upward curve would we have seen further tours/albums....

With regards to the subject, I agree, it would be very odd, if not callous for MK not to mention it...

Offlinehappy to be here

• Guitar George
  • i am new here, be gentle
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 03:41:01 AM »
Hello, first post, and I have no idea where to start so I am just going to tack on to the last post.  Long time fan and I recently found the message board.  The message board is too big!  So much great content.  Thank you all.  First introduced to DS with Love Over Gold (1980? Wow).  I’ve been a big fan ever since.  I could write volumes, but why bother (maybe I will with enough time?)   Wow, really enjoyed the link to the show above.  Thanks!

Mark came though my neck of the woods recently with his DTRW tour.  Great concert.   Thank you, Mark, for a life’s work that I admire.  And thanks for the immeasurable enjoyment listening to your music over the years.

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 11:35:11 AM »
Hello, first post, and I have no idea where to start so I am just going to tack on to the last post.  Long time fan and I recently found the message board.  The message board is too big!  So much great content.  Thank you all.  First introduced to DS with Love Over Gold (1980? Wow).  I’ve been a big fan ever since.  I could write volumes, but why bother (maybe I will with enough time?)   Wow, really enjoyed the link to the show above.  Thanks!

Mark came though my neck of the woods recently with his DTRW tour.  Great concert.   Thank you, Mark, for a life’s work that I admire.  And thanks for the immeasurable enjoyment listening to your music over the years.

Great to have you on board and look forward to many contributions of your own.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »

The "show unread posts" and "show replies to my posts" links are very useful.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.