Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 602225 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #2190 on: March 25, 2018, 01:04:30 PM »
I've been listening to lots of Hillbillies and Mark+Chet songs last few days. Excellent work there. If only we could have another album like that. I'd buy four copies but nobody's listening.

Mark Knopfler & Eric Clapton

I would die

It's too late for that. Just remember how good the news sounded that MK and TE collaborated and what a lame, childish and absolutely NOT special boring song came out of that.

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2191 on: March 25, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
Mark can play anything apart from metal and its variations. The difference between him and Robbie in this department is that no matter the style you know it’s Mark Knopfler whereas Robbie isn’t distinguished.
Mark and David, they have that "sound" not many others, yeah maybe also EC.

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #2192 on: March 25, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Mark can play anything apart from metal and its variations. The difference between him and Robbie in this department is that no matter the style you know it’s Mark Knopfler whereas Robbie isn’t distinguished.

Yes, that's called a signature sound.
Question is, can he really play anything else but some Mark Knopfler ? We don't really know because he hasn't really showed anything else.
He tried some slide, but I found it a bit dull compared to other slide masters. I mean it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either.
He experimented a couple of things but again it was far from 'master or genius level'.

It seems to me that he is stuck with his style. Just like Slash, who is another favorite of mine. You can instantly recognize him, it's great and everything,  but he is also stuck in his own style. It's not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

Robbie is on the same level as Richard.  You give him anything to play, you tell him how it should sound, and he'll get the job done. Hence why session or studio musicians are highly demanded. They're very good at everything,  not excellent at just one thing.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2193 on: March 25, 2018, 03:36:59 PM »
I'll change Robbie for Richard without any hesitation.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2194 on: March 25, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »
I'll change Robbie for Richard without any hesitation.
Same here

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2195 on: March 25, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
I prefer Robbie as well but I think Richard suits Mark’s approach better.

Regarding Mark’s skills, he’s played with half of the universe. I remember watching him play I Shot the Sheriff with EC for the first time and that was jaw dropping. That was funky reggae done with extreme excellence but at the same time that was Mark Knopfler. Our man is unique playing anything, his technique is flawless, or was.

Robbie is a world class guitarist but I don’t think he can do anything that Mark can’t in terms of technique.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2196 on: March 25, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »
Robbie is far more versatile than you might think.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #2197 on: March 25, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
Guy about tourdates in 2018: No, at this point, nothing is scheduled at all in terms of live performances.
---
And about a new tour in another question: There is no tour confirmed in terms of dates as yet but we talk about touring all the time. What I meant by 'planned' is that tours need to be set up way in advance so venues are of course being contacted but this is the business of management and agencies. It's in the planning. You'll know when it happens !
---
The last question was because of an interview Guy give a few days ago...

https://www.amazona.de/interview-guy-fletcher-roxy-music-dire-straits-english-version/

« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:22:42 PM by cannibals »

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #2198 on: March 25, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »

Question is, can he really play anything else but some Mark Knopfler ? We don't really know because he hasn't really showed anything else.
He tried some slide, but I found it a bit dull compared to other slide masters. I mean it wasn't bad, but it wasn't that great either.
He experimented a couple of things but again it was far from 'master or genius level'.

It seems to me that he is stuck with his style. Just like Slash, who is another favorite of mine. You can instantly recognize him, it's great and everything,  but he is also stuck in his own style. It's not a bad thing, it's just how it is.

Robbie is on the same level as Richard.  You give him anything to play, you tell him how it should sound, and he'll get the job done. Hence why session or studio musicians are highly demanded. They're very good at everything,  not excellent at just one thing.

Having that unique style and sound is everything in music. That's what's made him many millions and carries his solo career. Nobody does Mark Knopfler but Mark Knopfler. Any style of music he plays he somehow makes his own. I know a lot of people complained about the dearth of blues tunes on Privateering. Like it or not, I personally thought that was the freshest take on the blues I've heard in years. Same with What a Wonderful World, he instantly made that song sound like I've never heard it before. And I've heard that song played a million times by many different musicians.

As much as I love EC and think he's an incredible performer, he sounds like a lot of the blues guys that have come before him, but I guess that's what he's going for--- wearing his influences on his sleeve.

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #2199 on: March 25, 2018, 09:32:13 PM »
Guy about tourdates in 2018: No, at this point, nothing is scheduled at all in terms of live performances.
---
And about a new tour in another question: There is no tour confirmed in terms of dates as yet but we talk about touring all the time. What I meant by 'planned' is that tours need to be set up way in advance so venues are of course being contacted but this is the business of management and agencies. It's in the planning. You'll know when it happens !
---
The last question was because of an interview Guy give a few days ago...

https://www.amazona.de/interview-guy-fletcher-roxy-music-dire-straits-english-version/

I bet it'll be spring/summer in Europe 2019. Then, NA in the fall.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2200 on: March 25, 2018, 09:38:49 PM »

Having that unique style and sound is everything in music. That's what's made him many millions and carries his solo career. Nobody does Mark Knopfler but Mark Knopfler. Any style of music he plays he somehow makes his own. I know a lot of people complained about the dearth of blues tunes on Privateering. Like it or not, I personally thought that was the freshest take on the blues I've heard in years. Same with What a Wonderful World, he instantly made that song sound like I've never heard it before. And I've heard that song played a million times by many different musicians.

As much as I love EC and think he's an incredible performer, he sounds like a lot of the blues guys that have come before him, but I guess that's what he's going for--- wearing his influences on his sleeve.
I lost all interest in ec after his last tour with mk. Until his one record with jj

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2201 on: March 26, 2018, 12:05:27 AM »
Robbie is far more versatile than you might think.

Have I ever said he wasn’t? Lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineZeraschkulidar

• Guitar George
« Reply #2202 on: April 11, 2018, 09:57:25 PM »
Weren't there some news about the new album scheduled for end of March? I always thought it would be March 2018 :)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #2203 on: April 11, 2018, 10:27:12 PM »
Weren't there some news about the new album scheduled for end of March? I always thought it would be March 2018 :)

The plan was to send it to the record company at the end of March, there’s no release date yet.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2204 on: April 12, 2018, 08:56:32 AM »
Guy did indeed "play" the drums but Ed Bicknell hit them while the samples were recorded.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.