Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 614750 times)

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2016, 12:37:55 PM »
Well, this session in the studio must be something else. Richard's Autumn update doesn't indicate at all that he was part of the 'band session.' So either he is under strict orders under pain of death to say nothing or he was just not involved at all which has happened before. But Xmas coming, the Doc teasing us for nearly three months now and still no news. Maybe announcement and release on the day before Xmas might be in the wind!

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2016, 10:09:41 AM »
Please don't throw stones at me, but to me Tracker was rushed a little bit... so it's great he finally take some time to make a record.

As long as it will be his best record of 2010s, I'm willing to wait for another year of making it.

I don't think Tracker was rushed but it just really lacks a decent producer/mixer other than Mark himself. I've listened to Tracker a few times last week and there are some beautiful songs on it but strange decisions were made. Few examples: River Towns is a great song and I really like the mood but the outro is way too long (also the Broken Bones outro). Ianto's playing on the outro of Terminal is incredible but the mixing is crap, should have been way more powerful. On past solo records Mark always used many different keys, but on Tracker most of the songs are in Bb, B or C (on the main record the only exceptions are Broken Bones and Long Cool Girl).

You could spent weeks choosing the right microphone and I totally think they should but I feel they need some fresh input other than Guy. I understand, after 25 years, you want something different than Chuck (although I think his mixing is brilliant), but Mark really needs someone who gets him inspired and do 'new' things, I don't think that is coming from someone who you've working with for over 30 years.

Love Expresso

« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2016, 11:25:28 AM »
I agree in parts but about the long play outs I personally think that is the best part of the album and I am pretty sure it is done fully planned. Rivers do flow, so does River Towns, and the agony of being packed in ice for two weeks as MK mentioned at the 09.09.09 show is sheer and literally endless pain, agony, perfectly mirrored with Broken Bones.

I never liked Terminal At Tribute To, mainly because of the lyrics being so offensive, but also because of Guy's "original" background vocals... it reminds me very much of the sound of Different World from Inamorata, I see it as a gift to Guy to produce that song his way. Right decision to make it a bonus song, fits not with the rest of the album.

In my opinion, Guy is not brave enough. He was always Mark's minion and does not fill the role of a CREATIVE producer. Technically he might have learned a lot over the years.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
I agree in parts but about the long play outs I personally think that is the best part of the album and I am pretty sure it is done fully planned. Rivers do flow, so does River Towns, and the agony of being packed in ice for two weeks as MK mentioned at the 09.09.09 show is sheer and literally endless pain, agony, perfectly mirrored with Broken Bones.

I never liked Terminal At Tribute To, mainly because of the lyrics being so offensive, but also because of Guy's "original" background vocals... it reminds me very much of the sound of Different World from Inamorata, I see it as a gift to Guy to produce that song his way. Right decision to make it a bonus song, fits not with the rest of the album.

In my opinion, Guy is not brave enough. He was always Mark's minion and does not fill the role of a CREATIVE producer. Technically he might have learned a lot over the years.

LE

Excellent final paragraph.  Totally agree.  He's a nice guy (except for the occasional rudeness on his forum) and good to have around but just don't make him the boss.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2016, 07:03:43 PM »
I think Mark takes as long as he wants to make what he feels is the best album he can at the time, looking back he probably feels he could have done every album better, but there has to be an end point. Not sure I would call Privateering rushed, don't forget Bob Dylan came calling for a tour in the middle of things too, and was a good thing as it gave Mark the chance to write more songs for Tracker. On and off Privateering was recorded over about 9 months, in these days of music releases that is a long time.
I love his album whenever when it comes!
 ;)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2016, 07:48:53 PM »
Guy is "employee" of Mark. He can to do all thing Mark need to do but have not interest to do, for example small technic details, so he is very useful. But because employee he has safe life for musician. He don't want to make challenge to Mark because of safe money, so he say yes and yes. I am sorry for this because Mark need kick in a balls sometimes.

OfflineThrottle

• Camerado
« Reply #186 on: December 04, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
You underestimate Guy's abilities.
Guy plays quite another but no less important role in the entire story. He is an exceptionally good communicator and past master in relationship building. Being a shrewd judge of character, he knows how to attract supporters, gain favour by obliging behaviour and smooth things over. He also has great powers of intuition, that helps to keep his nose to the wind. Essentially, he is responsible for a social and psychological climate around them. And what's the main, Mark has confidence in him.
But at the same time his touchiness and infantilism annoy others quite often. These are two sides of the same coin, whether we like it or not.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
I SO like what you write here Throttle!  :clap Please make it coming  ;) As a passionate "Fletcherette" I agree, even if I don't always understand him.  Past master in relationship building?

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
Guy plays quite another but no less important role in the entire story. He is an exceptionally good communicator and past master in relationship building. Being a shrewd judge of character, he knows how to attract supporters, gain favour by obliging behaviour and smooth things over. He also has great powers of intuition, that helps to keep his nose to the wind. Essentially, he is responsible for a social and psychological climate around them. And what's the main, Mark has confidence in him.
But at the same time his touchiness and infantilism annoy others quite often. These are two sides of the same coin, whether we like it or not.

Do you take a drugs? You should stop.

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #189 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:07 PM »

You can disagree with someone, but your comment is tasteless.
Hey, don't forget your hat.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #190 on: December 04, 2016, 11:37:24 PM »

no need for this. seems like you can write decently after all. if you turn out to be a troll....rozumie??
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2016, 05:07:01 AM »

You can disagree with someone, but your comment is tasteless.
Tasteless, rude and absolutely unwarranted.  :disbelief Not acceptable here.   :disbelief
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2016, 08:58:53 AM »

That is a terrible thing to say.   :disbelief  I always enjoy Throttle's posts - they are a breath of fresh air!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2016, 12:53:32 PM »
Here is thin skin ...  ::)

Trotttle write like he know Guy Flecher, like a fact. He sais "Being a shrewd judge of character, he knows how to attract supporters, gain favour by obliging behaviour and smooth things over. He also has great powers of intuition, that helps to keep his nose to the wind. Essentially, he is responsible for a social and psychological climate around them."

How Thottle know? For me like fantazy and gessing.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »

How Thottle know? For me like fantazy and gessing.

You were perfectly entitled to your opinion, but there was absolutely no need for rudeness.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 02:17:32 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 41 queries.