Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 615287 times)

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #405 on: February 06, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
Maybe a special album for the 40 years of DS or the beginning of his career with guests like John Illsley, Brendan Croker, Steve Philips, Emmylou Harris, Ruth Moody, Paul Franklin, Mike Henderson, Eric Clapton, Van Morrisson.... only dreaming :o
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #406 on: February 06, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
Maybe a special album for the 40 years of DS or the beginning of his career with guests like John Illsley, Brendan Croker, Steve Philips, Emmylou Harris, Ruth Moody, Paul Franklin, Mike Henderson, Eric Clapton, Van Morrisson.... only dreaming :o

Yes, 40 is a perfectly good number to commemorate regardless of Mark's attitude on DS.

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2017, 10:27:37 PM »
You want truth why he take so long time? He choose mikrofons. The perfect mikrofons for perfect sound. It will to be album of history with a longest produce time. BUT with a perfect sound. Have strong patiens people!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #408 on: February 06, 2017, 10:49:59 PM »
You want truth why he take so long time? He choose mikrofons. The perfect mikrofons for perfect sound. It will to be album of history with a longest produce time. BUT with a perfect sound. Have strong patiens people!

So that 99% of people will download it from iTunes and listen to it through crappy earphones on the tube!

All this search for perfect microphone for this song crap really annoys me because I'll bet that most of the time nobody would notice a jot.  In this day and age people are recording good quality stuff in their back rooms.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:53:34 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #409 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:25 AM »

So that 99% of people will download it from iTunes and listen to it through crappy earphones on the tube!

All this search for perfect microphone for this song crap really annoys me because I'll bet that most of the time nobody would notice a jot.  In this day and age people are recording good quality stuff in their back rooms.

Exactly... not only that, Mark's records was really perfect when Chuck was on board.
Now it's "no equalisation, no compression, no nothing but happy microphones" type of thing.
Speaking of perfect recordings, I have "The Dark Side Of The Moon" somewhere here... oh, wow! It was in 1973!

Offlinemkdsone

• Guitar George
« Reply #410 on: February 07, 2017, 10:12:20 AM »
So it's only Mark and Guy in the studio ?
mmmm, I really like the film music they've done together.
Thinking about "Altamira" with this beautiful acoustic guitar and Return to Ommadawn from Mike Oldfield....
A completely instrumental album would be perfect !
 ;)
If she was an Ace and I was just a Jack, and the cards were never seen, we could have been King and Queen.

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #411 on: February 07, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
So it's only Mark and Guy in the studio ?
mmmm, I really like the film music they've done together.
Thinking about "Altamira" with this beautiful acoustic guitar and Return to Ommadawn from Mike Oldfield....
A completely instrumental album would be perfect !
 ;)

I very like experiemental feeling from Altamira album. I forget name for the lady on percusion but she should play on new album.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #412 on: February 07, 2017, 12:25:32 PM »
Evelyn Glennie : )
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Love Expresso

« Reply #413 on: February 07, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »

Exactly... not only that, Mark's records was really perfect when Chuck was on board.
Now it's "no equalisation, no compression, no nothing but happy microphones" type of thing.
Speaking of perfect recordings, I have "The Dark Side Of The Moon" somewhere here... oh, wow! It was in 1973!

Astonishing. I must say that Tracker indeed sounds spectacular compared to his earlier releases. It was worth every
award it got I think.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #414 on: February 07, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
Astonishing. I must say that Tracker indeed sounds spectacular compared to his earlier releases. It was worth every
award it got I think.

LE

Don't get me wrong LE! I think in the studio of this magnitude like the British Grove is pretty much any decent audio engineer can produce a great sounding record, that's why they've decided to get rid of CA in the first place I think. The genius of this guy (CA) was that he was able to came up with a perfect work & mix regardless of studios/equipment/microphones, etc. He's consistent like nobody else, and that's why he was needed in the first place :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #415 on: February 07, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
I don´t like Chuck Ainlay but this is a case of personal taste...

Chuck had a tendence to mix the bass and drums very low and very behind the rest of instruments, and "Tracker" has the drums and bass very very in front, mixed in a way that it looks that you have the drummer in front of you...

The first time I heard Tracker in a proper hifi it was spectacular, while Chuck mixes are not significant in that aspect.

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #416 on: February 07, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »

Chuck had a tendence to mix the bass and drums very low and very behind the rest of instruments, and "Tracker" has the drums and bass very very in front, mixed in a way that it looks that you have the drummer in front of you...

The first time I heard Tracker in a proper hifi it was spectacular, while Chuck mixes are not significant in that aspect.

Check out Boom Like That, it has very prominent bass (and drums), I think more bass than any other tune in MK/DS catalog.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #417 on: February 07, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »

Check out Boom Like That, it has very prominent bass (and drums), I think more bass than any other tune in MK/DS catalog.

I mean in ALL the songs, not specific ones... there are certain songs with many instruments that Chuck mixed them very low, but in Tracker, in all songs, it´s like having Ian in front of you...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #418 on: February 07, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »

The thing is that they check what they record in their wonderful audio systems in the studio while probably they should also check them in an ipod or any other portable mp3...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #419 on: February 07, 2017, 03:02:20 PM »
I love how John Williams, a brilliant classical guitar player, said about guitar making, that "it's easy to build a classical guitar with rich bass, but it's hard to build one with rich highs". Nothing wrong with boom-in-your-face bass and drums, but of course to do that is easier than to do the opposite. Even I tend to boost the bass side too much in my little recordings and it always impresses me how delicate CA's mixes in that respect are.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 03:04:58 PM by quizzaciously »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.