Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 615080 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #945 on: July 04, 2017, 08:08:04 PM »
I also wonder about the "falling attendances over the past 3 tours"...  sure you talk about Mark Knopfler?

LE

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #946 on: July 04, 2017, 10:29:24 PM »
They were relatively quick in releasing concerts as recordings after the show finished. But yes, in general they are a bit slow with everything

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

:)
Yeah i know, i would just have a look at it from different point of view - i just don't give if they are slow here and there, it doesn't bother me at all, I follow the Songs, not the business trends in music industry!  and that would be just but an another reason I still follow - just because it's "different".
You know the line:
"Pick out a pretty one and toss your hair
Seems foolish when you’re older
You always felt you never had your share
A chip on both your shoulders"
Who needs chips on his shoulders?  :)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #947 on: July 05, 2017, 12:18:08 AM »
Don't forget about Tommy Emmanuel collaboration, I'm sure it will be something... 8)
It's like two boxers with zero knockouts come together for a fight. But a musical one!

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #948 on: July 05, 2017, 02:09:27 AM »
As for falling audiences, my recollection is generally the Manchester shows. In 2001 when he played the arena, that was the only time the hall was full, even upstairs was open and full.

2005, 2006, 2008 just downstairs open, upstairs curtained off.

2010, empty space on the floor and not so full downstairs, upstairs curtained off.

2023 he played the smaller liverpool echo arena and that worked.

2015, lots of space, very far from a sell out, even downstairs only.

Ok, only one venue but a very popular one.

I love the fact every gig has new young blood in the audience but now he is Mk the folk story teller he is attracting die hard fans rather than BIA where he said the success was down to the hype and the tourists. Of course that era is gone, I just want to see our man excelling again at what he does best!!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #949 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:53 AM »
Pigster - I can only speak for Manchester 2010 and 2015, but in 2010 only a section at the end of the arena upstairs was curtained off - the rest was full and in 2015 the arena was full, both upstairs and downstairs, but on that occasion the stage had been moved forward to create a smaller seating area, which worked very well.

MK is still excelling at what he does best - writing beautiful songs and performing them! 

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:45:12 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #950 on: July 05, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »

MK is still excelling at what he does best - writing beautiful songs and performing "few of" them!

Fixed

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #951 on: July 05, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »

MK is still excelling at what he does best - writing beautiful songs and performing them!

Fixed

Please do not change my posts! >:(
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #952 on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:04 PM »

Fixed

Sorry,  was only a joke.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #953 on: July 05, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »

Fixed

Sorry,  was only a joke.

Apology accepted!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #954 on: July 05, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
GF He once wrote that in 2017  we will receive a lot of new music. Hm...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:34:01 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #955 on: July 05, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »

I used to love his work. Could listen to his music day in day out. Oh wait - I did!  :wave

But as far as I'm concerned, he's way past his best, which was probably somewhere around OES tour and his Chet Atkins collaboration and Notting Hillbillies. Up until that time he was doing great things with his guitar playing and it's not all just some solos or even "neverending solos". It was filling all this space around his lyrics, answering his voice with his guitar. Just brilliant. And I always loved how his songs evolved and they were only getting better with each tour. They were certainly never played twice the same. He could pull in pedal steel guitar, sax, pipes, you name it, and it all had a place somewhere in those complex but never really crowded arrangements. Albums were already great, but live was better.

After that I believe it was downhill only. You might not all agree with me and it's fine but that's how I see it. Of course he's getting older and it's to be expected that one just gets slower with age. But I don't think getting slower is the problem here. All those things that I loved were slowly dropped and now it's his folkies and his guitar strumming over some lyrics. It just doesn't work for me no matter how brilliant his lyrics might be.

Last time I saw him live was when touring with Bob. It was a shorter set obviously but I drove a long way to that concert and none of the songs worked for me. I was thinking OK, next one will surely be worth it and then suddenly they started waving goodbye! Luckily they did So Far Away then before they left and that song is not exactly something to write home about to start with is it? If you ask me which songs they played that night - honestly I have absolutely no idea. They were all too "boring" to take notice.

Not that I don't like folk songs or folk instruments. Far from it. But what he's doing now just doesn't work for me. I bought all his albums but the number of songs I listened from these solo projects (or to be more precise - the number of songs I'd consider listening again - because I don't actually) was reduced with each next album he made. And with the last one it's pretty much down to one.

So, with that off my chest  ;) I still come here, I'm still interested in him, but I'm not expecting anything from his next project. I'll buy that CD, just to support him and keep my collection complete, but I will really really be incredibly surprised if he comes up with something I'd again start listening to more regularly.

As for attending another concert. I would. Gladly. But it will likely be nowhere near me and his playing recently lets just say I'm not overly enthusiastic about even if he does an old one. Which he doesn't. And it's perhaps even better that way. If he can't do his signature guitar playing anymore that he just needs to do if he does an old song - he just better skip it. So no reason to attend I suppose. Sad but true.

Was that too much moaning?

Somebody mentioned You And Your Friend and how it would probably go well with his recent work. I'd love another live version of this. It's a great song in my mind but it was hardly ever played live. Probably only on OES tour and not even sure it was there every night. But is he up to the task even if he wanted to do it? He better not do a whistle and accordion duel over some of his strumming I tell you!

Wow, I don't think I was planning to talk so much!  ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #956 on: July 06, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »
Primi - Are you serious?    You can only listen to one song from Tracker?     :disbelief
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #957 on: July 06, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
Was that too much moaning?

In my opinion, yes, it was, primi. Sure, his guitar playing isn't what it used to be. Sure, he should focus on songs that don't suffer from that fact. Like you, I don't think that he could do "You and your Friend" justice these days. But I mightily disagree on what you say about his recent songwriting. Is there a Dire Straits song that is better (better, not just equally great) than "Seattle"? Than "Lights of Taormina"? Than "the Fish & the Bird"? I don't think so. As long as he continues to write goosebump songs like that, I don't see much reason to complain.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:24:44 AM by Rail King »

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #958 on: July 06, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
Lights of Taormina I like (one of those rare ones I'd consider listening to again). I wouldn't rate it as an all time great though. The other two I have no idea about, I'll have to listen to them again. Surely they didn't strike me as anything worth noting at the time, certainly no goosebumps on my side.

His music shifted. Nothing wrong with that really. Things change, people change. As a consequence his fans will likely change as well. He will lose and has lost many and hopefully he got some (or even many) new ones as well.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when his new work comes out. But I'm not expecting anything.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #959 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Lights of Taormina I like (one of those rare ones I'd consider listening to again). I wouldn't rate it as an all time great though. The other two I have no idea about, I'll have to listen to them again. Surely they didn't strike me as anything worth noting at the time, certainly no goosebumps on my side.

His music shifted. Nothing wrong with that really. Things change, people change. As a consequence his fans will likely change as well. He will lose and has lost many and hopefully he got some (or even many) new ones as well.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when his new work comes out. But I'm not expecting anything.

I admit I don't listen to the album at all.  After the initial excitement died, the only songs I really liked were Laughs and Jokes and Mighty Man so I prefer to listen to a live concert instead.  Silver Eagle and Skydiver are not bad but I can get Skydiver live and SE on YT so the album gathers dust.

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 41 queries.