Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 614928 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #975 on: July 08, 2017, 11:29:54 PM »
Why don't you just listen to it, rather than speculating about a recording you don't know ?

Thank you for asking! In short — for the sake of it. Because 1 possibly good recording out of 80 recorded shows doesn't sound very inspiring to me. Besides, as I listened to many sticks right from the beginning of the tour, I witnessed the same mistakes done meticulously in each and every show, so why these mistakes would magically disappear in Sion? No, thanks, I'm better to wait for a proper live album to be released (I hope!). In case of the release all the 2015 recordings must be burned and buried somewhere as E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial video game :lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:21:01 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #976 on: July 09, 2017, 10:14:30 AM »
Well, if you know Poupistar (Elian) this french guy who listened to every single European show in FLAC format to rate them both performance and sound-wise, let me tell you that he has no complacency whatsoever. He has trashed many recordings with a mere 3/10 mark.
But he has praised a few others, good performance and great sound where every instrument can be clearly heard, and Sion was one of these few - he gave 9/10.
Anyway, if you want to spend more time explaining why you will not listen to it rather than just giving it a try with an open mind, well... That's a free world...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:22:57 AM by herlock »

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #977 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:27 AM »
Where can we find Elian's ratings of the European shows on the web? I'd be interested to read his opinions.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #978 on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:43 PM »
Well, if you know Poupistar (Elian) this french guy who listened to every single European show in FLAC format to rate them both performance and sound-wise, let me tell you that he has no complacency whatsoever. He has trashed many recordings with a mere 3/10 mark.
But he has praised a few others, good performance and great sound where every instrument can be clearly heard, and Sion was one of these few - he gave 9/10.
Anyway, if you want to spend more time explaining why you will not listen to it rather than just giving it a try with an open mind, well... That's a free world...

Makes no difference now anyway because the recording is no longer available;  only the N American leg is available on the Knopfler website to purchase. 

BTW, I think the Austin show has been mixed rather better than most and has a nice version of Sultans to boot.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #979 on: July 09, 2017, 01:08:19 PM »
Where can we find Elian's ratings of the European shows on the web? I'd be interested to read his opinions.
http://i-was-there.net/2015/05/24/mk-tracker-tour-concert-stick-usb-flac-part1/

French only !!

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #980 on: July 09, 2017, 01:12:29 PM »

Makes no difference now anyway because the recording is no longer available;  only the N American leg is available on the Knopfler website to purchase. 

BTW, I think the Austin show has been mixed rather better than most and has a nice version of Sultans to boot.
Frankly, since they don't offer the possibility to buy them, I would feel no remorse sharing them... It has already been done... :)

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #981 on: July 09, 2017, 01:19:08 PM »

French only !!

I actually think he gives high grades haha. Nice of him to do this though  :thumbsup
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #982 on: July 09, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »

French only !!

I was at both the Manchester concert and the Newcastle one and although both concerts were very good, the recording quality imo of the Manchester one is far superior to the Newcastle one, which sounds far too harsh and tinny for my ears and I never listen to it.  Interestingly, Elian rates this concert above Manchester, which I listen to often.  I would also rate the Manchester concert a tad higher for performance than Newcastle, so obviously it must be a matter of personal taste!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:56:54 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #983 on: July 10, 2017, 09:18:30 AM »
Okay, and now back to the topic of this thread, studio news.

Oh, there aren't any?! :think

Offlinesabicao

• Guitar George
« Reply #984 on: July 15, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »
Lights of Taormina I like (one of those rare ones I'd consider listening to again). I wouldn't rate it as an all time great though. The other two I have no idea about, I'll have to listen to them again. Surely they didn't strike me as anything worth noting at the time, certainly no goosebumps on my side.

His music shifted. Nothing wrong with that really. Things change, people change. As a consequence his fans will likely change as well. He will lose and has lost many and hopefully he got some (or even many) new ones as well.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when his new work comes out. But I'm not expecting anything.

True. And I would add this: would any of us be here if the first 6 years of his career never happened? Surely not - his best work was done over 25 years ago, it is just that some of us adapted to his newer work, some didn't. I'm with primi, here. I didn't.

I tried to like MK's post DS work. I really did, but it just didn't happen. I liked parts of STP, but that was about it.

I even skipped one of his comings to Portugal, having hated one of his previous gigs here.
In 2015, I was going to skip it again, but then, when I left work to go home, I decided to go to the concert.
Glad I did, I liked it. I reall did. He didn't play Money for Nothing nor Walk of life (songs I never really liked), I was happy with that. Also, apart for Sultans of Swing, I was surprised to see him not trying to play things he really can't play anymore.

The concert was very pleasant, I made my peace with the man. I left the venue wishing he stops trying Sultans (he really can't play it anymore), but satisfied with the gig as a whole.

So, although I am not expecting him to put out an album that hits me as the early DS days, I still wish he keeps recording, so I can hope to see him live again.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #985 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:53 PM »
It's true that MK has so many fans nowadays because of his DS days. His solo works are good but not enough to attract thousands of fans.

If you do a poll in any of the concerts, I'm sure that pretty much everyone would say that he is s fan since DS and just some individual cases would say they first fell in love with MK and then looked at their past.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #986 on: July 15, 2017, 03:56:38 PM »
would any of us be here if the first 6 years of his career never happened?

Yes, I would. I only discovered MK when "On Every Street" came out, as a kid. And today, I listen to his solo albums more often than to his Dire-Straits records. I wouldn't say they're better or worse, just different – and somehow they seem to appeal to me more the older I get.

The question whether he would have become famous based on his solo stuff alone is a good one - maybe I would still have discovered him (I hope so), or maybe not - but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of his music. There's a lot more music being produced these days, and thus you need even more luck to be discovered than you needed in the old days. Oh, and like Noel Gallagher once said: "Just because you sell lots of records it doesn't mean to say you're any good. Look at Phil Collins."  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #987 on: July 15, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
would any of us be here if the first 6 years of his career never happened?

Yes, I would. I only discovered MK when "On Every Street" came out, as a kid. And today, I listen to his solo albums more often than to his Dire-Straits records. I wouldn't say they're better or worse, just different – and somehow they seem to appeal to me more the older I get.

The question whether he would have become famous based on his solo stuff alone is a good one - maybe I would still have discovered him (I hope so), or maybe not - but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality of his music. There's a lot more music being produced these days, and thus you need even more luck to be discovered than you needed in the old days. Oh, and like Noel Gallagher once said: "Just because you sell lots of records it doesn't mean to say you're any good. Look at Phil Collins."  ;)

Yes, without a doubt!   I was a DS fan from '82, but when MK went solo I realised that this was the music that appealed to me more!  I have a playlist of DS/MK music, but it has 95% solo material.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #988 on: July 15, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
DS material is just 60 songs, while Mark have at least triple amount of solo songs, plus, themes of the songs became wider, more love songs.
So no wonder why If I listen to Mark's music, 90% of the time it would be his solo songs. I want to play them, I want to listen to them :thumbsup

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #989 on: July 15, 2017, 09:14:52 PM »
Basil is one of the best melodies he has ever written, and that is from his last album. Nuff said.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.