Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 614881 times)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #1995 on: February 21, 2018, 03:04:08 PM »
KTGC is very nice to me, all the melodies are nice

I think some people don't like it just because the style/kind of sound is far away from DS

Privateering is also very different from the DS sound and still it is a fan favourite.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1996 on: February 21, 2018, 03:15:51 PM »

I think some people don't like it just because the style/kind of sound is far away from DS

Privateering is also very different from the DS sound and still it is a fan favourite.

Exactly. The only two albums that carry that DS sound are GH and STP. Maybe SL, if you push it a little.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1997 on: February 21, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
Really? The DS spirit is more or less present on each album.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1998 on: February 21, 2018, 03:55:37 PM »
Too The Ragpicker's Dream
Clear as the day

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #1999 on: February 21, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »

Exactly. The only two albums that carry that DS sound are GH and STP. Maybe SL, if you push it a little.
I can agree that STP is a DS album in disguise.
But GH is not very DS to me. Very folky.
And SL is not either. Or maybe in the league of Communiqué, with a mix of melencholia and send.
GL is much more DS to me, with BR an energetic opener like DTTW, Before gaz and TV lyrically akin to TR, and Piper - the new BIA !
Privateering has some DS-like elements like Yon Two Crows...

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2000 on: February 21, 2018, 04:48:18 PM »

I can agree that STP is a DS album in disguise.
But GH is not very DS to me. Very folky.
And SL is not either. Or maybe in the league of Communiqué, with a mix of melencholia and send.
GL is much more DS to me, with BR an energetic opener like DTTW, Before gaz and TV lyrically akin to TR, and Piper - the new BIA !
Privateering has some DS-like elements like Yon Two Crows...

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, sorry. I meant those albums sound more like DS than the others to my ears. I say that based on its instruments and arrangements, that predominantly avoid violins, accordions and so on and also have far more eletric than acoustic guitars. TRD was built around Mark's acoustic guitar and from KTGC onwards Mark has been privileging the folkies to the detriment of his guitar.

But yeah, it's Mark Knopfler and we all know that everything he touches sounds unique and DS-like.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2001 on: February 21, 2018, 05:20:55 PM »
"But yeah, it's Mark Knopfler and we all know that everything he touches sounds unique and DS-like"

I fully agree :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:29:12 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2002 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:57 PM »
I think KTGC is a very underrated album.    It has a very retro feel about it reminding me of the 50s, especially We Can Get Wild, which mentions the DA haircut and also "Billy Fury on the gramophone" - even Bert Weedon's "Play in a day" is in there too!  It's not my favourite album, but I don't dislike it and there are many really lovely songs - Heart Full of Holes, Punish the Monkey, We Can Get Wild, The Scaffolders Wife, Madam Geneva and also In the Sky, which I do like!    :)

Reminds you of the 50s?  Something your Mum must've told you about Val.  ;)

LOL!   Flattery will get you nowhere, dmg - you should have gone to Specsavers!    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #2003 on: February 21, 2018, 07:27:27 PM »
I think In The Sky is the biggest missed opportunity in human history. The song itself is beautiful but the arrangement is so bloody bland!

That song could've been Mark's solo career's Brothers in Arms. Forget about guitar tremolos and saxphones, I love those but not in this one. I can hear the keyboards and the folkies as a bed in the background, creating that mellow and slightly trippy atmosphere. Now I can feel the buildup, first drums and bass show up and then start pushing a bit harder, Mark's Les Paul firing those stunning and melodic licks in between his vocals, it's gaining momentum... Then we explode into the chorus, In the Sky, In The Sky... everything is roaring, but Mark's kind of roaring, classy, harmonious and emotional. The song continues with this dynamics until the last bit before the final chorus. It's just Mark's voice and Guy's keyboards. So moving and delicate... then the Les Paul tears into it, shortly followed by the drums and everyone else, we hit the last chorus and then... oh, and then Mark plays the most beautiful, melodic and spiritual solo ever! And it's long, very long.

But no, we got saxphone solos and yet another repetitive arrangement. Sorry, I can't forgive that album  :disbelief

Now this is a great post!

LE

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #2004 on: February 21, 2018, 09:50:17 PM »
I think KTGC is a very underrated album.    It has a very retro feel about it reminding me of the 50s, especially We Can Get Wild, which mentions the DA haircut and also "Billy Fury on the gramophone" - even Bert Weedon's "Play in a day" is in there too!  It's not my favourite album, but I don't dislike it and there are many really lovely songs - Heart Full of Holes, Punish the Monkey, We Can Get Wild, The Scaffolders Wife, Madam Geneva and also In the Sky, which I do like!    :)

Reminds you of the 50s?  Something your Mum must've told you about Val.  ;)

LOL!   Flattery will get you nowhere, dmg - you should have gone to Specsavers!    :wave
luckily, today one does't have to be born in the 30's to know how does 50's sounds eh? ;)
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #2005 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:21 PM »
When it comes to Kill To Get Crimson, all great songs, personally I can't make a decision if any song is better than another.
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #2006 on: February 22, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
I think In The Sky is the biggest missed opportunity in human history. The song itself is beautiful but the arrangement is so bloody bland!

That song could've been Mark's solo career's Brothers in Arms. Forget about guitar tremolos and saxphones, I love those but not in this one. I can hear the keyboards and the folkies as a bed in the background, creating that mellow and slightly trippy atmosphere. Now I can feel the buildup, first drums and bass show up and then start pushing a bit harder, Mark's Les Paul firing those stunning and melodic licks in between his vocals, it's gaining momentum... Then we explode into the chorus, In the Sky, In The Sky... everything is roaring, but Mark's kind of roaring, classy, harmonious and emotional. The song continues with this dynamics until the last bit before the final chorus. It's just Mark's voice and Guy's keyboards. So moving and delicate... then the Les Paul tears into it, shortly followed by the drums and everyone else, we hit the last chorus and then... oh, and then Mark plays the most beautiful, melodic and spiritual solo ever! And it's long, very long.

But no, we got saxphone solos and yet another repetitive arrangement. Sorry, I can't forgive that album  :disbelief

I think that's the great thing about Mark, why would he want to produce another Brothers in Arms? He has done that, why do it again? I don't think it fits the lyrics and personally I think the arrangement of In The Sky is brilliant, I could listen to it for hours. There is enormous amount of tension but it's still very calm, very few can do that.

What I love about KTGC is that it's different, a turning point in MK's solo career. It's the least DS-like record but still very much Mark. Just as you can't compare the first DS record with OES, you can't compare KTGC with GH or STP. He moved on and that's one of the things I didn't like about Tracker, it's just more of the same. Every record until Tracker had something new but I think every song on Tracker has been done before. Honestly I think he's running out of ideas (musically).

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2007 on: February 22, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
"I think that's the great thing about Mark, why would he want to produce another Brothers in Arms? He has done that, why do it again? I don't think it fits the lyrics and personally I think the arrangement of In The Sky is brilliant, I could listen to it for hours. There is enormous amount of tension but it's still very calm, very few can do that.
What I love about KTGC is that it's different, a turning point in MK's solo career"

I agree with that :)

Words In The Sky fits beautifully with music
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:46:30 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #2008 on: February 22, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »

I think that's the great thing about Mark, why would he want to produce another Brothers in Arms? He has done that, why do it again? I don't think it fits the lyrics and personally I think the arrangement of In The Sky is brilliant, I could listen to it for hours. There is enormous amount of tension but it's still very calm, very few can do that.

What I love about KTGC is that it's different, a turning point in MK's solo career. It's the least DS-like record but still very much Mark. Just as you can't compare the first DS record with OES, you can't compare KTGC with GH or STP. He moved on and that's one of the things I didn't like about Tracker, it's just more of the same. Every record until Tracker had something new but I think every song on Tracker has been done before. Honestly I think he's running out of ideas (musically).

Whilst I agree with you about "In the Sky" - I like it very much too.  I disagree about Tracker.  For me it's Mark's best album to date and I listen to it from beginning to end with no skippers.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2009 on: February 22, 2018, 10:54:54 AM »
Exactly
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 41 queries.