Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back into the Studio very soon  (Read 614677 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: Back into the Studio very soon
« Reply #2040 on: February 23, 2018, 04:51:19 PM »
Sonny Landreth has very good technique, but I do'nt like him, he is too technical, not enough soulful for me, but that's only my opinion of course

Watch it!  ;D

I take it you haven't heard his all instrumental album? It's okay, I forgive you. ;)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2041 on: February 23, 2018, 04:53:01 PM »
I agree with Jbaent
of course music is not a competition/sport etc..., but when you think "slide player" it's obvious that MK si not the first one that cames to mind
Ry Cooder, Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, Ben Harper, they are the names I immediately think when I think to "slide players" (Sonny Landreth has very good technique, but I do'nt like him, he is too technical, not enough soulful for me, but that's only my opinion of course)

the point is not to judge musicians, but is to have an "objective" point of view when you look at the whole rock history so to say.
It's like if you said : MK is the best wah-guitar player because he used one on it never rains, wag the dog and early bird. of course if you have to name a famous wah-guitar player, MK is not the one. the same for slide.

when I think to "fingerpicking on electric", MK is the first one that cames to mind, followed by Chet Atkins and Ry Cooder, but also Robbie Krieger.
And now, many guitarists plays both pick and fingers (Clapton, Bonamassa, etc...) while during the 80s, MK was mainly the only one (among famous popular guitarists)

Val's opinion is another thing, it's about personnal taste, not about "critical view" so to say. Saying you like something is not contradictory with saying it's poor, or it's not the best, etc...
I am always atohnished by the lack of objective point of view by some people.
DS/MK is my personnal favoriste artist, but it's not a reason to rate them/him as "genius, best, etc..."
On the contary they are many artists I don't like, but I would rate as milestones in music history

So, Val's opinion is totally compatible with Jbaent's one : Val talks about what she likes, and Jbaent about how he rates Mark's slide playing
Great name forgotten: jerry douglas

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2042 on: February 23, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
Guys, keep in mind that Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen fans usually classify Mark's playing as poor. He's too slow and limited they say...

Note that pretty much every single slide ace such as Trucks and Landreth will play slide in at least 90% of the songs. It's a different instrument basically. I can't think of any guitar player that exceeds in both. You gotta commit to that if you want to achieve excellence. The tuning is different, the scales are different, the strings are higher... it's like comparing rugby to american football.

Mark in my opinion plays good slide, better than the vast majority of people who are not experts. I don't think Gilmour does it better than him unless you're referring to pedal steel. Clapton yes, but not that much better.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:20:38 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2043 on: February 23, 2018, 05:23:13 PM »
Guys, keep in mind that Steve Vai, Joe Satriani and Yngwie Malmsteen fans usually classify Mark's playing as poor. He's too slow and limited they say...

Note that pretty much every single slide ace such as Trucks and Landreth will play slide in at least 90% of the songs. It's a different instrument basically. I can't think of any guitar player that exceeds in both. You gotta commit to that if you want to achieve excellence. The tuning is different, the scales are different, the strings are higher... it's like comparing rugby to american football.

Mark in my opinion plays good slide, better than the vast majority of people who are not experts. I don't think Gilmour does it better than him unless you're referring to pedal steel. Clapton yes, but not that much better.
Rory Gallagher did. And SRV

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2044 on: February 23, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »
I'd have to check it out but if you can only name two people that says something.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2045 on: February 23, 2018, 05:50:42 PM »
I found this and based on what I heard I don't think he mastered it. Compared to his regular guitar playing it's pretty unimpressive. Still pretty good to me though.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2046 on: February 23, 2018, 06:14:17 PM »
I can't think of any guitar player that exceeds in both.

Duane Allman : listen to live at filmore east or the Layla album, and you will hear that he was amazing both on slide (layla, too late, key to the highway) and fret playing (little wing, love so bad, anyday)

Ry Cooder : of course a great slide player, but his rthyhm work on "very things that makes you rich" is outstanding ihmo

Derek Truck can play great fret playing too
I agree about Gallagher too

oh and I forgot the great Mick Taylor. A very underestimaed guitarist. amzing both on slide and fret, and during the same track (e.g. sway)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:17:37 PM by JF »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2047 on: February 23, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
The tuning is different, the scales are different, the strings are higher...

it depends. some guitarists plays frets on open tunning, and some guitarists plays slide on standard tunning

Duane Allman, Ry Cooder and Mick Taylor often played both styles on the same guitar

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2048 on: February 23, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
"I found this and based on what I heard I don't think he mastered it. Compared to his regular guitar playing it's pretty unimpressive. Still pretty good to me though"

I'm far from comparisons, but Gator Blood by Mark Knopfler is definitely better :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:21:30 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2049 on: February 23, 2018, 06:19:25 PM »
I don't think Gilmour does it better than him unless you're referring to pedal steel.

gilmour plays on pedal steel but wothout pedals, so it's much "lap steel" then

of course I didn't talk about Paul Franklin, because it's another instrument for me

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2050 on: February 23, 2018, 06:37:13 PM »
Still not many... and in my opinion, slide aside, Mark at his peak was way more impressive than any of them.

Slide back on, I'm not saying Mark is a great slide guitar player but I don't think he's bad either. He does his little thing and it sounds pretty good to my ears - and the truth is he doesn't need more than that really. I'm sure that if he thinks his skills are not good enough for a particular song he'll either get someone to play it like he's done before or forget about it and use his fingers.

All that being said, I'd love to see Derek Trucks and Mark playing together.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2051 on: February 23, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »
When I recorded my little album I decided to play slide in a track. I had never played with a slide in my entire life... went to a rock shop, got one and practiced the riff and only that for two weeks. Took me at least 30 takes to get it (almost) right lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #2052 on: February 23, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
On stage I generally does not enjoy much the way Mark has been playing the slide these latter years.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #2053 on: February 23, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
On stage I generally does not enjoy much the way Mark has been playing the slide these latter years.

Mark's playing as a whole has dropped down a few levels over the last decade or so...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2054 on: February 23, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »
Eddie... SRV is another dimension. In a Jimi Hendrix level.

Funnily he opened for Dire Straits in 1985 when he was starting.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.