Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: recent David Gilmour documentary  (Read 5947 times)

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
recent David Gilmour documentary
« on: October 09, 2016, 09:00:54 PM »
So I had been watching that recent piece on David Gilmour where  in the end the family sits around a fire and DG plays guitar by that campfire.

Can you imagine MK doing this? Somehow, I can't, I'm afraid. That is sad to me. One just has to respect one's talent, so one has to play.
I sincerely hope that he will be returning to his initial passion, that red fender - you know, some say he even knows what the catalogue smells like.

And if the output will be a screaming Les Paul, that's fine to me, too.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 09:03:09 PM by Justme »
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Love Expresso

Re: recent David Gilmour documentary
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 09:16:15 PM »
Haven't seen the docu as I can't stand DG and don't find anything in him I'm afraid.

I don't know what it exactly is you are talking about?
MK has done a European/ US tour with 86 (?) dates.
He puts out albums on a regular basis still with new original material written all by himself. There is plenty of electric guitar on them. Plus there are documentaries like Life of Songs or Guitar Stories where he opens himself more than usual.

I have a slightly thin idea what you COULD mean, and the term " Guitar God"  has to do with it...
Kitty and the girls at the campfire?  ;)

LE

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 09:29:01 PM »
Yeah, within the last two sentences, I think you got it. Sometimes I wish he would show off / re-develop his guitar skills....

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »
Please, don't get me wrong. I honestly do like his recent recordings, but I'm longing for a bit more of that tone and feeling, that struck me, when I first heard him play.

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 10:59:49 PM »
I made the discovery that it is the best thing to look  at what he has done and be happy with it. Let's face it he is at the end of his career. One or two more albums with maybe smaller tours... that'll it. No sparkling guitar bonfires anymore. He doesn't practise anymore obviously and the fast stuff gives him more and more trouble. I guess his hands suffer from "too many Sultans and too much Telegraph Roads" as he once said. Maybe more than one would imagine. More slide guitar and acoustic parts pay tribute to that.

Sad sounding maybe  but he has done his duty. More than enough.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »
So I had been watching that recent piece on David Gilmour where  in the end the family sits around a fire and DG plays guitar by that campfire.

Can you imagine MK doing this? Somehow, I can't, I'm afraid. That is sad to me. One just has to respect one's talent, so one has to play.
I sincerely hope that he will be returning to his initial passion, that red fender - you know, some say he even knows what the catalogue smells like.

And if the output will be a screaming Les Paul, that's fine to me, too.

Amazingly this documentary was aired just yesterday on our Russian Channel 1, and it was fantastic! I love it.
And this is exactly my thoughts! If you haven't seen this documentary yet, go and see it, it's very good.

I started to love David GIlmour much more than I did before... His attitude on kids, parents, music, Roger... just incredible.
Can I imagine Mark doing it? No way! And if you remember, my topic about his (successful) sister was deleted from AMIT.

The thing with Mark is, you have to love him for who he is. But it would be much better if he... and here everybody have a list of 100 things.

P.S. And also you should respect which song David played by that campfire :clap
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 11:19:46 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineJarle

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 01:34:26 PM »
Luckily enough, Mark doesn't have to play fast guitar to make great music. In fact, he doesn't have to play the guitar at all. I think it is pointless for any of us to set an expire date on his creativity. Time will show. The guitar God stuff is all there in his past for those who are interested. Many fans haven't moved on yet, but Mark certainly has...
It's the end of a perfect day..,.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
It´s a great documentary, I watched it the next day it was broadcasted, thanks to our trusty friends of Yeeskhul!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 02:25:33 PM »

Very nice. Daffyd can to play exelens gitar! Exelent tone. I love his studio ship.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »
Check your keyboard, it looks like broken or badly configured.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 12:41:20 AM »
I'm actually happy with MK's recent albums, Slide? Yeah there has been a lot of that recently but I like it and we all know how MK goes through phases....in the early 90's it was all Paul Franklin slide, he toured with DS and the NHB's, so expect this phase to be replaced with something else....in recent years acoustic guitar based songs have been making a big appearance too....

Where I do think things needs a pretty substantial shake up is during the live shows....the sets have sadly become all to predicable and formulaic recently.  We all know we got a few gems recently and there is some support here in the forum for MK set lists in recent years, but for me and this is purely a personal opinion I'm not sure I could stand another primarily "same same" tour next time....
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:34 AM »

Have you make consider maybe I am dyslectric and my english languge like piece of sheet? But you make understand, so no problemo.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 10:11:23 AM »
Where I do think things needs a pretty substantial shake up is during the live shows....the sets have sadly become all to predicable and formulaic recently.  We all know we got a few gems recently and there is some support here in the forum for MK set lists in recent years, but for me and this is purely a personal opinion I'm not sure I could stand another primarily "same same" tour next time....

I'm not sure if his musicians would stand it, I'm pretty sure I've seen couple of times how Glenn was playing Sultans while sleeping.
But MK needs to do it not only for a sake of music. I like how 71 years old Van Morrison honestly said in his recent interview:

Rolling Stone: You have a drive to do this – writing, recording, touring – your own way.

Van Morrison: It's not a drive. It's what I do. It's like Robbie Robertson said to me: "It's like breathing." I've been doing a lot of touring in the past several years because I need the money. I was running out of money, paying for a lot of stuff. I had to go out there again.

Last time I remember honesty of this magnitude is when I read an interview with Chuck Berry. And the most important thing, is that Van Morrison and Mark Knopfler have almost identical estimated net worth, except for Morrison not having fancy studios etc., so continue to pay your money down for same-same tours and everybody will be happy I guess.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 11:49:26 AM »

Have you make consider maybe I am dyslectric and my english languge like piece of sheet? But you make understand, so no problemo.

Any PC, laptop, smartphone has options to check spelling automatically.

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:53:26 AM »

Any PC, laptop, smartphone has options to check spelling automatically.

For me automatic spell make worse. Believe in me.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 43 queries.