Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Playtime deluxe  (Read 64815 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Playtime deluxe
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2016, 09:02:23 PM »
If a thread develops in a complete other direction than it's topic was intending then it is a normal thing to point out to that or make a remark or give a hint. It is hardly an "offence" and should not be judged as that. So no worries.

LE

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2016, 04:48:53 PM »
Yes but not only did I go off on a tangent (based on something posted by someone else) but then I went off on a tangent from the original tangent (and that was entirely down to me).

Anyway, you folks can get back on track now.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2016, 06:36:05 PM »
Actually I'm still curious about who is the drummer in Playtime Deluxe, Spinetti or Broad...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2016, 07:49:12 PM »
Please twm.. I thought about it - from my point of view, Playtime Deluxe as a song is not worth more than, let's say, five or six posts  ;) whereas most of the time your (Dylan- or history) related posts are much more interesting .. so please don't hesitate if a new story comes to your mind!  :wave

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2016, 09:11:38 AM »
Agreed, I liked the Gene Pitney chat. MK's  guitar on Hand on Hand is surely an homage to 24 Hours From Tulsa.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2016, 10:13:54 AM »
Just listened "Playtime Deluxe" again since the first listening... oh man it's great. Guitar playing is insane, arrangement is so good :clap

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:59 PM »
Just listened "Playtime Deluxe" again since the first listening... oh man it's great. Guitar playing is insane, arrangement is so good :clap

Only because play by MK.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
It's nothing special... There is no secret in playing a Les Paul loud, no matter if you play three notes and repeat them endlessly, if it's played loud it would sound great even it's simple and nothing extraordinary...

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
It's nothing special... There is no secret in playing a Les Paul loud, no matter if you play three notes and repeat them endlessly, if it's played loud it would sound great even it's simple and nothing extraordinary...

Do you mean that it sounds good anyway when Mark is playing? Because when I am playing with LP it doesn´t sound great :D

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »
If you play well, and you have a good amp, it would sound terrific!

But if MK is who plays, for us it would be the greatest thing on earth, that's for sure, even he just play one note for 30 seconds  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2016, 01:04:10 PM »

But if MK is who plays, for us it would be the greatest thing on earth, that's for sure, even he just play one note for 30 seconds  ;D

Some of us have been known to be critical... :wave
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »

Some of us have been known to be critical... :wave

Impossible... MK is the best guitarist, the best songwriter, the best singer, the best anything-you-coul-think-about...  ;D

Actually "Playtime Deluxe" is not the best thing he ever made, because he is recording something, that would be the best they ever did...

;D ;D ;D :lol :lol :lol

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2016, 09:39:05 PM »
Yevtushenko is an academic as well as being a poet and has worked in a number of U.S. colleges and universities. I'm not sure which you regard as Dylan's "hometown". 

Yevtushenko's  links with the world beyond Russia go back a long way. He was certainly travelling abroad in the early 1960s. I seem to recall that he was in Cuba at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis in late 1962.

I think the earliest published translation of Yevtushenko into English was in 1962 in the Penguin Modern European Poets series, "Yevtushenko - Selected Poems". My own copy is dated 1967, the fourth reprinting of the book by Penguin in five years, which must be some measure of his popularity amongst English readers.

Yevtushenko was being linked with Dylan as far back as 1963. "Mr Dylan's compositions don't fit into any pigeon-hole; the minute you have one characterized, it flies away. His lyrics mix a solo sermon out of Guthrie's conversational folksay with a dash of Rimbaud's demonic imagery or even a bit of Yevtushenko's social criticism" (Robert Shelton, NEW YORK TIMES, 13 April 1963).  This was before Dylan's second album, THE FREEWHEELIN' BOB DYLAN, had been released. The Shelton article prompted a short essay entitled, "Yevtushenko, Lorca and Bob Dylan" in one of the folk magazines (Josh Dunson, BROADSIDE # 27, June 1963).

During Dylan's 1985 visit to Russia, he went down to Odessa, from which members of his own family had emigrated many years before. There was also talk once of a couple of shows to be set up in Leningrad but nothing came of it.

Dire Straits' record sales were immense for certain, fairly extended periods of time (and this brought about sold out concerts all over the world). Dylan has been a different sort of performer and creator: his albums tend to sell well on release and then sales fall away - but he has recorded dozens and dozens of albums and written hundreds and hundreds of songs. So much material has been recorded, not released at the time but subsequently officially released that he probably has more albums of this older material now officially released than Dire Straits, the Hillbillies and solo Mark Knopfler between them have albums released in total. 

After all, just one of the BOOTLEG SERIES albums (last year's CUTTING EDGE) contained 18 CDs and this year's LIVE 1966 box set contains 36 CDs, so that's 54 CDs-worth of (admittedly older) recordings released in just the last year or so.  Next year, we are told that there will a release of material from his "Gospel Years" - 1979 to 1981.

As well as his own songs, he has performed and/or recorded hundreds of songs written by others. There is a book on the subject and it runs to over 400 pages! It was written 2008 and the subject probably deserves a follow-up book.

As well as recording, Dylan has been an active performer. Dylan's St Petersburg show in 2008 was his 2037th since the start of the so-called Never-Ending Tour in the middle of 1988.  Since then, Dylan has performed another (roughly) 700 concerts. None of these figures include all those shows he performed between 1961 and 1987.

In addition to all this, he has written books, made films, exhibited at art galleries (paintings and metal sculptures), been the subject of several documentaries, received many public awards, including most recently, the Nobel Literature Prize, and so it goes on.

Believe me, I'm not trying to put MK or his works down; I'm only trying to say that you are not comparing like with like.

always love your essays twm, but one thing i must say here, the 36cd box of 1966 recordings is nothing more then that, live recordings, so if we count the bleecker street, and other incarnations, live recordings, mark easily "out-releases" bob. :-)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2016, 09:41:20 PM »
Sometimes threads go off at a tangent. That's the nature of the beast - as we say in the UK.

Another saying, less common, goes something like this - "He who rides the wild tiger cannot easily dismount". 

Sorry if going off-topic offends but I was just following up comments made earlier.

And I did make comments re "Playtime Deluxe" itself earlier.
absoletuly. and when it is not comments made up of bull, but rather interesting music info/history, i do not mind whatsoever. i get LE'S point, IN GENERAL, but here, it was interesting.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2016, 09:42:34 PM »
If a thread develops in a complete other direction than it's topic was intending then it is a normal thing to point out to that or make a remark or give a hint. It is hardly an "offence" and should not be judged as that. So no worries.

LE

had not read this yet when i wrote my earlier comments....just sayin' :-)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 41 queries.