Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Playtime deluxe  (Read 65287 times)

Offlinetwm

• Romeo
Re: Playtime deluxe
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2016, 10:19:34 AM »
I was commenting on official releases, so, as long as they are available to the general public, not just those attending the concerts, then the Bleecker Street recordings would certainly count towards the comparison.

Last year, Dylan's 1965 concert recordings were made available but only as downloads and only to those who had purchased THE CUTTING EDGE. They were certainly made available to the public but whether that counts as "to the general public", I do not know. I think it probably does from a legal point of view because, by making them available in this way, Sony Music believes that, under European law,  it has extended their copyright on these recordings.

As a bit of an aside, when we attended the Bridport event, I had pre-prepared a few questions just in case there was a dearth of questions from the floor (there wasn't, of course, and I had already decided to leave it to the true fans to ask their questions first). The one question I would like to have asked is whether MK had ever, or would ever, consider his equivalent of Bob Dylan's BOOTLEG SERIES of releases. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 11:08:45 AM by twm »

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2016, 10:41:06 AM »
The ultimate true fan question Mr twm!
I can imagine MK responding with "I'm not worthy of it..." or some other overly modest waffle :(
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2016, 01:42:03 PM »
The ultimate true fan question Mr twm!
I can imagine MK responding with "I'm not worthy of it..." or some other overly modest waffle :(

MK already answered that when was asked about writting his biography, and then Myles Palmer released an "unauthorised one"

Together with "I always look forward" one of the likely answers  ;D
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »
I can think in many many many better songwriters than him, well, I might correct, some better, some equal, and lot of them different.

Let´s say, just for a start, Bob Dylan, Leonhard Cohen, Paul Simon... the list is endless.

There are, indeed, many great songwriters and MK is up there with them, but it is MK's songwriting that gives me the greatest pleasure - his songs are playing every day in my house more than anyone else's.   Mark's songs changed my life - no other songwriter could do that.

+1
 :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »
I was commenting on official releases, so, as long as they are available to the general public, not just those attending the concerts, then the Bleecker Street recordings would certainly count towards the comparison.

Last year, Dylan's 1965 concert recordings were made available but only as downloads and only to those who had purchased THE CUTTING EDGE. They were certainly made available to the public but whether that counts as "to the general public", I do not know. I think it probably does from a legal point of view because, by making them available in this way, Sony Music believes that, under European law,  it has extended their copyright on these recordings.

As a bit of an aside, when we attended the Bridport event, I had pre-prepared a few questions just in case there was a dearth of questions from the floor (there wasn't, of course, and I had already decided to leave it to the true fans to ask their questions first). The one question I would like to have asked is whether MK had ever, or would ever, consider his equivalent of Bob Dylan's BOOTLEG SERIES of releases. 
the floyd have topped Bob's bootleg offering in one go with the Early Years box set. it is just mindblowing. omg, if mark would do this, i would faint. then sell whatever valuables i have to get a copy...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #125 on: December 10, 2016, 01:48:41 AM »
Hardly. Bob has issued so many volumes in the  bootleg series with the last 3 being in multiple editions with the DELUXE, SPECIAL, SUPER, LIMITED, LUXURIOUS, NUMBERED and very very expensive from 1965 counting more than the 14 CDs of Pink Floyd's first whole period. Of course the DVDs are as many and Bob hasn't equalled that, but well, we can't have everything. And Pink Floyd used film in their shows and as part of their promotion. In any case, I hope MK does not release in the same manner because I will have to sell my Bob Dylan records in order to buy his box. After all, who needs 16 discs of live recordings from just one tour, in a bulky box, when he can fit everything and more in a nice hard drive, maybe with not very arty covers (or even no cover art at all) and not that good sound, but with memories of listening to those bootlegs and knowing them by heart, irreplaceable?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #126 on: January 01, 2017, 09:10:44 AM »
Let's just hope the album version doesn't have flutes and whistles on it!   :lol

My thoughts exactly!!

I have to say I really like the 'PD' and personally it's nice to see MK 'letting loose' on the 'Les Paul' - to me it is a very moody track full of guitar playing delight.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:16:03 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
« Reply #127 on: January 01, 2017, 10:01:49 AM »

the floyd have topped Bob's bootleg offering in one go with the Early Years box set. it is just mindblowing. omg, if mark would do this, i would faint. then sell whatever valuables i have to get a copy...

Pink Floyd and Bob Dilan is much more big legend from MK and DS. Small market for MK. And MK is MK, he always llook to future.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2017, 03:34:30 PM »
Well, that was Mark's choice as he hates the spotlights. Regarding his always forward approach it's very sellfish of him imho. When an artist releases work from previous encarnations it doesn't mean nostalgia or anything related. You can do both, the fans deserve it.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
Two cool new videos from the event:

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
brilliant, really wanted to see the Van Morrison one. Thanks

OfflineDave

• Guitar George
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2017, 08:23:29 PM »
Thanks for the videos.

Is it just me or is MK suffering from a shaky right hand? Nervs (he is human after all) or a physical issue? Most clearly visible when he uses the pickup selector.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 11:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the videos.

Is it just me or is MK suffering from a shaky right hand? Nervs (he is human after all) or a physical issue? Most clearly visible when he uses the pickup selector.

Looks kind of natural to me. Sometimes I too suffer from shaky hands, especially when I'm hungry, but I think in his case it's a combination of age, audience and appetite (he's human after all) :lol :lol :lol

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2017, 02:58:23 PM »
Thanks for the videos.

Definitely nervous, he's also fiddling with his jacket all the time. New song, new guitar, not his own band, not played on stage for a while, etc... great solo's though!

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
I had thought he was grabbing at his jacket becasue of sweaty hands.   :think
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 37 queries.