Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Playtime deluxe  (Read 65230 times)

OfflineCrusty

• Banned
  • Camerado
Re: Playtime deluxe
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
MK is just the luckiest guy in the world, as he said about himself. He found his own sound (that feeling when you can be 100% sure it was Mark playing from the very first seconds of the record), he found his own style of writing, own way of playing. I mean, how many guys you've ever seen plays with resting ring and little fingers like MK? It's his most original invention and to me, the "Knopfleriest" thing of all. Also, I absolute hate when people are trying to copy that signature rest, to me it's ridiculous, worse than anything. You can copy songs, vocals, licks, but the rest? No, thanks... Don't do that.

You are so full of yourself, it's painful. Please.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
MK is just the luckiest guy in the world, as he said about himself. He found his own sound (that feeling when you can be 100% sure it was Mark playing from the very first seconds of the record), he found his own style of writing, own way of playing. I mean, how many guys you've ever seen plays with resting ring and little fingers like MK? It's his most original invention and to me, the "Knopfleriest" thing of all. Also, I absolute hate when people are trying to copy that signature rest, to me it's ridiculous, worse than anything. You can copy songs, vocals, licks, but the rest? No, thanks... Don't do that.

You are so full of yourself, it's painful. Please.

Please continue? ;D

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #182 on: July 28, 2017, 05:22:01 PM »

I disagree with you. I like playing the way MK does and I have a lot of fun seeing him play and trying to get close to the sound he creates, and put my own feeling in it. Don't say it's ridiculous when other people have a lot of fun doing it. I'm not not saying I want to sound like MK but I can't. But I like the way he plays. It's nonsense too, since every guitar player has influences and uses it in his own style.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #183 on: July 28, 2017, 05:42:44 PM »

I disagree with you. I like playing the way MK does and I have a lot of fun seeing him play and trying to get close to the sound he creates, and put my own feeling in it. Don't say it's ridiculous when other people have a lot of fun doing it. I'm not not saying I want to sound like MK but I can't. But I like the way he plays. It's nonsense too, since every guitar player has influences and uses it in his own style.

I get it... My point was that I never seen any guitar player playing like that, it's like Dizzy Gillespie's balloon cheeks and bent trumpet—maybe occasional, but certainly unique. I said it because somebody was talking about "greatness" of MK as a guitar player, so to me his greatness is his signature sound and, among other things, his signature right hand, hence my rant on people copying it just for the sake of it.

Nice to hear you have a lot of fun playing like that.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #184 on: July 28, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »
I must admit it hits me hard to see him in this clip... since 2015, he really has changed and not in the best way.. so old.. so "chubby" and so strange behaving...
I hate those glasses that totally not fit... totally another man than the guy I used to adore when live on stage.. Sorry to say...
His whole  behaviour is very hard to watch for me... even his speaking voice I love so much has turned into a mumbling that is hard to understand.. In the best case I hope he was drunk that night.. In the worst case I honestly fear something severe is wrong with him..

I know we all grow older. Day by day. Don't kill me.

LE

Funny, I had the opposite impression – that his playing was more vivid and fluid again, compared to performances on the last two tours. When I heard the first bunch of guitar notes from this song for the first time, I was very surprised that he would even write something twiddly like this theses days. As far as his looks are concerned, yes, sure, he's getting older. That, in turn, I don't find to be a very surprising fact.  ;)

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #185 on: July 28, 2017, 06:10:00 PM »
Oh, and what did you mean by "strange behaviour", LE?

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #186 on: July 28, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
His whole  behaviour is very hard to watch for me... even his speaking voice I love so much has turned into a mumbling that is hard to understand.. In the best case I hope
LE

(Quote is shortened)
Some posts here must be meant a pure provoke, just for the "fun" of it. LE, he has "mumbled" for the last 15 years, at least. I talked with him last summer, just some words though. His eyes sharp and kind, his head the same  :) :)

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:38 PM »
good point!
what we have got here is a bit of the movements all over the place, let us all put it all together at once.  :wave
p.s. I learnt that skill from him actually - getting mumbling right with easy now! what is mumbling anyway?  ;D
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #188 on: July 29, 2017, 06:10:11 PM »

I get it... My point was that I never seen any guitar player playing like that, it's like Dizzy Gillespie's balloon cheeks and bent trumpet—maybe occasional, but certainly unique. I said it because somebody was talking about "greatness" of MK as a guitar player, so to me his greatness is his signature sound and, among other things, his signature right hand, hence my rant on people copying it just for the sake of it.

Nice to hear you have a lot of fun playing like that.

Aaah, in that way:-) Agree with that one. You shouldn't just play for the sake of playing like that. It's always important to build up your own sound!
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.