Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK and DS pictures  (Read 306153 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: MK and DS pictures
« Reply #1200 on: May 05, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »
Actually BG loose money every year... there are some sites that tell you information about companies and even includes files with that kind of information...

Owning a recording studio is a pretty risky business these days, but thanks to Mark he opted for that instead of, say, owning a winery which is everybody's doing. By the way, I like Sting's wine! The thing is Mark started building the studio before the whole home-recording boom and now, when everybody has a studio in his house with great microphones, preamps, and yes, modelling amps, studios will generate less and less profit, relying only on cinema, commercials, games work, etc.

It's not his house but a building bought and constructed specifically to be a recording studio.

He used to have a home studio at his Holland Park Mews house, where he recorded the whole NHB record, parts of Neck and Neck, The Princess Bride and Last exit to Brooklyn, also the overdubs and final comping and mixing from GH and STP. But nowadays he does everything at British Grove.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1201 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:30 PM »
Actually BG loose money every year... there are some sites that tell you information about companies and even includes files with that kind of information...

Owning a recording studio is a pretty risky business these days, but thanks to Mark he opted for that instead of, say, owning a winery which is everybody's doing. By the way, I like Sting's wine! The thing is Mark started building the studio before the whole home-recording boom and now, when everybody has a studio in his house with great microphones, preamps, and yes, modelling amps, studios will generate less and less profit, relying only on cinema, commercials, games work, etc.

It's not his house but a building bought and constructed specifically to be a recording studio.

He used to have a home studio at his Holland Park Mews house, where he recorded the whole NHB record, parts of Neck and Neck, The Princess Bride and Last exit to Brooklyn, also the overdubs and final comping and mixing from GH and STP. But nowadays he does everything at British Grove.

I never said that it's his house :lol Hovewer, I'm pretty sure it has some sleeping facilities so you can live there.

My biggest gripe with BG is that Mark owns this studio for 15 odd years and never did any live music broadcasts with video. Even John Illsley did it! A perfectly built studio, extremely photogenic, with amazing sound and opportunities. But we do have some lip-synced videos from Shangri-La studio. Classic Mark :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1202 on: May 05, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »

The way London property prices go maybe the building itself would be worth a fortune if he decided to sell.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1203 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:12 AM »
I remember Mark said that he does pay for studio time at BG as it is a commercial business, he also said something like, as long as his accountant is happy he will keep running it.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

« Reply #1204 on: May 06, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »
I see the last album as a artistical bankruptcy from Mark. So no ideas since many years, just the habit of spending time doing it, sort of acting like a songwriter.

LE

I have to disagree with you here. Granted, I don't listen to the last album a lot as I find other artists a lot more interesting these days, but I do think Mark made an effort to change things around and that there's a pretty good variety in songs and sounds.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1205 on: May 06, 2021, 09:16:01 AM »
I remember Mark said that he does pay for studio time at BG as it is a commercial business, he also said something like, as long as his accountant is happy he will keep running it.

I guess that the negative numbers might be because of the costs of building the studio and buying all the staff, that they are updating from time to time, he might have a loan to pay that costs, and would be paying it monthly or yearly. It would get a time when all that costs are paid and would start to give positive numbers...

It's logic to pay for the studio time, even for your own studio. You are using it and avoiding another client being there, paying, and he had to search for another studio he would have to pay for it, so it makes sense to pay for the studio time in his own studio. In the end is money that goes from one pocket to the other, LOL

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #1206 on: May 06, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »
i did not mean he does not have to pay for it, only that it should not pose a problem for a man of his liquidity.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1207 on: May 06, 2021, 09:45:18 AM »
i did not mean he does not have to pay for it, only that it should not pose a problem for a man of his liquidity.

Of course not. I bet he would be able to pay for all the debt right now, LOL

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1208 on: May 06, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »
I think Guy recorded there?

I bet he didn't pay full rates  ;)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1209 on: May 06, 2021, 07:25:18 PM »
I think Guy recorded there?

I bet he didn't pay full rates  ;)

I bet he swap that recording sessions for hours of working with MK for free...

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #1210 on: May 07, 2021, 07:53:09 AM »
Or Guy get´s the studio for the "half price". Like purchasing cheap offers in the supermarket. ;D
OK, it is a joke. Maybe, fellow musicians get special prices in case of using studio-time, as not known musician or clients.
We are fools to make war

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1211 on: May 07, 2021, 07:58:46 AM »
Or Guy get´s the studio for the "half price". Like purchasing cheap offers in the supermarket. ;D
OK, it is a joke. Maybe, fellow musicians get special prices in case of using studio-time, as not known musician or clients.

I don't know which word is for that in English but in Spain it's call something like "exchange of services", Guy can use the studio for free in exchange of MK uses Guy for free  ;D

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #1212 on: May 07, 2021, 08:01:36 AM »
OK, i understand. It can be a special agreement between Guy as a studio-user and Mark in his role as the studio-owner, possibly fixed in a contract or so on. I don´t really know the truth in their relationship, but it can be possible.  :think
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #1213 on: May 07, 2021, 08:08:30 AM »
A few time ago, i have read an interview with Mark about his studio. He said, that is it not so important to earn much more money with the studio, so for Mark it is ok to pay all the costs such a studio wil cause completely. That´s all. He does not need more break even with that studio.
Ok such a studio needs to be used allready, because all employees will also be paid. That´s fact, but i´m of the opinion Mark is able to pay all costs and to pay all his employees in the studio.
I don´t know if Mark made special costs for the Rolling Stones, which also recorded an album at British Grove. :think 8)
We are fools to make war

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1214 on: May 07, 2021, 09:20:39 AM »
I doubt Guy or John Illsley get "mates rates" at all, why would they? as I have said, it is a commercial business, like other artists, they would have to book time direct with the studio, not just ask Mark. Yes, he owns it, but I doubt he gets involved with the day to day issues, that is why he employs someone to do it. Guy has his own studio too, so he wouldn't need to book much time in BG for his own purpose anyway. 
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.