Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel  (Read 116362 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel
« Reply #360 on: April 22, 2022, 04:04:26 PM »

Here's "Water Of Love" with a slide for you! The whole song in Open A with all the solos. That's too much fun. All this with less than $500 in gear, as always, I advocate the affordable way to have fun. If you have any questions, fire away. If you have any requests, share them with me. I'll try my best to deliver the answer. Pavel.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2022, 01:24:28 PM »
I always liked more the studio version as, for me, the slide sounds better on the national than in the electric when he played live. In those live performances, there was something missing that made it less enjoyable for me
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2022, 04:11:28 PM »
I always liked more the studio version as, for me, the slide sounds better on the national than in the electric when he played live. In those live performances, there was something missing that made it less enjoyable for me

Yes, National sounds like a dream! Tho I love both electric and acoustic versions. I think should the electric version be properly recorded, and not in a live/demo situation, it would also sound nice. Like Mark's more recent song. By the way, Water Of Love is uncannily similar to Lights Of Taormina. Similar intro, slide, the vibe are almost identical, and both are great songs.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #363 on: April 23, 2022, 07:00:00 PM »
Excellent Pavel  :thumbsup :clap

regarding the studio version, it features two different lead guitars, played by Mark : one with slide on the Nnational (most likely the Tricone) and one on acoustic guitar, played "normally"

in concert Mark used to mix different licks, slide ones and fret ones, like you did in your video
but in studio, the National plays only slide licks, and the other guitar (seems to be a "normal" folk acoustic) plays fret licks

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #364 on: April 23, 2022, 10:17:56 PM »
Excellent Pavel  :thumbsup :clap

regarding the studio version, it features two different lead guitars, played by Mark : one with slide on the Nnational (most likely the Tricone) and one on acoustic guitar, played "normally"

in concert Mark used to mix different licks, slide ones and fret ones, like you did in your video
but in studio, the National plays only slide licks, and the other guitar (seems to be a "normal" folk acoustic) plays fret licks

I think when combined it sounds awesome! And again, Mark nowadays does that in the studio as well, as in "You'll Never Walk Alone".

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The Bug Solo time! I break down the amazing solo from On The Night DVD, which I loved listening to for 15 years, but never played it. With this solo, I launch an entirely new section of The Mark Knopfler Songbook as I never discussed solos before. Now I do. This is even more challenging than playing Mark's songs, but I think I also have something to say about it. And I'll play everything on my Squier Mini, the cheapest electric guitar you can get, and on my Mustang Micro amp, the cheapest amp you can get. I think this is just another dimension of complexity! Pavel.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
Just brilliant, as usual. You made a solo something interesting to non guitar players!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Just brilliant, as usual. You made a solo something interesting to non guitar players!

Thank you for this comment! This is exactly what I need right now. Actually, this is the best type of feedback I could ever dream of. I don't want to impress musicians, I just want to talk about Mark's amazing guitar work, which I do. Coming from a non-musician (professionally speaking), the main goal of my videos is to be interesting for non musicians and maybe, if I'm extra lucky, to inspire somebody to play more.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Ooh, working just now but I'll be checking this out, I can 100% steal these licks for my band. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
Ooh, working just now but I'll be checking this out, I can 100% steal these licks for my band. :)

When watching the video I thought more or less the same, I mean, those licks, explained like that, are very useful as you can practice them and using them for your own playing, some of the progressions and changes are so damm good!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

When watching the video I thought more or less the same, I mean, those licks, explained like that, are very useful as you can practice them and using them for your own playing, some of the progressions and changes are so damm good!

Oh yes! One of the most enjoyable things in life for me is watching musicians improvise because I'm not an improv type of a guy myself. I can learn something, and I can play something, or even teach something, but I don't have "a vehicle" to use all this stuff and I can't improvise at all, so I just share it.

An improvised solo of a great guitar player could consist of stolen licks up to 100%, or sometimes people even copy the entire solo (Django's, for instance, or Phil Palmer copying Eric Clapton's solo in front of him on stage to impress him). Licks exist to be stolen, that's life!

And signature licks, we actually can't even imagine how many times "signature licks" are being used. It's, again, a sign of a great improviser, when you hear a lick and can instantly recognize the player. And certain tricks good musicians use in nearly all of their solos. Django alone has hundreds of little musical ideas.

Beg, steal, or borrow!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
The Bug Solo time! I break down the amazing solo from On The Night DVD, which I loved listening to for 15 years, but never played it. With this solo, I launch an entirely new section of The Mark Knopfler Songbook as I never discussed solos before. Now I do. This is even more challenging than playing Mark's songs, but I think I also have something to say about it. And I'll play everything on my Squier Mini, the cheapest electric guitar you can get, and on my Mustang Micro amp, the cheapest amp you can get. I think this is just another dimension of complexity! Pavel.

Welcome to the solo dimension... the solo is 95% correct, well done.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Thank you! This is exceptionally hard for me as I'm not an electro guy at all. People sent me their versions and sometimes I feel like a fool, missing important stuff and realizing it only after recording. But that happens, fortunately (I think) one can't reproduce something 100%, and hence there is no such goal.

For instance, now I noticed I bend those 12th fret notes and play 2nd and 3rd strings, while MK more or less doesn't bend it at all and used the 3rd and 4th strings as I think. But messing with such details is more than I can stand :lol

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo

Thank you! This is exceptionally hard for me as I'm not an electro guy at all. People sent me their versions and sometimes I feel like a fool, missing important stuff and realizing it only after recording. But that happens, fortunately (I think) one can't reproduce something 100%, and hence there is no such goal.

For instance, now I noticed I bend those 12th fret notes and play 2nd and 3rd strings, while MK more or less doesn't bend it at all and used the 3rd and 4th strings as I think. But messing with such details is more than I can stand :lol

Yes nobody can play MK 100%. Exactly, there's no bend at 12th. Also there's clearly a 2 string trick at 14th just a while after
the 12th one, which you don't play in the video.
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Yes nobody can play MK 100%. Exactly, there's no bend at 12th. Also there's clearly a 2 string trick at 14th just a while after
the 12th one, which you don't play in the video.

That's certainly the hardest and the most controversial point in the whole solo, so thank you for joining me in this debate. I played it differently partly because it kinda sounds bad on a shorter scale, plus I don't get the way it switches to a lower voice. Personally, I want to hear this upper harmony. Besides, we've got some nasty instruments overlapping there, so it's a transcriber's nightmare. I'd really want to hear the guitar isolated, but probably not in this lifetime!

My decision was a pretty average one to my taste, a bluesy lick could sound like that and it's good enough for me. When I stumble across controversial places like that I usually go the intuitive route, as it's either not ever finishing the video or leaving it as is and doing something else. Even with my pace of content creation, I need to keep moving, so some sacrifices are inevitable, unfortunately. But I try to leave as few such places on my channel as possible.

As I revisited the solo I also got a few things that could've been improved, but hey, that's some really inappropriate perfectionism. I can go over any of my videos and find a million places where it could be better. Sometimes I feel pretty bad about it, but people's positive reaction gives me some hope.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.