Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Mark Knopfler Songbook — Featured on MK's official YouTube channel  (Read 114979 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
New video: “Brothers In Arms” — On The Night solos. After the recording, as always, I noticed a plethora of mistakes, from microscopic to big ones. The biggest mistake I made is thinking that the last fast run is exactly the same as the run Mark played before, but it is not. And the funny thing is, I actually tabbed it out how it was supposed to sound, but still played it wrong. Now, here’s my take on it. You can spend a million years transcribing just one solo, and will eventually play it right, probably, but if you’re not going forward, you’ll never have time to do anything else. Should I feel bad for this big mistake? No, I don’t think so. I fear not the man who has learned one solo 10,000 times, but I fear the man who has learned 10,000 solos. I will make mistakes because I’m a human being and not a robot. I don’t want to re-record my videos because of little greenies like that because you take one mistake out and another one immediately appears from somewhere else. That’s why I hesitated to record solos for so long. Not only because I don’t have enough equipment, but because it’s so hard to master and there is a lot more character that’s going on compared to playing rhythm. It’s not how learning solos should work anyway. All, and I mean — all your guitar heroes never learn complete solos, ever. They steal little bits that they like and apply them in their own playing. So these solos videos are for “entertainment purposes only”, don’t take them too seriously, and learn from my mistakes as well, not only from my playing. We are brothers in arms. Pavel.

P.S. I’m actually partly right because that fast run is really VERY similar to another fast run, the difference is a matter of a couple of notes. The problem is that it’s not the same. But, it’s another testament to Mark Knopfler’s virtuosity, he never plays the same thing twice as any good improviser should.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I'll be live today at approx. 17:00 Moscow time (09:00 a.m. EST). Don't worry, it will be available after the stream! I just want to try this live streaming thing. No real reason for me to do it live other than to test my skills and courage. But it's a huge step for me. I'd never imagine doing live streams even a year ago. Pavel.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Good luck! Playing live, even online, really helps in my experience. I did a live song every day for four months on Facebook during 2020.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Good luck! Playing live, even online, really helps in my experience. I did a live song every day for four months on Facebook during 2020.

Thank you! Playing is one thing, but I need to do a lesson in a foreign language live, that's quite different. But yes, live sessions really speed up your learning process, that's for sure. Four months is insane!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Thank you! Playing is one thing, but I need to do a lesson in a foreign language live, that's quite different. But yes, live sessions really speed up your learning process, that's for sure. Four months is insane!

Gave me something to do... I know a lot of songs anyway but was a good chance to learn new ones also :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
THREE HOURS! I wanted to go live for 30 minutes, but it turned out to be 3 hours. I never thought I'll get so many comments and questions. Thanks, everybody!

Offlinerelaxcoustic

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hey Pavel, I wanted to find my question but the video is 3 hours long and It's really hard to find it, so I want to ask you here (but also the others), so you could elaborate it further perhaps

Here is my question:

Technique -  MK and string muting during solos - since MK anchors the last two fingers down on the guitar body, he has to mute with the right hand, or what? How does he do it?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Hey Pavel, I wanted to find my question but the video is 3 hours long and It's really hard to find it, so I want to ask you here (but also the others), so you could elaborate it further perhaps

Here is my question:

Technique -  MK and string muting during solos - since MK anchors the last two fingers down on the guitar body, he has to mute with the right hand, or what? How does he do it?

But why does he need to? I don't think it makes much sense to block with the right hand at all. I think most of the muting is done through these:

1. Muting with the left hand (tip of fingers, unused fingers, thumb)
2. Muting something simply by not playing it (playing with precision)

Blocking with the right hand helps when playing on top strings to block bottom strings from ringing. But you just do it by sort of playing with a palm mute. Sometimes in Mark's solos you can even hear some of the notes being blocked by the palm.

Personally, I usually block the first string from ringing with my right hand. Mark has pretty big hand and fingers, I've been told, so it also helps with muting. But I think simply playing with precision and hitting only the stuff you need to play is the way to go, but it requires a lot of practice.

I think with blocking you need to keep in mind that most people usually play with a pick, and with a pick your right hand is usually flying up and down, you really don't have an opportunity to block anything. So in the best case scenario, you need to be able to block everything without using right hand at all.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
“Seattle” is song #85 in MKSB. Not an advanced song, at last! “Seattle” is a great slow ballad that grows on you, one may not appreciate it after first listen. But once you get in a certain mood and it starts to resonate with you, it feels so good to play it. Not the most popular song in Mark’s catalog, but it deserves to be on my list. As with any other MK song, haha. I hope you enjoy it and thanks for watching! Pavel.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I love when MK does this kind of songs, who needs the guitar heroe when he can do such wonderful songs... This, together with Radio City Serenade, The Scaffolders wife and similars are my MK solo favourite songs.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
I love when MK does this kind of songs, who needs the guitar heroe when he can do such wonderful songs... This, together with Radio City Serenade, The Scaffolders wife and similars are my MK solo favourite songs.

You read my mind... Once I "unlocked" MK — the songwriter, and I mean all the songs that are beneath the iceberg in his ocean of songs, I stopped regarding him as a guitar hero. Meanwhile, however, my whole channel has fewer views than many of the Sultans covers alone. So, I'm not saying MK is not a guitar hero. But my priority in enjoying his music is most certainly not the guitar hero part.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo

That is exactly who Mark is more and more, he has said many times he wants to think of himself as a songwriter, and I prefer these type of songs now, Mark has done the guitar hero thing and has moved on, that to me is the sign of a true artist, he could have quite easily just carried on doing the same thing for ever, but he made the decision to do something different.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler

That is exactly who Mark is more and more, he has said many times he wants to think of himself as a songwriter, and I prefer these type of songs now, Mark has done the guitar hero thing and has moved on, that to me is the sign of a true artist, he could have quite easily just carried on doing the same thing for ever, but he made the decision to do something different.

That is the reason why I still have hopes he could do gigs in the future, playing those kind of songs that are not guitar driven, I enjoyed a lot when he played some of them live.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
He has enough songs to do an acoustic only show too, that would be great.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
That's actually my favorite thing when MK performs his songs alone. I even had a little collection of radio broadcasts, interviews, and everything else where it was only his voice and guitar. There is some kind of magic in what's going on.

For this reason, I'm so happy that I record all his songs on one acoustic guitar. I wish I'd had that deep voice and these brilliant chops though! I'll never get there, but it's fun to try.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 37 queries.