Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Speculations about the MK secret project  (Read 57453 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Speculations about the MK secret project
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
That would be much cooler from my point of view. But there is the "secret song list" and those tracks titles have a lot in common with Local Hero...  :think

LE

I'm surprised no one still posted Guy's interesting answer about Local Hero: "Yes, it was a great movie and the soundtrack seems to live on. The Going Home theme must be our most performed piece."

Seems to live on... Oh, what's that means? :think

I think he means that the LH soundtrack is always remembered.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
He already did by saying: Rest assured, it will happen.
So the secret project (musical) will happen for sure!

Like the Madrid STP DVD ?

That's probably the worst frustration I have as a MK fan.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
He already did by saying: Rest assured, it will happen.
So the secret project (musical) will happen for sure!

Like the Madrid STP DVD ?

That's probably the worst frustration I have as a MK fan.

YES for me too. THE STP DVD would have been a Master Class DVD.  His last 10 outta 10 Tour. Very frustating indeed
Love will find a Way

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07:54 PM »
YES for me too. THE STP DVD would have been a Master Class DVD.  His last 10 outta 10 Tour. Very frustating indeed

I wonder if any of the master tapes for this has even survived. Probably they just lost some parts and it all went down ever since.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »
STP dvd, see also Montreux show that was shot on HD and not released, also Jools Holland show from the last tour.

Meanwhile, substandard shows from the 07 promo tour and the Hurlingham Club show with a pickup band show on steady rotation on TV.

MK has a funny way of dealing with his legacy.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #155 on: August 22, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »

I wonder if any of the master tapes for this has even survived. Probably they just lost some parts and it all went down ever since.

As far as I know, the problem with Madrid 2001 STP dvd came with the sound. The audience was too loud screaming all the show along. I recall Guy saying that audience screaming was recorded not only by the audience mics but also but the rest of mics on stage.

Also Guy asked to Bilbao audience (I think it was the concert next day) to be quiet because they would record the sound of that concert as a backup and use it to patch Madrid sound. Looks it didn't worked as they also recorded Glasgow and Newcastle sound to do the same.

Guy asking Bilbao audience to be quiet:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021231051832/http://public.sitemanager.co.uk:80/markknopfler/tourdiary/viewDate.cfm?ID=93

Guy talking about the four shows recorded in audio:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021008100613/http://public.sitemanager.co.uk:80/markknopfler/tourdiary/viewDate.cfm?ID=104

I guess that, with four audio recorded (Madrid, Bilbao, Glasgow and Newcastle) they didn't manage to do anything good and they abandoned the project.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:33:26 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #156 on: August 22, 2017, 09:52:52 AM »

As far as I know, the problem with Madrid 2001 STP dvd came with the sound. The audience was too loud screaming all the show along. I recall Guy saying that audience screaming was recorded not only by the audience mics but also but the rest of mics on stage.

Also Guy asked to Bilbao audience (I think it was the concert next day) to be quiet because they would record the sound of that concert as a backup and use it to patch Madrid sound. Looks it didn't worked as they also recorded Glasgow and Newcastle sound to do the same.

Guy asking Bilbao audience to be quiet:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021231051832/http://public.sitemanager.co.uk:80/markknopfler/tourdiary/viewDate.cfm?ID=93

Guy talking about the four shows recorded in audio:
https://web.archive.org/web/20021008100613/http://public.sitemanager.co.uk:80/markknopfler/tourdiary/viewDate.cfm?ID=104

I guess that, with four audio recorded (Madrid, Bilbao, Glasgow and Newcastle) they didn't manage to do anything good and they abandoned the project.

LOL, bottom line—never hire a perfectionist (Chuck) to record your live show.

Love Expresso

« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
Why is everbody so keen on the Madrid show? Bad band, bad versions, even bad hair...

LE

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #158 on: August 22, 2017, 11:24:05 AM »

I was in that Madrid concert in 2001, it was loud, very very very very loud...

Also that concert was the day after Chet Atkins died. Maybe MK didn't wanted to have a dvd with such memories  :(

And besides that, there was some wind, MK had quite a long hair, moving from here to there... I found it funny but I thought it would be weird for a dvd...

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2017, 11:25:43 AM »
Why is everbody so keen on the Madrid show? Bad band, bad versions, even bad hair...

LE

Agree with most of what you say, but it was the last tour with a very clear MK rock attitude...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2017, 12:33:17 PM »
I wasn't at Madrid, but I attended the first concert from the RAH.   It was really disappointing for me, due to Mike Henderson who  spoilt it with his very loud guitar, which almost drowned MK. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
I remember What It Is just not working, sounding terrible.. 2001 was the first time Sultans was covered over with a lot of heavy mistakes and greenies.. really the butchering of Sultans started in that year... great was Junkie Doll... I liked the acoustic guitar changing "game" on Speedway, but they never really nailed the song.. I remember Chad being far too loud at the two shows I attended. I
After Hamburg 2001 it was the first time I got home totally underwhelmed. 2005 was much better in every aspect apart from Mark wearing glasses..  ;)

LE

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2017, 04:06:34 PM »
I like the 2001 tour

- the return of the original 61 strat
- Wag the dog, junkie doll, pyroman,
- Baloney again  : greatMike hendreson solo
- Walk of life : great fun with harmonica and slide guitar
- Speedway : I like the build on an dthe sound of 3 guitars, and that lick that Richard never played again on next tours
- Money for nothing : great great great intro
- WII : I like the Loch Ommond intro, and mark explaining the similarities in the melody
- great guests on the tour : Taylor, Raitt, Browne...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2017, 04:21:12 PM »
I remember What It Is just not working, sounding terrible.. 2001 was the first time Sultans was covered over with a lot of heavy mistakes and greenies.. really the butchering of Sultans started in that year... great was Junkie Doll... I liked the acoustic guitar changing "game" on Speedway, but they never really nailed the song.. I remember Chad being far too loud at the two shows I attended. I
After Hamburg 2001 it was the first time I got home totally underwhelmed. 2005 was much better in every aspect apart from Mark wearing glasses..  ;)

LE

I was so upset after my RAH concert that I really thought I wasn't an MK fan anymore.  Nothing sounded right and Mike Henderson's loud guitar was really the last straw.  I came home totally depressed and I didn't even listen to any of my MK music for weeks afterwards.   Obviously I did get over this disappointment eventually, though!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »

- WII : I like the Loch Ommond intro, and mark explaining the similarities in the melody

This was also one of the things that stuck in my mind about this concert.   I remember MK talking about the melody and I just wanted to crawl under my seat - it was so cringeworthy!   It reminded me of being at school and the parts of a piece of music being explained to me, part by part, when all I wanted was to sit back and listen to the music without any interruptions!
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 41 queries.