Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Speculations about the MK secret project  (Read 57478 times)

OfflineLestroid

• Local Hero
Re: Speculations about the MK secret project
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:52 PM »
I dunno, regardless of what Guy said, those titles sure seem to fit Local Hero to me.  There's even a quote from the movie "you can't eat the scenery".

And consider the song on this list "I Wonder If I Can Go Home Again" vs "Going Home"

I'll have to go back and reread exactly what Guy said about Local Hero, but he's certainly been known to redirect attention if a guess gets too close.

I agree that Guy's statement about Richard being misquoted is likely about Broadway vs a musical in general. I'm betting it's for the theater in London.

At any rate, we'll all know eventually what this mystery project is.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »
Didn't realise that was a quote from the film.

Local Hero adaptation makes sense. Only musicals that make money for the most part these days are adaptations and "jukebox" musicals.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2017, 04:53:55 PM »
My second favourite musician is also writing a Broadway musical

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/broadway/7760452/steve-earle-samara-new-play-interview

Can't these guys stick to what they are good at?!

My guess regarding MK involvement is that probably he was asked by a friend and coudn't say no... I can't imagine MK waking up one day and telling Kitty while drinking his morning tea "mmm, I feel like writing a musical..."
He says no to plenty of stuff that would be a hell of a lot easier than writing a musical. :)

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
This is all still speculation. I don't recall anything being announced officially yet. Would it really be that bad if it was a musical? as it is something he has never done before, how can we say if it will be bad or good? And if it is a musical, at least he is doing different things again, unlike most of his contemporaries do!!
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2017, 05:22:41 PM »
My second favourite musician is also writing a Broadway musical

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/broadway/7760452/steve-earle-samara-new-play-interview

Can't these guys stick to what they are good at?!

My guess regarding MK involvement is that probably he was asked by a friend and coudn't say no... I can't imagine MK waking up one day and telling Kitty while drinking his morning tea "mmm, I feel like writing a musical..."
He says no to plenty of stuff that would be a hell of a lot easier than writing a musical. :)

In my humble opinion writing a musical is the hardest process of music production there is for a non-erudite composer. I simply don't see Mark doing it, it's insanely demanding.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason behind all the secrecy is the fact that Mark's still trying to figure out if he's the right man for the job.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2017, 06:07:34 PM »
I dunno, regardless of what Guy said, those titles sure seem to fit Local Hero to me.  There's even a quote from the movie "you can't eat the scenery".

I always saw the film in Spanish so I didn't notice that..
 In which moment is said, by who and what means?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2017, 06:29:11 PM »
This is all still speculation. I don't recall anything being announced officially yet. Would it really be that bad if it was a musical? as it is something he has never done before, how can we say if it will be bad or good? And if it is a musical, at least he is doing different things again, unlike most of his contemporaries do!!

Indeed. There is still absolutely no certainty as to what this project is exactly. For all we know, the writer of the article on Richard Bennett may have got completely the wrong end of the stick. And whatever it is, regardless of how successful it turns out to be or whether it is to everyone's taste, we know from past experience that Mark will do the best job he possibly can. If these song titles are correct, then it's a bit disappointing they've been leaked so early on. I'd much rather find out about the details at the appropriate time, when they are officially made available.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

Paul Simon did it

Sting did it

Steve Earl is going to do it

Any other contemporaries doing it or did it to sum them at the list?

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2017, 07:54:02 PM »

you cant eat the scenery is at 30 seconds

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2017, 07:56:55 PM »

I always saw the film in Spanish so I didn't notice that..
 In which moment is said, by who and what means?

Here:

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
Oh, I see, thanks. It's a Scottish say or it's in the context of selling the village?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:23 PM »

Paul Simon did it

Sting did it

Steve Earl is going to do it

Any other contemporaries doing it or did it to sum them at the list?
Elton John (Billy Elliot, big hit)

Bono & The Edge (Spiderman, massive flop)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »

Indeed. There is still absolutely no certainty as to what this project is exactly. For all we know, the writer of the article on Richard Bennett may have got completely the wrong end of the stick. And whatever it is, regardless of how successful it turns out to be or whether it is to everyone's taste, we know from past experience that Mark will do the best job he possibly can. If these song titles are correct, then it's a bit disappointing they've been leaked so early on. I'd much rather find out about the details at the appropriate time, when they are officially made available.
Fair enough. The point of this new subforum is to speculate on forthcoming projects so inevitably there will be some spoilers.

I'll see if we can get it marked with a spoiler warning for people who don't want to know such things.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »

Fair enough. The point of this new subforum is to speculate on forthcoming projects so inevitably there will be some spoilers.

I'll see if we can get it marked with a spoiler warning for people who don't want to know such things.

if this is "speculation" then it's not spoiler. Spoiler is to reveal something is known to be truth, so, this is or a speculation or a spoiler, but can't be both at the same time.

;D

Maybe the right name to this thread might be "Speculations about the MK secret project"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.