Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best opening live songs and versions  (Read 12664 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Best opening live songs and versions
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
That one I got. The 25% joke not so much haha
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
Broken Bones is the best concert opener I've ever heard in my entire life!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2017, 01:09:01 PM »

And 99% of the audience aren't interested in hearing Sultans at all!  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:25 PM »

Just like how every crowd went wild when the built up intro to Skydiver was over and the verse started.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »

Just like how every crowd went wild when the built up intro to Skydiver was over and the verse started.

:lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2017, 02:41:29 AM »
There were some "interesting" set list choices from MK on the Tracker tour.  Apart from the whole set list stagnation issue which has plagued the last 5 or so tours, who wants to hear some of the mediocre near B-Sides which were picked....Broken Bones isn't an opener no matter which way you dress it up...one little gem was Mighty Man...love a bit of live slide. 
TBH I'm not sure any complaints about set list is going to have much of an effect as MK has been rolling out the same tunes tour after tour as we all know, but it seems the audience is happy with the same songs each tour.  Perhaps the majority of MK's audience dip in and out and like hearing the "sign-posts" being recycled each time.   
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Love Expresso

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
He must be able to sing it live. He must be able to remember the lyrics. He must be able to play the guitar parts and do it parallel with the vocal parts. He  wants to have fun with it, it should not be too hard work for him.
Then, each band member must be featured especially. You could find another song for Mike playing Pipes, but would that one fit with Mark? Jim is soloing on CBC and IUTC. He could also play on other songs, but would they also be fast and "rocking" enough for the set?

Guitar endorsement is important, too. For example,  there are Martin songs needed like Marbletown.. and as this one features Glen and John at the same time, it will stay in the set forever.  So building a set list that considers all this is not that easy. Plus guitar changes have to be considered, too. He needs more slide guitar songs these days as he isn' t able to pick for two hours anymore.. and so on and so on...

Mark is the opposite of spontaneous. He is full of energy when it comes to tour and doing it all, but I guess you could call him sort of lazy in learn, rehearse and remember older stuff again. He has to find Dire Straits classics he is still able  to cope with on the guitar and feature the current band at he same time. So it is nothing short of a wonder to get a proper set list at an MK concert...  ;D

LE

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »
I agree with LE, many things are considered when choosing songs to put on a setlist. However, there's one song in particular that I'll never understand why Mark never picked: So Far From the Clyde. It has everything! Beautiful song, plenty of room for the folk blokes to shine, guitar parts are stunning and easy to play... does anyone know why he never played that one?
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Love Expresso

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 01:48:36 PM »
To me it seems there is a cut that happened in 2011 while rehearsing for the Dylan tour. He seemed to be so happy with Ianto new and Jim back in the band that he has totally lost interest in stuff recorded before. Apart from some rare Piper To The End rendition  he never returns to Get Lucky or the other "Danny-recorded" stuff from Kill To Get Crimson. Our Shangri-La was chosen back in the set because Jim had been at the recordings back in 2005... pretty sure about this even if it sounds like conspiracy stuff!  ;D

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »
I agree with LE, many things are considered when choosing songs to put on a setlist. However, there's one song in particular that I'll never understand why Mark never picked: So Far From the Clyde. It has everything! Beautiful song, plenty of room for the folk blokes to shine, guitar parts are stunning and easy to play... does anyone know why he never played that one?

Pretty sure because it sounds almost like "Piper To The End", which got played.

Good thoughts on the setlist from LE, only wish MK would be less lazy in that respect. I can't truly believe in the fact that even the same old jokes comes out MK's mouth without a trace of farce and tiredness. Come on, me and Richard, seriously? I know many people repeat same jokes over and over, because it works (like Tommy Emmanuel who almost always would "rattle" his collaborator tuning pegs on stage). I also wish Mark's shows would be longer, because you can put more songs in a longer show anyway. But as a realist I know what kind of artist I'm a fan of...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:53:31 PM by quizzaciously »

Love Expresso

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 02:04:07 PM »
How much the set lists might have been worth being criticised, they always work pretty well. At least they did until 2015. Dublin 2015 was the first time I really thought much too long and really boring. Vaison 1996 had the perfect set list on many levels, perfect mix of old and new, short and long, fast and slow, surprises and jamming and stuff. Nearly 2h20m if I remember correctly. Apart from Walk of Life and Rudiger in 2005, I was always very pleased with the dynamics of the shows. Well balanced without any doubt, only very fine adjustments here and there. They always knew what they were doing. Almost.  ;)

LE
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:23:09 PM by Love Expresso »

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »
I for one would like more songs from Golden Heart. Songs like Golden Heart, Rudiger, No Can Do, Je Suis Desolé and so on...In my view, it's the best album he's ever made and it seems like it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. Regarding the topic, from the Straits days, I've always thought Calling Elvis was a good opener. For solo tours, Border Reiver without a doubt.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 44 queries.