Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rumour about a gig in South Africa 2008  (Read 8040 times)

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
Re: Rumour about a gig in South Africa 2008
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

Going back to topic, does anyone heard about this?

Now there’s a guy claming that a video exists  ;D I don’t know if it’s from the wedding gig or the SA gig or most likely something totally different but let’s see.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »

Now there’s a guy claming that a video exists  ;D

Paul H? Still funny.  :lol  I wouldn't hold my breath.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 01:27:12 PM »
Yeah that was me, a bit of a joke about our old friend Paul Hanlon who claims to have video of the wedding gig, Deutsche Banke, MK's private wedding night video etc... :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Yeah that was me, a bit of a joke about our old friend Paul Hanlon who claims to have video of the wedding gig, Deutsche Banke, MK's private wedding night video etc... :)

Knopfler playing 5 hour in 2008?

Come on....   ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

Knopfler playing 5 hour in 2008?

Come on....   ;D

Depends how wealthy you are and how much you pay him. He'd probably play TOL too!   :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »
Wasn’t that John Illsley’s wedding?

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 08:12:29 AM »
Going back off-topic...

I don't know...  by buying a ticket to a show, I am paying to attend a performance -- that's all.  I am not hiring MK, and I don't think he owes me anything for the price of my ticket -- except, perhaps, an honest effort for a great performance, which he always delivers.     

And by attending a show, I am not commissioning the artist -- that takes considerably more money.  If MK agrees to perform DS songs for a wealthy patron -- then that is his choice.  ...And I should be so lucky to attend!!  :D
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
In my humble opinion Mark ought to play whatever he wants to play, it's up to the fans to buy tickets or not, especially us who know exactly what we'll be getting. However, there is a substantial number of people who attend Mark's gigs expecting to see "Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits", people that are not really familiar with Mark's solo career and recent setlists. I'll take any chance to see Mark playing live - or signing autographs and driving an old car somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Of course I have my own preferences but you cannot fight the man, just take whatever he wants to give you. Not the best deal but still much better than nothing  :clap
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:54:51 PM by ed_raposo »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 01:53:20 PM »

Now there’s a guy claming that a video exists  ;D I don’t know if it’s from the wedding gig or the SA gig or most likely something totally different but let’s see.

Probably sold the videos to PC  ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
In my humble opinion Mark ought to play whatever he wants to play, it's up to the fans to buy tickets or not, especially us who know exactly what we'll be getting. However, there is a substantial number of people who attend Mark's gigs expecting to see "Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits", people that are not really familiar with Mark's solo career and recent setlists. I'll take any chance to see Mark playing live - or signing autographs and driving an old car somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Of course I have my own preferences but you cannot fight the man, just take whatever he wants to give you. Not the best deal but still much better than nothing  :clap

Maybe so and I'll continue to see him despite the fact I'd like to see more DS songs and less Marbletowns.  However, when he can play DS hits for these corporate/private gigs it seems there is one setlist for the wealthy elite and another for the average fan. That is where my issue is. 

There is also the fact that 90% of attendees will be expecting the hits as virtually every other 70s/80s/90s artist provides.  Failure to provide them just kills the atmosphere stone dead, has everyone going out for pee breaks or to the bar, people falling asleep or even leaving before the encores.  Throw in some tunes people want to hear and have the audience leaving happy and enthused about the gig - it surely can't hurt.   :)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:24:11 PM by dmg »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »

Maybe so and I'll continue to see him despite the fact I'd like to see more DS songs and less Marbletowns.  However, when he can play DS hits for these corporate/private gigs it seems there is one setlist for the wealthy elite and another for the average fan. That is where my issue is. 

There is also the fact that 90% of attendees will be expecting the hits as virtually every other 70s/80s/90s artist provides.  Failure to provide them just kills the atmosphere stone dead, has everyone going out for pee breaks or to the bar, people falling asleep or even leaving before the encores.  Throw in some tunes people want to hear and have the audience leaving happy and enthused about the gig - it surely can't hurt.

90% of attendees expecting the hits?   After being a solo artist since 1996 I'm pretty sure most of the audience know what to expect by now and as for "everyone" going out for pee breaks, falling asleep or leaving before the encores - not at any of the concerts I have attended and you, dmg, were at quite a few of those too!   

I think most of the audience would be quite disappointed if MK played some of the old DS hits these days, because they would not sound as good as they used to in the day.  I prefer MK to do what he feels most comfortable doing. 

MK is not like every other 70s/80s/90s artist.   He is still writing fantastic songs, which most other artists could only dream of doing - not churning out old hits!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 02:40:03 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 02:43:48 PM »

90% of attendees expecting the hits?   After being a solo artist since 1996 I'm pretty sure most of the audience know what to expect by now and as for "everyone" going out for pee breaks, falling asleep or leaving before the encores - not at any of the concerts I have attended and you, dmg, were at quite a few of those too!   

I think most of the audience would be quite disappointed if MK played some of the old DS hits these days, because they would not sound as good as they used to in the day.  I prefer MK to do what he feels most comfortable doing.

Really?  I think there are still lots of DS songs the band could do today and do real justice to. 

I think I have said something before regarding the bar at the SECC (you know what these Weegies are like)  ;).  This left a rowdy section in 2010.  Of course, being seated at the front we don't get a view of what's happening behind us. 

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

There is also the fact that 90% of attendees will be expecting the hits as virtually every other 70s/80s/90s artist provides.  Failure to provide them just kills the atmosphere stone dead, has everyone going out for pee breaks or to the bar, people falling asleep or even leaving before the encores.  Throw in some tunes people want to hear and have the audience leaving happy and enthused about the gig - it surely can't hurt.   :)

I agree with you. As I said, I have my own preferences and more DS songs is certainly one of them - as long as he plays them with passion - but let's face the music, that's not Mark, he won't do it. So... I'll take whatever he's willing to provide me with. Not because that's what I want but because that's what I can have. I'm done fighting it - which doesn't mean I won't complain if I feel like doing so  :lol

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 03:00:34 PM »

Really?  I think there are still lots of DS songs the band could do today and do real justice to. 

I think I have said something before regarding the bar at the SECC (you know what these Weegies are like)  ;).  This left a rowdy section in 2010.  Of course, being seated at the front we don't get a view of what's happening behind us.

Yes, I know there are DS songs that MK could still play, but if people were expecting them to sound like before, they might be disappointed, that's all I'm saying. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »
I was watching my football team last night and after a great win I caught myself thinking... what if I had footage of something Mark didn't want to be divulged and he personally asked me (through management of course) to hand it over to him and delete any copy I might have, what would I do? I'm not talking about anything dodgy or personal life related, maybe a DS secret reunion of some sort. Because it might be exactly what happened here.

If it was me I'd give it to him straight away. Don't know if I'd delete the copy though. I'd certainly not divulge it but wouldn't deprive myself from having such a souvenir.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.