Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero - musical  (Read 171093 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: Local Hero - musical
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »

"No way, this is impossible to sing unless you're the "proper" singer"

Why? I do not understand. The Way It Always Starts did not enter the album Love Over Gold. Mark wrote it because I thought about him
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2018, 05:25:49 PM »

Why? I do not understand. The Way It Always Starts did not enter the album Love Over Gold. Mark wrote it because I thought about him

But "Private Dancer" also din't make it to the final cut. And it also is terribly hard to sing as well as "The Way It Always Starts". A great song, BTW...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »

Because Gerry Rafferty did the main job.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
Regarding the new stuff, not sure that Mark sang anything.
He already did not in 1982.

It's a musical. The songs are composed to be sung. If MK had recorded the songs in his studio, he would had sung them. Or he had someone else to sung them.

Mark wrote the songs but they are meant to be performed by others.
That would not be the first time it happens that way.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:17 PM »
We do not know that officially yet. I hope Mark will perform his songs too

I mentioned The Way It Always starts because it's on the album Local Hero but I do not believe it myself. Mark is not looking back and it is supposed to be a new material using some ideas of 1983.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 05:57:39 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
Didn't Guy mention something in the past about famous musicians taking part in the secret project?

Personally, I think Mark produced the whole muscial in his own studio with professional musicians/vocalist and himself singing the songs. Maybe even guy did some singing.

After that it gets handed over to the production team and actors of the musical. Or can every musical player read notes from paper? Is that a requirement? And would the actors be called in to sing their lines in the studio?

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »
"Didn't Guy mention something in the past about famous musicians taking part in the secret project?

Personally, I think Mark produced the whole muscial in his own studio with professional musicians/vocalist and himself singing the songs. Maybe even guy did some singing"

I think the same. The mysterious project remains a mysterious project  :D
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
"Didn't Guy mention something in the past about famous musicians taking part in the secret project?

Yes.  Exactly.
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2018, 11:08:39 PM »
if Mark composed some music in the typical film-score-music style (like the last exit to Brooklyn, Princess Bride, keyboards-sax-celtic tunes on Local Hero, etc...), of course it can be well performed by other musicians.
But if he composed some guitar-oriented tunes, don't you think it would be weird if it would be played by another guitarist than himself ?
Or does it mean that in this case, the music would be aired on stage as a playback, while actors/singers would sing live along ?

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2018, 08:21:28 AM »

Yes.  Exactly.

No. Guy didn't said famous musicians, he said that the names are familiar to us or something similar, which could mean they are his usual band.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2018, 08:58:28 AM »
I’m incredibly exited for this project! Local Hero is one of Mark’s finest work and I can’t wait to hear what he came up with 35 years of experience later. I hope all new recorded material gets released.

The theme of The Way It Always Starts could be sung by MK

No way, this is impossible to sing unless you're the "proper" singer.

Because of the news I relistened the original soundtrack yesterday, he could have sung this song himself, the melody is typical LOG/BIA area MK.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:03:39 AM by TheTimeWasWrong »

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »
if Mark composed some music in the typical film-score-music style (like the last exit to Brooklyn, Princess Bride, keyboards-sax-celtic tunes on Local Hero, etc...), of course it can be well performed by other musicians.
But if he composed some guitar-oriented tunes, don't you think it would be weird if it would be played by another guitarist than himself ?
Or does it mean that in this case, the music would be aired on stage as a playback, while actors/singers would sing live along ?

Tribute bands had proved that any guitar player could play MK guitar parts and do it very similar with practice.

However, MK guitar creations nowadays are not as challenging as in the old times ;)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »
"Because of the news I relistened the original soundtrack yesterday, he could have sung this song himself, the melody is typical LOG/BIA area MK"

Yes of course. And in one of the links about the musical there was information about Scottish artists. I think it's about singers.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:53:35 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »

Tribute bands had proved that any guitar player could play MK guitar parts and do it very similar with practice.

However, MK guitar creations nowadays are not as challenging as in the old times ;)

yes right, but tribute bands is another thing than an official musical composed by the man. I would find it very strange that new guitar stuff by mister Mark Knopfler would be played by another guitarist.
I don't say that it isn't technically possible, of course it is, but it's more about public image...it would be very weird imho
imagine, you go to a musical/play (which is a sort of concert) to hear new MK music played by another guitarist....it's not like when you're going to see a tribute band, it's totally different imho

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2018, 12:39:39 PM »

yes right, but tribute bands is another thing than an official musical composed by the man. I would find it very strange that new guitar stuff by mister Mark Knopfler would be played by another guitarist.
I don't say that it isn't technically possible, of course it is, but it's more about public image...it would be very weird imho
imagine, you go to a musical/play (which is a sort of concert) to hear new MK music played by another guitarist....it's not like when you're going to see a tribute band, it's totally different imho

I bet that the new music doesn't present that problem, as it composed to ilustrate scenes in a theater stage, not in a rock concert... Whatever MK had composed with his guitar could be played by whatever guitarist during the representation, however I also bet that the new music has more pipes, fiddles and keyboards than guitar as main instruments...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 38 queries.