Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Postcards from Paraguay - My humble version  (Read 8155 times)

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
  • Fender Stratocaster 61'
    • Covers & versions
Postcards from Paraguay - My humble version
« on: April 24, 2018, 08:49:30 PM »
Hi!
Main guitar & arrangements: Stratocaster; Rythm: Pensa Suhr MK-I (clean); The rest are MIDI sequenced instruments.

Hope you enjoy!
César.

https://soundcloud.com/trullols/postcards-from-paraguay-version

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:06:43 PM by trullols »

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Postcards from Paraguay - My humble version
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 09:02:42 PM »
Hi!
Main guitar & arrangements: Stratocaster; Rythm: Pensa Suhr MK-I (clean); The rest are MIDI sequenced instruments.

Hope you enjoy!
César.

https://soundcloud.com/trullols/mark-knopfler-postcards-from-paraguay-my-version

Very nice, pictures of the PensaSuhr ?
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:52:34 PM »
Hi, PensaBoy, thanks for your comment, here is the photo.

This is not an original P-S, it's a self-made guitar with the specifications (more or less) similar to the the original one.
Regards,
César.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »
Hi, PensaBoy, thanks for your comment, here is the photo.

This is not an original P-S, it's a self-made guitar with the specifications (more or less) similar to the the original one.
Regards,
César.

self-made ? by you ? it's a Trullols, not a PS  :lol
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinetrullols

• Local Hero
    • Covers & versions
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 08:07:03 PM »
Not by me, but by a friend. Yes, It's not a P_S, but I call her P_S because it's so so similar, we created it with the same woods/pieces/picks/bridge/scale/frtboard/ ... and shape... as similar as we could. Anyway, I'm sorry if you get angry because I called her that :D

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 08:50:16 PM »
I'm sure it's a fine instrument and it seems to look every bit as good as the real one.

Who builds Pensas these days anyway? Surely not Rudy, he's a salesman and they were hardly equipped to build anything back in the day when Suhr still worked for him. Anybody has any idea?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:41 PM »
Not by me, but by a friend. Yes, It's not a P_S, but I call her P_S because it's so so similar, we created it with the same woods/pieces/picks/bridge/scale/frtboard/ ... and shape... as similar as we could. Anyway, I'm sorry if you get angry because I called her that :D

not angry at all, no reason to be angry, but I really doubt the sound is similar, not even a real new Suhr sounds like an old PensaSuhr

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:05 PM »
I'm sure it's a fine instrument and it seems to look every bit as good as the real one.

Who builds Pensas these days anyway? Surely not Rudy, he's a salesman and they were hardly equipped to build anything back in the day when Suhr still worked for him. Anybody has any idea?

I have no clue who actually builds his guitars but I follow Rudy on Facebook and he’s still producing beautiful instruments. I saw a new blue MK the other day and man that looks stunning.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:03:17 PM »
Hi!

Hope you enjoy!
César.

https://soundcloud.com/trullols/mark-knopfler-postcards-from-paraguay-my-version

Do you use a compressor pedal? I like what you did there but the guitar sounds a bit too compressed to my taste. Good effort!

I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 10:00:10 PM »

not angry at all, no reason to be angry, but I really doubt the sound is similar, not even a real new Suhr sounds like an old PensaSuhr

I'm pretty sure no 2 old Pehsa-Suhrs sound the same. Besides, some came out excellent guitars, some not so much. By the words of the builder himself (that would be John Suhr). The important thing is that trullols gets inspired by his guitar to play more.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 10:40:47 PM »

I'm pretty sure no 2 old Pehsa-Suhrs sound the same. Besides, some came out excellent guitars, some not so much. By the words of the builder himself (that would be John Suhr). The important thing is that trullols gets inspired by his guitar to play more.

Could you provide a link of Suhr saying that ?

How many PensaSuhr have you heard ? I have heard many and the quality is 99.99% the same

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:54 AM »
I don't think I can. He most likely said it somewhere on thegearpage forum (he's known as Husky there) or perhaps somewhere else. What he said is that some came out great, some not so much and that he didn't really know exactly why that was at that time. Now he knows and claims that those that he's making now are better.

I can only take his word for it, he's the guy that made the old ones and he's making the new ones and certainly has first hand experience. I don't and those few youtube videos of people playing are not really a reliable source in my opinion. Other than that, I'm not aware of anybody playing a Pensa Suhr on a studio record besides Mark. Ingo made a comparison as well but can't say off the top of my head which ones he played exactly.

What I heard live was Mark playing a shorter scale version I believe and that was a Pensa not Pensa Suhr. That was once and I couldn't say anything about what it sounded like if it was to save my life. I'm not the one that takes notice of such things if I attend one concert every 9 years. It seemed good to me at the time but if it was sounding like a Pensa should sound like - I have no idea.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I had this idea of building a Pensa Suhr like guitar as well a few years ago but I would source my body from Warmoth if I was going to do it but I was never exceptionally satisfied with the quality/service from Warmoth after I bought a body and a neck for another project. Plus those 2 knobs and the switch are positioned differently to what they normally do and this being a carved top guitar the knobs have to be nicely recessed (if that's the right word) and I would not get that from Warmoth even as a custom order. The guitar your friend built looks like it's done properly. I don't think it would be possible for me to get below at least $2,500 as a partscaster and that's a lot of money for something that has hardly any resale value. So it will likely be a genuine Suhr at some point. After all, those are made by the same guy that was making Pensa Suhrs. Current Pensas are just sold by the same shop and in my opinion also way overpriced.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 12:42:59 AM »
I don't think I can. He most likely said it somewhere on thegearpage forum (he's known as Husky there) or perhaps somewhere else. What he said is that some came out great, some not so much and that he didn't really know exactly why that was at that time. Now he knows and claims that those that he's making now are better.

I can only take his word for it, he's the guy that made the old ones and he's making the new ones and certainly has first hand experience. I don't and those few youtube videos of people playing are not really a reliable source in my opinion. Other than that, I'm not aware of anybody playing a Pensa Suhr on a studio record besides Mark. Ingo made a comparison as well but can't say off the top of my head which ones he played exactly.

What I heard live was Mark playing a shorter scale version I believe and that was a Pensa not Pensa Suhr. That was once and I couldn't say anything about what it sounded like if it was to save my life. I'm not the one that takes notice of such things if I attend one concert every 9 years. It seemed good to me at the time but if it was sounding like a Pensa should sound like - I have no idea.

Sorry for derailing the thread. I had this idea of building a Pensa Suhr like guitar as well a few years ago but I would source my body from Warmoth if I was going to do it but I was never exceptionally satisfied with the quality/service from Warmoth after I bought a body and a neck for another project. Plus those 2 knobs and the switch are positioned differently to what they normally do and this being a carved top guitar the knobs have to be nicely recessed (if that's the right word) and I would not get that from Warmoth even as a custom order. The guitar your friend built looks like it's done properly. I don't think it would be possible for me to get below at least $2,500 as a partscaster and that's a lot of money for something that has hardly any resale value. So it will likely be a genuine Suhr at some point. After all, those are made by the same guy that was making Pensa Suhrs. Current Pensas are just sold by the same shop and in my opinion also way overpriced.

I own a PensaSuhr and when I say I heard 'many' I mean mine + the ones owned by some friends of mine, all live, I don't judge from youtube ...

Yes, I know J Suhr writes as Husky on gearpage, infact he answered some questions of mine there and he is always very nice also through
private messages and emails

Not sure what you mean with 'J Suhr made the old ones and he's making the new ones' , first of all he didn't make all the PensaSuhr which were made in the past. Then he created his own brand 'Suhr' which is not PensaSuhr obviously.

Mark Knopfler used the original PensaSuhr MK1 until 1996, then it 'disappeared'.
Since 1996 he has ordered and played several different Pensa guitars, but nothing from Suhr.
Suhr both privately and publicly told me that he is quite disappointed that MK never contacted him again.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 12:47:37 AM by PensaGhost »

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 08:53:46 AM »

Not sure what you mean with 'J Suhr made the old ones and he's making the new ones' , first of all he didn't make all the PensaSuhr which were made in the past. Then he created his own brand 'Suhr' which is not PensaSuhr obviously.
I mean that he was making these guitars for Rudy and he's making these as Suhr. They should be pretty much the same except now he's mostly using 2 piece tops for the "affordable ones" and perhaps there's a difference in binding. So he should be qualified to judge them all (except new Pensas) in terms of quality and I have no doubt that the ones he's making now are all around better guitars and consistently at the same quality. (the original spec versions of course, not later developments Pensa is making)

What they sound like and if it's better or worse is probably more a personal thing though. It was my dream guitar and it looks great with the floyd even though I have zero need for that and is probably impractical. However I would likely go for a different finish these days.

What was the last public appearance of the original guitar? Was it some "pensa days" exhibition or something?

I know Suhr is disappointed and who wouldn't be. I think he said something about Mark not liking the neck anymore and that he'd make him a killer replacement. But Mark and Rudy are buddies and John was just some employee so when Pensa and Suhr parted naturally Mark stayed with Pensa.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »

Could you provide a link of Suhr saying that ?

How many PensaSuhr have you heard ? I have heard many and the quality is 99.99% the same

This is ridiculous, because it's not exactly "bad" guitars, it's just not every guitar suits you, even if it's expensive, even if it's the same model even from one builder. That happened to me before, when I was holding ridiculously expensive guitars and all I could say was — and so what? But for somebody else that one would be THE instrument.

So, as primi puts is, the main ingredient is inspiration. This holds up even for Mark... If he has lost an inspiration for this instrument in 1996, nobody can blame him. Cutting relationships with the builder is the whole other story, but it could be connected.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.