Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Roger Waters in Lyon  (Read 12626 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Roger Waters in Lyon
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:50:51 AM »
9 months after my crazy trip to Washington, I went to see Roger again in Lyon. The opportunity to meet JF face to face at last ! Very nice to put a face to words ! Passionate conversations about Mark tours, attitude towards RRHOF, Alchemy vs. Wembley, Pensa vs. Les Paul, Schur... :)
And of course, a mind-blowing show as last year... But even more political, to the extent to make me feel inconfortable. Kids dressed as Guantanamo prisoners with there heads covered, Trump Bashing full scale of course, but also a fairly long speech about Palestinians, about Macron forgetting the 1789 Révolution, and the possibility of him being arrested in Paris in June... Almost felt like a Melenchon meeting, for those of you who know about french politics. Public reaction was rather cautious and silent, the applause being more for the excellent music.
Roger is overdoing it, by a long shot... Yet I love this guy. So extreme, so straightforward, so authentic... And the cause of some of the best musical pieces in the word. Cheers Roger ! :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Roger Waters in Lyon
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:16:54 PM »
9 months after my crazy trip to Washington, I went to see Roger again in Lyon. The opportunity to meet JF face to face at last ! Very nice to put a face to words ! Passionate conversations about Mark tours, attitude towards RRHOF, Alchemy vs. Wembley, Pensa vs. Les Paul, Schur... :)
And of course, a mind-blowing show as last year... But even more political, to the extent to make me feel inconfortable. Kids dressed as Guantanamo prisoners with there heads covered, Trump Bashing full scale of course, but also a fairly long speech about Palestinians, about Macron forgetting the 1789 Révolution, and the possibility of him being arrested in Paris in June... Almost felt like a Melenchon meeting, for those of you who know about french politics. Public reaction was rather cautious and silent, the applause being more for the excellent music.
Roger is overdoing it, by a long shot... Yet I love this guy. So extreme, so straightforward, so authentic... And the cause of some of the best musical pieces in the word. Cheers Roger ! :)
Going to leave this here:
https://www.facebook.com/DavidGilmourtheLegendBo/posts/2158195904205518

That is how rivalries should end!
@markknopfler watch and learn!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 01:21:08 PM »
Going to leave this here:
https://www.facebook.com/DavidGilmourtheLegendBo/posts/2158195904205518

That is how rivalries should end!
@markknopfler watch and learn!

That's why the Hall Of Fame was a missing chance for it, but Mark is Mark, is even more stubborn than Roger Waters, and that's a high level of stubborn already!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
Can one of the moderators please ask jbaent kindly to stop his daily insulting of Mark?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 02:03:12 PM »
Can one of the moderators please ask jbaent kindly to stop his daily insulting of Mark?

I'm not insulting MK at all.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/es/diccionario/ingles/stubborn

Stubborn: adjective

B2 disapproving A stubborn person is determined to do what he or she wants and refuses to do anything else:
They have huge arguments because they're both so stubborn.
​   
Things that are stubborn are difficult to move, change, or deal with:
He was famed for his stubborn resistance and his refusal to accept defeat.
Stubborn stains can be removed using a small amount of detergent.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:17:32 PM by jbaent »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 02:18:17 PM »

This is more a repeated Mark's bashing that can turn to become annoying for some members.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 02:21:04 PM »

This is more a repeated Mark's bashing that can turn to become annoying for some members.

That's a very different thing, and with this I agree with you. But I found that there was a link between Pottel comment and mine. If this annoyed you, I apologize.

Anyway, there are comments that also annoy me, and I'm not complaining about it. I just ignore them, as a grown up would do.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 04:01:10 PM »
Back to the topic : indeed a great show yesterday tonight !
it was my first Waters gig, and it gave me beyond my expectations
Roger was very incisive in his comments, a lot of punchlines, and even some in french
All musicians were very good. Dave Kilminster plays note per note Gilmour studio versions. It's perfect although his guitar tone is a bit too harsh, but the overall band sound is awesome
I liked very much Great gig in the sky with 2 voices at the same time. Different from versions at Gilmour gigs
But the best moment in the gig (at least for me) was Pigs. Guitar duels during the rhythmic intermission, and visuals effects straight in your face !
Another good moment was the kids (locals persons, from Lyon) dancing on another brick in the wall (part 2 AND part 3 !)
I must admit I missed "sheep" to close the trilogy, but with other surprises (machine and mother) I was very glad with that show

and of course, meeting Herlock "in real" was a pleasure  :)
my english is not as good as his, so easier for me to talk in french  :)

Jbaent you said it would be fine to be on sides, I think it was in order to see the central visuals better ? Well we were in the left/center (in face of Kilminister), at the rear limit of the pyramid, and we saw it good.
PensaGhost, we didn't manage to hand shake, because, even if I came early in the afternoon, there was a sort of "VIP zone" between the stage and us. So we were almost in the first row, but behind this zone.
It's strange because when I bought tickets in pre-order in october, I don't remind this kind of choice, and a friend of mine who bought ticket last week had no choice, but he had to choose this zone (called "Fossé or" in french)

anyway, a great show, and a friendly and nice meeting  :wave

All I can say is that if you like Pink Floyd, and even if you "prefer" Gilmour, go see Waters, you won't be disapointed !

I took some photos and videos, not very good, but you can see them here :
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=208222803133477&id=100018372766475&comment_id=208229826466108&notif_id=1525960199411906&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:03:11 PM by JF »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
Sorry but I do not see the problem here. Insulting is something entirely different.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 04:09:56 PM »

Not bashing either in my humble opinion. But, yes, we should drop the RHOF topic now pls. Still, my point was about his stubbornness, jbaemts also. Back to topic now indeed

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 04:11:19 PM »

Not bashing either in my humble opinion. But, yes, we should drop the RHOF topic now pls. Still, my point was about his stubbornness, jbaemts also. Back to topic now indeed

Pottel nailed, as always.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 04:12:24 PM »
Back to the topic : indeed a great show yesterday tonight !
it was my first Waters gig, and it gave me beyond my expectations
Roger was very incisive in his comments, a lot of punchlines, and even some in french
All musicians were very good. Dave Kilminster plays note per note Gilmour studio versions. It's perfect although his guitar tone is a bit too harsh, but the overall band sound is awesome
I liked very much Great gig in the sky with 2 voices at the same time. Different from versions at Gilmour gigs
But the best moment in the gig (at least for me) was Pigs. Guitar duels during the rhythmic intermission, and visuals effects straight in your face !
Another good moment was the kids (locals persons, from Lyon) dancing on another brick in the wall (part 2 AND part 3 !)
I must admit I missed "sheep" to close the trilogy, but with other surprises (machine and mother) I was very glad with that show

and of course, meeting Herlock "in real" was a pleasure  :)
my english is not as good as his, so easier for me to talk in french  :)

Jbaent you said it would be fine to be on sides, I think it was in order to see the central visuals better ? Well we were in the left/center (in face of Kilminister), at the rear limit of the pyramid, and we saw it good.
PensaGhost, we didn't manage to hand shake, because, even if I came early in the afternoon, there was a sort of "VIP zone" between the stage and us. So we were almost in the first row, but behind this zone.
It's strange because when I bought tickets in pre-order in october, I don't remind this kind of choice, and a friend of mine who bought ticket last week had no choice, but he had to choose this zone (called "Fossé or" in french)

anyway, a great show, and a friendly and nice meeting  :wave

All I can say is that if you like Pink Floyd, and even if you "prefer" Gilmour, go see Waters, you won't be disapointed !

I took some photos and videos, not very good, but you can see them here :
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=208222803133477&id=100018372766475&comment_id=208229826466108&notif_id=1525960199411906&notif_t=feed_comment&ref=notif
Oh but I do like the man live, even though I prefer Gilmour, the waters shows are always something extraordinary, and amazing sound quality (as with David and our very own marky)
I do not get it, if these guys can do great sound in legendary bad sounding locations (Sportpaleis Antwerpen being one of them) why do the other artist not do so?

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 04:16:54 PM »
JF, to be on the sides was to really enjoy the Battersea power station. I was in the center and I didn't see it well.

Actually I was just in the middle of the pyramid!

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
I honestly hate it when musicians talk politics. Of course they have every right to express their opinions in interviews and lyrics but I don't attend concerts to hear them bitch about politicians, different political views and so on, especially when they use it to look relevant like Bono does. But, that aside, I'm happy to hear you guys met and had a good time.

And last but not least, I thought the forum rules were pretty clear. 
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
I was said long ago by a long time Pink Floyd fan that a Waters concert was more PF than any Gilmour concert, and after see the two of them, I personally agree.

Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist and singer, but it looks like someone singing PF songs than PF himself. In the other hand, Waters looks like if the spirit of PF has possessed him.

I have to admit that I like more the Waters period of PF, the one of Dark side, Wish you and Animals, specially Animals.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 37 queries.