Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Setlist changes  (Read 16305 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Setlist changes
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2018, 07:16:20 PM »
There are 1 or 2 songs from the current set that I would like to keep listening to - Hill Farmer's Blues and So Far Away (yeah, I'm a sucker for this one).
But the rest, stuff like Postcards From Paraguay, Marbletown, Corned Beef City, Speedway at Nazareth and so on, need to be dropped.
I wish he would revisit Golden Heart and Sailing to Philadelphia a bit more. Songs like Are We In Trouble Now, Rudiger, Silvertown Blues would be great to hear.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

No offence but  I think Rüdiger was played to death over many tours and promo shows.  It's also an extremely dull and boring song, especially when played in a concert situation.  There's loads of rare stuff and songs that haven't been played for decades he could try before any of that.  Personally I think The Dullards would be good at much of the country stuff from OES like When It Comes To You and How Long.
Rudiger was only played for 3 tours. Way less than Speedway...
And it's a damn good song to me. My favourite from the GH album. I like it much more than the two you've mentionned...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
Rudiger was great during the GH tour.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Rudiger was great during the GH tour.

Yes, after that tour, it was boring, specially considering that in GH there was great tracks, better than R.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEl Macho

• Lady writer
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
Speedway must stay in the setlist. A must have like SOS !
They got a name for people like you, yeh they do
And they got a name for people like me too
El Macho, El Macho

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 04:28:25 PM »
How i would love to see him play Hand in Hand at a concert. Replace it for R&J.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 04:31:01 PM »
In my opinion no song needs to be dropped, that's not the point. Mark needs to develop an ever-changing setlist so that people go to different shows and have different experiences instead of seeing the same thing evening after evening, tour after tour, like they are stuck in a loop. 
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2018, 04:41:49 PM »
For me, MK concerts are a real musical art. Sometimes I feel like in the theater. The same kind of focus, listening and sensitivity. People go to the theater all the time for the same performance. Mark can not change the concert every day. That would be unfair.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
For me, MK concerts are a real musical art. Sometimes I feel like in the theater. The same kind of focus, listening and sensitivity. People go to the theater all the time for the same performance. Mark can not change the concert every day. That would be unfair.

Robson, sometimes I wonder what kind of perfect world you live in. Good thing here is if Mark does start to shake things up and provide the fans with more creative setlists you'll certainly like it too lol
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 04:50:05 PM by Eddie Fox »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »

Robson, sometimes I wonder what kind of perfect world you live in lol

We do not talk about me. This is my point. :wave
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2018, 04:52:53 PM »

You are alone on an island on this one buddy, trust me. Every single fan of Mark's I know apart from you craves a diversified setlist.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »

You are alone on an island on this one buddy, trust me. Every single fan of Mark's I know apart from you craves a diversified setlist.

I do not feel lonely : ) Please, do not talk about me. Privateering? Father And Son? Hill Farmer's Blues? Speedway?, Romeo ? Sultans? Marbletown? I want this !
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2018, 05:15:19 PM »
You can have it, I didn't say otherwise. What you need to understand is that the vast majority here also want other songs that have been ignored by Mark over the years to be visited. So my question is, don't you think it's fair that not only you but everyone has what they want?

And just for the record, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about Mark's setlists. If you like static setlists why don't you simply listen to the same gig over and over again? Or even better, listen to all gigs from the past three tours. You got plenty of material to satisfy your soul.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:17:43 PM by Eddie Fox »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2018, 05:20:34 PM »
You can have it, I didn't say otherwise. What you need to understand is that the vast majority here also want other songs that have been ignored by Mark over the years to be visited. So my question is, don't you think it's fair that not only you but everyone has what they want?

And just for the record, I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about Mark's setlists. If you like static setlists why don't you simply listen to the same gig over and over again? Or even better, listen to all gigs from the past three tours. You got plenty of material to satisfy your soul.

But I do and like. I will also accept new songs with joy. I do not see any contradictions here. I did not write that I do not want anything new. But still listen to the old material with joy. There is nothing strange about this. I think so
Clear as the day

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »

But I do and like. I will also accept new songs with joy. I do not see any contradictions here. I did not write that I do not want anything new. But still listen to the old material with joy. There is nothing strange about this. I think so

Cool  :clap

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »
In my opinion no song needs to be dropped, that's not the point. Mark needs to develop an ever-changing setlist so that people go to different shows and have different experiences instead of seeing the same thing evening after evening, tour after tour, like they are stuck in a loop.

Years ago I used to agree with this, now I don't agree, but there is a reason.

I believe that is unfair that people going to different concerts in different places listen to different songs, everybody deserves to listen to the same songs. Many Spanish fans that couldn't travel didn't had the chance to listen "5.15.a.m" or "Back To Tupelo" during the Privateering tour. I was lucky because I travelled exactly to one of the very few concerts in which MK played them, but that was unfair to the rest of people that attented the rest of concerts.

I believe that a tour should have a setlist that gives equal chance to anybody anywhere to listen the same songs, but at the same time, I believe the setlist must change from one tour to the next in a big number of songs, leaving just the hits as the repeated songs.

The tracker tour and the privateering tour were so similar, despite the fact that 5 songs from Tracker were played, even the surprising add of "Your latest trick" or "On every street", the skeleton of the setlist was so similar that it was almost the same.

If you play 20 songs in a concert, for example, change 12 of that songs, and leave 8 hits between DS and MK solo career, change that from tour to tour, and that would be perfect.

But to play different songs from one show to the next, like Springsteen does.. It's not fair. Some years ago I went to see Springsteen to Madrid, and was a great show, but two days after, he played Bilbao and changed almost half of the songs, songs that I liked more than the ones I listened to in Madrid. Luck for Bilbao fans, bad luck for Madrid fans that wanted to listen some of the songs people from Bilbao heard, and maybe the other way around. That's not fair.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 38 queries.