Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Setlist changes  (Read 16319 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Setlist changes
« on: May 30, 2018, 07:58:18 PM »
Have you checked Guy's forum today? Maybe you should! I quite like the way Guy's been answering questions since the whole RRHOF quarrel. Apparently he's not afraid of speaking out anymore.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
Re: Setlist changes
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 08:06:34 PM »
Damn. That IS a change.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
Now that I've regained consciousness...WOW!  Has someone hacked his website or is he for real?  Maybe it was that post from our Val what did it. 

I especially liked the part where he said: "Set repetition does have its disadvantages, admittedly."
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
I can´t believe what I´m reading.

Will save it just in case he decides he drunk so much last night.

I´m starting to salivate

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:50:42 AM »
Now that I've regained consciousness...WOW!  Has someone hacked his website or is he for real?  Maybe it was that post from our Val what did it. 

I especially liked the part where he said: "Set repetition does have its disadvantages, admittedly."

Thanks dmg, but I think the credit for that should go to Wolfy!     :lol      Cheers, LE!   :clap
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:53:50 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »
I caught up on The Doc's forum and I must say he was being unusually frank and the comments were a breath of fresh air compared to his usual "safe" responses.

Interesting to hear the guys don't tend to rehearse before a tour (largely due to the static set list) and The Doc's acknowledgement that the set list is tired and needs a massive overhaul.

"Has its disadvantages".....Yes, a bored audience and fanbase who vote with their feet and wallets and don't come to your live shows.....more and more fans just buy the album - only!

Certain songs have been long known as "need a pee/beer" tunes, so it would be great to have a set list that keeps you captured....with lots of surprises.  There is such a rich back catalogue of DS and solo material, the complacency MK shows his audience with a "same as" set list has a whiff of the R&RHOF farce....
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:34:39 AM »
I won't put any credibility on all this, specially since is MK who says what's going to be played, and not the Doc.

Guy and the band obviously rather change the set because if it's always the same it's boring to them, but the boss is the boss.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 11:23:35 AM »
No one asks for credibility. But it's remarkable that Guy changed his way of answering set list rants.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 11:26:53 AM »
The answer about not rehearsing really shed a light on the way tours are seen by MK, don't you think? To me, he looked exactly like that in 2015: Unrehearsed.

LE
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:40:33 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
The answer about not rehearsing really shed a light on the way tours are seen by MK, don't you think? To me, he looked exactly like that in 2015: Unrehearsed.

LE

Yep.  Frankly I find it a bit of an insult that he warms-up on his fee paying fans early in the tour.

Looking to the HOF debacle (yet again), I am think perhaps this has led to Guys newly found sense of freedom.  Perhaps he is miffed with Mark and perhaps talking to Alan has led him astray with stories that old DS tunes are actually still popular to audiences.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 12:18:13 PM »
The band is always able to deliver quality work, and they do. I remember Dublin 2015, sitting first row, with many amiters... but at no point MK himself blew me away, it was great to see him, yes, like seeing old friends again, but I expected more... Most of his solo play had that cringe moment to it, realizing, yes indeed, he IS getting older .... the long set however was a nice touch, although with too many boring songs at the end...
Why I repeat that? Because now I realize how this could happen. Plus when in Hamburg a month later, I went with a very good guitar Player and a DS lover, no Hardcore fan, and he said exactly that after the show, he's rusty, you see that he doesn't rehearse.. I remember that our member Goldenheart96 was attacked on Facebook for stating the same opinion..

So maybe this longer than usual break leads to the need of rehearsals and therefore to a couple of new (old) songs...

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »
I mean you shouldn't sit there and fear that he messes up Sultans ... or you wait for the mess up moment and there it is, if there is one thing he delivers, it will be that mistake again..
He is bound to this couple of songs only as he really cannot play anymore, he is able to repeat these, but has no energy to liften up his guitar skills to do other stuff. The choice of On Every Street and Your Latest Trick with featuring the Sax more than the guitar is evident to that. So it's more and more demanding to him to deliver good playing, therefore he dishes up what's safe for him. That thought about him turning to an album artist from Guy's forum has something to it the more I think about it...

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 12:29:51 PM »
To be fair, after I woke up from my short nap at that Hamburg 2015 show, he really delivered a great Brothers In Arms, really a blast from the past which almost gave me those long lost shivers. That version would be worth buying the recording alone, I remember thinking.

LE

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »
To be fair, after I woke up from my short nap at that Hamburg 2015 show, he really delivered a great Brothers In Arms, really a blast from the past which almost gave me those long lost shivers. That version would be worth buying the recording alone, I remember thinking.

LE

You’ve done it, LE!! Something positive!;-) I’m joking of course. I kinda agree. But he can still do it if he wants I’m sure. If only he’d rehearse more..
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »
The band is always able to deliver quality work, and they do. I remember Dublin 2015, sitting first row, with many amiters... but at no point MK himself blew me away, it was great to see him, yes, like seeing old friends again, but I expected more... Most of his solo play had that cringe moment to it, realizing, yes indeed, he IS getting older .... the long set however was a nice touch, although with too many boring songs at the end...
Why I repeat that? Because now I realize how this could happen. Plus when in Hamburg a month later, I went with a very good guitar Player and a DS lover, no Hardcore fan, and he said exactly that after the show, he's rusty, you see that he doesn't rehearse.. I remember that our member Goldenheart96 was attacked on Facebook for stating the same opinion..

So maybe this longer than usual break leads to the need of rehearsals and therefore to a couple of new (old) songs...

LE

I believe you about the Dublin gig, LE, even though I wasn't there, but I was at Manchester the next night and I thought he played extremely well and, yes, it was a long set there as well, so he can play well when he puts his mind to it.   :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 48 queries.