Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Information about "Down the road wherever"  (Read 131194 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Information about "Down the road wherever"
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »
What does "PRE-release" mean together with this date?

LE

Maybe Apple music have an exclusive?

That means that you can PRE-listen 1 track hence the pre-release thing. But the date is right, Apple Music can't be wrong, right? So it's Oct 26.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2018, 10:49:06 PM »
UPDATE: Apple Music has changed the date to November, 16 :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #107 on: September 28, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
UPDATE: Apple Music has changed the date to November, 16 :lol

Doh! :smack
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineustas

• Lady writer
« Reply #108 on: September 28, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
I do not know, may be it has been posted previously:

Mark Knopfler

Down The Road Wherever

Ask Mark Knopfler to explain the title of his ninth solo studio album and he will tell you that Down The Road Wherever is a line from one of the tracks: “One Song At A Time.” He'll give the credit for that title phrase to a sadly departed friend with whom he shared a lifelong love of songwriting and guitar playing, and their endless potential to change lives.

“I remember my pal Chet Atkins once saying that he picked his way out of poverty one song at a time, and it just stuck in my mind,” says Mark. “You get to an age where it is a few songs. But Down The Road Wherever seems to be appropriate, just because it’s what I’ve always done. I’ve always tried to keep my own geography happening in the songs, that applies there as well.” In “One Song At A Time” that autobiographical geography pinpoints Deptford, England, where the up-and-coming Dire Straits began to make their way, one song at a time.

The unassuming spirit of the itinerant songsmith is still Knopfler’s pilot light, inextinguishable through more than 40 years at the absolute pinnacle of his profession. Down The Road Wherever is the latest, elegant evidence of that steadfast hunger, a bold and often surprising songbook of 14 selections (more on the deluxe editions) boiled down from twice as many that went into the workshop.

Mark’s apparently limitless creativity was further extended by simultaneous compositions for the upcoming Local Hero musical. That’s a subject close to his heart too, as the 1983 movie version became his first of several soundtrack projects and included the talismanic instrumental theme “Going Home,” to which his beloved Newcastle United still take the field.

Just as with its 2015 predecessor Tracker and others before it, Down The Road Wherever was created at Knopfler’s own West London recording space, British Grove Studios. Instrumental compadres include longtime collaborators such as co-producer and keyboardist Guy Fletcher, bass player Glenn Worf, pianist Jim Cox, guitarist Richard Bennett, drummer Ian “Ianto” Thomas and percussionist Danny Cummings. Mark’s ten-year association with top folk players John McCusker (fiddle) and Michael McGoldrick (whistles) continues, while additions to the group include saxophonist Nigel Hitchcock and Tom Walsh on trumpet.

As ever, Knopfler found that the pleasure of birthing a new song is complemented by the process of what to do with it. “I enjoy the whole thing, of being inspired to write something, of working on it at home, writing it, and then taking it to a studio to try to make it work as a record,” he says. “I’ve got to make a decision as well: shall I just bring it here (to British Grove) and work on it on my own, or should I take it straight to the band? Because it’ll be a different thing if you do that. So you’re trying to decide which school to send your child to.”

Female backing vocals also abound on several tracks, along with a notable name on the door for “Back On The Dancefloor” in the form of Irish force of nature Imelda May. “It was great to have Imelda on that song, I think she’s fantastic,” says Knopfler. “She really did add a lot of color to it. She’s so creative, and that was fun. It’s a kind of a mystery song to me but I like it, that’s one of my favorites.”

“Female backing vocals are something that was going to happen. [I’ve] probably been meaning to feature that for a long time. And I’ve been enjoying having the brass element in quite a lot of the songs. When I go out on tour, I’m thinking I’ll have the elements I’ve always had but add brass to the line-up. It’ll just be more people on the bus.”

Longtime fans of this giant among singer-songwriter guitar heroes will note some palpable changes of mood on Down The Road Wherever, which stays true to the folk and roots-inflected ambience of his solo oeuvre but introduces new elements of jazz, funk and even a hint of the rockier leanings of earlier days.

“It will be different because whether you want to or not, you develop,” says Knopfler. “That’s just what happens. Sometimes the songs will tell you after you’re done, what it is you’ve been doing wrong, or where you’ve been going. So that’s a never-ending source of amusement. You can even find out from doing them what they’re about, or what you’ve been thinking about, perhaps.”

Other sonic surprises include the sparse and deeply romantic ballad “When You Leave” and the playful “Heavy Up,” inspired by a fellow songwriter who told Mark that his response to being told to “lighten up” was “I’ll lighten up for you if you’ll heavy up for me.” There is further inspiration from close to home in “Just A Boy Away From Home,” which rose from a memory back home in Newcastle, when his father was in hospital after a heart attack.
“He was in Newcastle General, which as anyone from the Northeast of England will know is very close to the football ground. He was lying awake in the middle of the night feeling a bit sorry for himself, and he heard a lad walking on the deserted street outside singing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone.’ Of course, he was a Liverpool fan and he’d been to the match—or who knows, he might have missed it somehow. But there he was in Newcastle singing his song. My dad found it inspiring, the spirit of it.” The track includes a full, stirring reprise of the famous melody. “It just felt good to play it on the slide,” says Mark. “I thought, ‘I’ve started, so I may as well finish.’ And it’s fun for the band to play.”

The completion of another momentous entry in Knopfler’s catalogue is the prelude to another joy of his life: the chance to perform some of it along with his endless supply of classic songs on the road. “You do find yourself thinking about being on a stage and playing a song,” he says. “I’ll be thinking about everybody, about having Mike McGoldrick and John McCusker, the folk musicians, as part of some songs, and Nigel and Tom as part of the brass thing on others. I’m looking forward to it.”

Down The Road Wherever concludes with “Matchstick Man,” another personal memory that poignantly captures Mark Knopfler as he was, and as he remains. “That’s me,” he confesses readily, “a young idiot with a guitar and a bag, climbing up into trucks and hitchhiking. I was trying to get back from a Christmas Eve gig in Penzance early on Christmas Day. I thought I’d hitch home. I don’t think I really knew it was 500 miles from there.”

“I got a lift up the old A1 and he let me off at a high crossroads in the Midlands. The sun was shining, there was snow everywhere and I could see for miles. There was nothing moving anywhere. I’m standing there with my guitar case and bag and this realization of what I’d chosen to do with my life. To me, it was exactly what I wanted to do. It’s just a snapshot of me then. From the air I would have been a tiny matchstick figure in this vastness of snow with his dream of being a musician.”

“You need some energy to make these things happen,” he concludes. “You’re not going to last if you haven’t got enough to get you through all the tougher times. I feel the same way I always felt. When I come in here and I see a couple of guitars in the corner, I get the same buzz that I had when I was a kid, and you’ve got to have that. It’s almost a childish attitude that keeps you fired up about turning up.”

Love Expresso

« Reply #109 on: September 28, 2018, 11:13:47 AM »
No they haven't, at least not that extended.
Thank you very much ustas, really some valuable and touching Information. Great!

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
Thanks, ustas!   I haven't read all of this before.   

It was interesting to read that MK is Matchstick Man, stuck in the snow on his way home from Penzance.   Also, I haven't heard the story about his father being in hospital, hearing the Liverpool anthem "You'll Never Walk Alone" before.   

I'm really looking forward to hearing all of these new songs, but I must be patient!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #111 on: September 28, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
Thanks Ustas. Information added to the first page with some remarks in bold and underline to make it easier to first sight.

Yes, we were right about "One song at a time" being about the Deptford days  ;D

Lot of information to start talking about the meaning of the songs already!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #112 on: September 28, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »
Lots of very interesting stuff in there to mull over.  Cheers.  I have a good feeling about this one.

Interesting to hear about his Dad suffering a heart attack.  This will be a particularly passionate one for him.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:40:54 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2018, 12:41:40 PM »
And more news. Beautiful. Thanks ustas.  :)

Other sonic surprises include the sparse and deeply romantic ballad “When You Leave”

I'm very curious
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2018, 01:07:08 PM »
Thank you Ustas, awesome
Back to the dance floor guys, he’s back.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2018, 03:00:50 PM »
thnx Ustas.
Finally some new insights into our man.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2018, 03:52:58 PM »
Thx Ustas! Nice new info and a nice read! :)
MK Down the Road Wherever tour :
22.05.2019 Royal Albert Hall London, UK
22.06.2019 Sportpaleis Antwerpen, Belgium
23.06.2019 Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Netherlands
03.07.2019 St. Peter at Sunset Kelzenholz, Switzerland

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
I hope he does not „overuse“ the slide guitar (which he did,in my opinion, on tracker). I‘d really loved to hear more of his beautiful Les Paul sound

hunter

« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2018, 06:36:43 PM »
I have expectations for this album. Love the personal touches (per the interview above). Also looking forward to the jazzy and rockier elements.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »
Wow, just wow. Thank you.  :wave
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 43 queries.