Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Information about "Down the road wherever"  (Read 131166 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Information about "Down the road wherever"
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2018, 03:15:46 PM »
I don't know if I had to post here or in the "new album" thread  :think

on FB, a french guy shared in a DS/MK dedicated group that he had the chance to listen to the full album once (because he's journalist and had a listiening link, avalaible for 3 days only)

I try to translate his thoughts on the album in general. forgive me for my bad enlish translation.

- "suprising sonorities" less folkish, less irish
- more rhythm, more "driven"
- brass sounds, female backgorund vocals
- first 2 songs immediately caught him, far more than all Tracker songs
- lot of potential for live gigs

someone asked him if there were guitar-oriented songs, and he answered : yes some cool parts

I don't know him personnally, so I don't know exactly what to think about this thougts, and he said that he listened to it only once, so...

but I think that we can bet for sure that this album is different from Tracker..

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
Longtime fans of this giant among singer-songwriter guitar heroes will note some palpable changes of mood on Down The Road Wherever, which stays true to the folk and roots-inflected ambience of his solo oeuvre but introduces new elements of jazz, funk and even a hint of the rockier leanings of earlier days.

“It will be different because whether you want to or not, you develop,” says Knopfler. “That’s just what happens. Sometimes the songs will tell you after you’re done, what it is you’ve been doing wrong, or where you’ve been going. So that’s a never-ending source of amusement. You can even find out from doing them what they’re about, or what you’ve been thinking about, perhaps.”
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2018, 04:46:23 PM »
Longtime fans of this giant among singer-songwriter guitar heroes will note some palpable changes of mood on Down The Road Wherever, which stays true to the folk and roots-inflected ambience of his solo oeuvre but introduces new elements of jazz, funk and even a hint of the rockier leanings of earlier days.

“It will be different because whether you want to or not, you develop,” says Knopfler. “That’s just what happens. Sometimes the songs will tell you after you’re done, what it is you’ve been doing wrong, or where you’ve been going. So that’s a never-ending source of amusement. You can even find out from doing them what they’re about, or what you’ve been thinking about, perhaps.”

And this comes from where?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2018, 05:00:49 PM »
I just wanted to remind this part as a comment to what JF wrote
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2018, 05:02:30 PM »
I just wanted to remind this part as a comment to what JF wrote

And that comes from where?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2018, 05:08:40 PM »
I do not know what you mean. It's promotional material from ustas. Wake up:)
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:55 PM »
I do not know what you mean. It's promotional material from ustas. Wake up:)

Now you understood the question and what's more important, your answer was easy to understand.

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2018, 08:04:22 AM »
I don't know if I had to post here or in the "new album" thread  :think

on FB, a french guy shared in a DS/MK dedicated group that he had the chance to listen to the full album once (because he's journalist and had a listiening link, avalaible for 3 days only)

I try to translate his thoughts on the album in general. forgive me for my bad enlish translation.

- "suprising sonorities" less folkish, less irish
- more rhythm, more "driven"
- brass sounds, female backgorund vocals
- first 2 songs immediately caught him, far more than all Tracker songs
- lot of potential for live gigs

someone asked him if there were guitar-oriented songs, and he answered : yes some cool parts

I don't know him personnally, so I don't know exactly what to think about this thougts, and he said that he listened to it only once, so...

but I think that we can bet for sure that this album is different from Tracker..

Can you please post a link to the mentioned MK dedicated FB group? I did not know about it :think

Love Expresso

« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2018, 08:32:00 AM »
Astonishing that the Journalist links are spread so early?

To be honest most of it could be said already from what we knew before.

I am extremely curious about Trapper Man now.

Plus how on Earth did he listen to it once only having had the link for three days!!!  :smack  :lol

LE
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 08:43:12 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2018, 12:06:31 PM »
More information about the album sneaking out that makes me look forward to it even more!  Thanks JF. 

I attended a lecture (of sorts) at St Cecilia's Hall in Edinburgh yesterday from the University of Edinburgh.  The reason being was because the lecture was on brass instruments, very apt for the forthcoming album!  Apparently St Cecilia’s Hall is the only venue in the world where it is possible to hear 18th century musical instruments played in an 18th century concert hall.

I never realised the trumpet only came into being due to the invention of the steam engine and until then the performer had to add a crook to their instrument to change the key during the course of the song!  This has given me a real appreciation of brass instruments and I am relishing them even more now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:52:58 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
Thanks for finding and posting all this background info, guys! So interesting.

And now that journalists already got a link, it can only be a matter of days until the whole thing leaks somewhere ...  :o

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »

And now that journalists already got a link, it can only be a matter of days until the whole thing leaks somewhere ...  :o

I don't think any journalist got any link, I think that person is lying...

Why? Because I have a friend who has access to that links because of his work and MK record hasn't appeared yet. Only the single and it lasted three days.

So maybe that person just listened to the single and generalized that sound to all the record, or that person is lying.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2018, 11:44:19 AM »

Why? Because I have a friend who has access to that links because of his work and MK record hasn't appeared yet. Only the single and it lasted three days.

So maybe that person just listened to the single and generalized that sound to all the record, or that person is lying.

I don't think anybody lied. Actually, I just found the first download links online. Illegal, of course, and I'm not yet sure whether any of them will work, but the album's definitely leaked. As it would, inevitably. I'll try and find a working link when I have the time, and it listen to it later this week (when I have even more time  :D). Oh, and yes, of course I'll also BUY it as soon as that's possible.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:52:35 AM by Rail King »

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »

I don't think anybody lied. Actually, I just found the first download links online. Illegal, of course, and I'm not yet sure whether any of them will work, but the album's definitely leaked. As it would, inevitably. I'll try and find a working link when I have the time, and it listen to it later this week (when I have even more time  :D). Oh, and yes, of course I'll also BUY it as soon as that's possible.

Haha, no, I

I also found many illegal download links when Tracker, 99% fake, many of them you had the give a credit card, beware...

Record companies changed the system, they don't send cd's anymore, they have an internal website where they put the releases and you have to be credited to listen to that music they put in their site. Those songs have a watermark that points to your user so if there is a leak, they have a guilty.

When Tracker came out in that website my friend tried to capture it to me, and due to the watermark was impossible as the sound went up and down and noisy. That system really works and avoid the leaks.

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2018, 12:03:03 PM »

Haha, no, I

I also found many illegal download links when Tracker, 99% fake, many of them you had the give a credit card, beware...

Record companies changed the system, they don't send cd's anymore, they have an internal website where they put the releases and you have to be credited to listen to that music they put in their site. Those songs have a watermark that points to your user so if there is a leak, they have a guilty.

When Tracker came out in that website my friend tried to capture it to me, and due to the watermark was impossible as the sound went up and down and noisy. That system really works and avoid the leaks.

Interesting ... we'll see. One of the links I found so far was working – I could download the album - but it comes with a password, and to get that, you'd have to submit a working email address. Which of course I won't. But it shows that the album's out. All previous albums leaked long before the actual release date, so I suppose we'll have this one pretty soon, too.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 41 queries.