Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62340 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
Could be a grower, but the lyrics are a bit off the wall.   Nice guitar solo.   :)

Just imagine you are sat in a lovely 'greasy spoon' eatery whilst listening!!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 04:17:54 PM »
Meanwhile, thanks guys for the PM of the songs.
Start with this song: beautiful melody, "very quiet" song, clean guitar. The real MK post DS.

Love Expresso

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2018, 06:14:00 PM »
If someone has a good take on what it's about it might be helpful for me to get into it.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2018, 06:19:52 PM »
The more I'm listening to this the more I like it and I don't really know why!  Perhaps just the overall tone of it and feelings it gives me.  I have images of greasy spoon cafés and Rita Tushingham kitchen sink 60s films (The Leather Boys perhaps)!  Really love this one.

You just reminded me of Mr Tushy.  He had a grocers shop at the end of our street in Liverpool.  We went there for his cheese and freshly sliced bacon from the big red bacon slicer. Sometimes Rita was in the shop!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2018, 06:31:01 PM »
The more I'm listening to this the more I like it and I don't really know why!  Perhaps just the overall tone of it and feelings it gives me.  I have images of greasy spoon cafés and Rita Tushingham kitchen sink 60s films (The Leather Boys perhaps)!  Really love this one.

You just reminded me of Mr Tushy.  He had a grocers shop at the end of our street in Liverpool.  We went there for his cheese and freshly sliced bacon from the big red bacon slicer. Sometimes Rita was in the shop!   ;D

:o :o

Wow!  Such a great and unmistakable actress of the 1960s.  Loved her in many films, most memorably The Knack and of course her landmark role A Taste of Honey.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »

Wow!  Such a great and unmistakable actress of the 1960s.  Loved her in many films, most memorably The Knack and of course her landmark role A Taste of Honey.

Dr Zhivago too!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 06:46:02 PM »

Dr Zhivago too!

Wasn't her typical type of film though.  She played the innocent little girl from the north better than anyone in these swinging 60s and kitchen sink films.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 06:48:19 PM by dmg »

Love Expresso

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2018, 07:00:38 PM »
JF, please, or Rail King, is this song faded out actually or ud it from the broadcast?

What instrument is doing this strumming? Sounds absolutely new and great to me.

LE

Love Expresso

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2018, 07:05:11 PM »
It's the song about that "man out of time in a greasy spoon". He lost his job?

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 07:11:34 PM »
It's the song about that "man out of time in a greasy spoon". He lost his job?

LE

Yes - "got the elbow" is slang for sacked or laid off. Sounds like he's deep in thought about his work/former work and some sort of team-building they did.  He clearly thinks it was a pretty silly idea and that he's an old-fashioned kind of guy.  Don't know what the toastie is all about or why the setting of the café is appropriate, but who cares?  Why not I suppose.  Great song anyway!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:23:27 PM by dmg »

Love Expresso

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »
Yes it is indeed. I like it more and more.

I just need a good explanation for that ridiculous title lyrics. I mean ... imagine Baloney Again the way it was recorded but with .. "baloney Sandwich again..
 Hey man..".  It's just...   :hmm

I had the idea that he maybe got fired very shortly before and is still in shock and finds himself at thst place but the world around him goes normally on while he has suffered a big catastrophe of losing his job... that would explain the absurd contrast  (to me) ... Also the outro would perfectly musically describe to me the slow realisation what happened...

But "I never got the elbow".. So he went on his own?
Hmm... help appreciated.
LE
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 07:38:27 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »

I just need a good explanation for that ridiculous title lyrics. I mean ... imagine Baloney Again the way it was recorded but with .. "baloney Sandwich again..

I had the idea that he maybe got fired very shortly before and is still in shock and finds himself at thst place but the world around him goes normally on while he has suffered a big catastrophe of losing his job... that would explain the absurd contrast  (to me) ... Also the outro would perfectly musically describe to me the slow realisation what happened...

Hmm... help appreciated.
LE

It's curious that this song has the most silly sounding title but arguably the most thought provoking lyrics thus far.

This verse tells us he gave his job up ("slung it in"):

I never got the elbow
I slung it in
Had it up to here
I just pulled the pin
Went and had a beer

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2018, 08:11:31 PM »
This song would fit perfectly with a Gordon Ramsay cooking competitions and they way he treats the candidates, most of the time they abandon because of the pressure.
This song is such a beauty.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinefollowmehome217

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »
I got into Mark's solo stuff about a year ago and have been lurking here ever since - can somebody email me Bacon Roll and Just a boy away from home? 

Love trapper man and one song at a time, as well as back on the dance floor and good on you son.  I can't get over the cow cow yicky yicky ya's of Nobody's child but the rest of the song is good.

Love Expresso

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2018, 08:37:11 PM »

Hmm... help appreciated.
LE

It's curious that this song has the most silly sounding title but arguably the most thought provoking lyrics thus far.

This verse tells us he gave his job up ("slung it in"):

I never got the elbow
I slung it in
Had it up to here
I just pulled the pin
Went and had a beer

Oh thank you  :thumbsup  :thumbsup

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 47 queries.