Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62299 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
Perhaps the best melody amongst the songs that are out. The song title does turn me off a bit though  :lol
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2018, 08:53:11 PM »
JF, please, or Rail King, is this song faded out actually or ud it from the broadcast?

What instrument is doing this strumming? Sounds absolutely new and great to me.

LE

I havent' heard the broadcasted file, but my file is 5:35 long
around 4:40 the piano plays the same theme as sung at 3:05, and then it's faded out

I guess the strumming is played on something like a cittern (like McCusker et Mc Golddrick on HFB) or a bouzouki....but not sure

Love Expresso

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2018, 09:06:27 PM »
Thank you!  :thumbsup

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »
Don't know honestly what you can find SO appealing in this song, seems like it took Mark 1 hour in the morning to write it. He can do better.

Love Expresso

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
You can really say that about everything he has written since 2002 or so if you absolutely want to sound a little arrogant.

If you don't like it, fine, it's no competion.

I like it because the mood and atmosphere are very well fitting with the mood the character obviously is in. The instrumentation is interesting and sounds new and the outro is very moving, I wish it was two minutes longer. After One Song At A Time the best new song so far. I am beginning to be able to live with the lyrics after the 10th listen or so. Maybe forget about fancy chords for five minutes and start to feel it s bit more?  :wave

LE

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
Suprised to so many positive reactions to this one, after listening to it for the first I was thinking this must be the weakest song ever by MK. Silly title and lyrics (though maybe I am missing something), simple and predictable melody, the first ‘my roll’ in the chorus is too high for Mark’s register giving an uncomfortable feeling, and after the song finishes it starts up again leading to absolutely nothing interesting and quickly fades out again.
On the other hand, the guitar tone and middle solo are quite nice I have to admit.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 10:53:37 PM »
No LE, you are exaggerating. There are many dozens of beautifully crafted MK songs after 2002, but can you say it about this song?

Suprised to so many positive reactions to this one, after listening to it for the first I was thinking this must be the weakest song ever by MK. Silly title and lyrics (though maybe I am missing something), simple and predictable melody, the first ‘my roll’ in the chorus is too high for Mark’s register giving an uncomfortable feeling, and after the song finishes it starts up again leading to absolutely nothing interesting and quickly fades out again.
On the other hand, the guitar tone and middle solo are quite nice I have to admit.

Pretty much sums up my reaction as well. It's not a very good song and I'm not Mark's lawyer to advocate it, that's why I tell all this.

He can do a million times better than this. This song is so middle-of-the-road that I don't even know what to say about it.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »

Yes, come to think of it it's Baloney Again......  8)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineregmka

• Guitar George
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:21 PM »
I personally don't find the lyrics silly, however the text may confuse since it full of idioms. I suggest to check some phrases in Wiktionary or Urban Dictionary.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2018, 11:26:03 PM »
What a gem! Beautiful melody, great arrangement (I love the outro!), nice solo and I think the lyrics are really clever, only MK could come up with something like this. Somehow it also reminds me of Rollin' On which is my favorite track of the ATRR album.

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2018, 11:45:00 PM »
I never got the elbow - didn’t get sacked
I slung it in - I quit my job
Had it up to here - he’s had it up to his neck
I just pulled the pin - ACTUAL meaning = uncouple train by pulling the pin - If you pull the pin, you put an end to something, quit or resign.
I used to love a bit of folding - slang for a roll of folding money
Just for getting by - surviving
As pie and mash - Shepard's pie = meat pie and mashed potato
S’cuse me, s’cuse me - pardon me, EXcuse me
My bacon roll? - A favourite breakfast (takeaway or cafe) in UK - in Oz it’s Egg & bacon with red or brown SAUCE
I could order you a toastie - a more recent breakfast brunch favourite toasted sandwich
Brown or red? - SAUCE

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
This is another MK gem - this is what he does best lyrically, something that seems quite basic on the surface but actually has a lot of depth to it. Terrific song.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 07:15:35 PM »
This is another MK gem - this is what he does best lyrically, something that seems quite basic on the surface but actually has a lot of depth to it. Terrific song.

Personally I don't care how great this song is lyrically speaking. It's ridiculous to name the song "My Bacon Roll", it sounds like a working title at best. You know that the song "Yesterday" by Paul McCartney had a working title "Scrambled Eggs"? I can't believe Mark produces such a ridiculous titles and puts it on the main album.

Oh, I'm sorry, "negative" comments are prohibited here on AMIT. I'm so sorry, really, I never meant to say it. The album is great! My Bacon Roll is my favourite MK song now :lol From the man who wrote Brothers In Arms, feast you eyes on My Bacon Roll! :lol

hunter

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
Why don't you write a letter to Mark and let him know how it should be done? And tell him that there are some people at AMIT (hunter included) who are not too fond of the Vox Continental sound. I'm sure he and Guy will find it most helpful.

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »
I agree about having problems with the pretty unusual way of lyrics Mark provides on this album
Maybe it's an development. But about that fat man in Floating Away I have the same problems of understanding as with My Bacon Roll. I am sure it's a picture for something and maybe an explanation will show how great the song is. But I don't have any. The sound and character of the song shows me that there are more levels for sure. It's not a light song in the style of Hot Dog or the likes. So any ideas still welcome.

Who is talking to who might help. "Just to let you know , before you go.." could it be a random acquaintance, made because of the roll swept over by mistake? Finding a way to mentally processing what happened to him? Being so desparate and lonesome with it that he talks to a stranger about his feelings?

LE
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:44:15 PM by Love Expresso »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 45 queries.