Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64202 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2018, 10:53:15 PM »
To me, the drumming is reminiscent of the so-called "country train beat", which usually is a lot faster. Nevertheless, a "train beat" really drives the song forward, which I think suits the theme of this song very well.

Yes, like Camerado.

Right, similar to that. Mark wouldn't go for that kind of drumming if he didn't feel it fit the context. He may be hitting 70, but he's not senile.

I agree. There are no cases here
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineijnijn

• Guitar George
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2018, 10:54:18 PM »
To me, the drumming is reminiscent of the so-called "country train beat", which usually is a lot faster. Nevertheless, a "train beat" really drives the song forward, which I think suits the theme of this song very well.

Yes, like Camerado.

Right, similar to that. Mark wouldn't go for that kind of drumming if he didn't feel it fit the context. He may be hitting 70, but he's not senile.

The problem here for me and quizzy is that the drums has nothing in itself that makes you're gonna remember the song better. The rhythm is ok, it's a typical upbeat groove, the problem is with the fills and licks which the song lacks. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with what Mark wants. Great drummers, like Ianto knows how to "interrupt" the rhythm in an appropriate way in a way not to lose the vibe of the groove. That's it. I think when I get the CD on Friday, I'll do a small review of the drumparts of every song on an album :)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2018, 10:58:00 PM »

Yes, like Camerado.

The problem here for me and quizzy is that the drums has nothing in itself that makes you're gonna remember the song better. The rhythm is ok, it's a typical upbeat groove, the problem is with the fills and licks which the song lacks. It has nothing to do, in my opinion, with what Mark wants. Great drummers, like Ianto knows how to "interrupt" the rhythm in an appropriate way in a way not to lose the vibe of the groove. That's it. I think when I get the CD on Friday, I'll do a small review of the drumparts of every song on an album :)

I figure you out but in this case Ianto is not the one to blame - if anyone should be.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2018, 10:58:55 PM »

Yes, like Camerado.

Similar?! It's like two songs from two different artists, not even a single microsecond of Camerado is similar to One Song At A Time.

In Camerado we have fast, multi-layered rhythm played softly almost in the background.

In One Song At A Time we have strong, right-at-you-face rock drumbeat which is almost taken from "Song For Sonny Liston", where this kind of groove is very appropriate. I mean this bass-hat-snare-hat pattern. It's like the marriage between Sonny Liston and Laughs and Jokes.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2018, 11:23:24 PM »
I absolutely love this song! One of his best in years. What I really like about this song is the driving rhythm, yes! I think the drums drive it beautifully from start to finish. Yes, it's different from what we are used to in MK songs but man, it grooves!

J.J. Cale used automatic drum machines all over his songs and it didn't prevent them to become classics. And this one is an instant classic regardless of drumming technique.   
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2018, 11:53:04 PM »
"J.J. Cale used automatic drum machines all over his songs and it didn't prevent them to become classics. And this one is an instant classic regardless of drumming technique"

It's true.
Clear as the day

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2018, 12:21:30 AM »
I absolutely love this song! One of his best in years. What I really like about this song is the driving rhythm, yes! I think the drums drive it beautifully from start to finish. Yes, it's different from what we are used to in MK songs but man, it grooves!

J.J. Cale used automatic drum machines all over his songs and it didn't prevent them to become classics. And this one is an instant classic regardless of drumming technique.   

:thumbsup :thumbsup
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
'So if you need to reach me
You can leave word at The Pig'

The Pig Hotel, Brockenhurst - New Forest! Just 20 Miles from home for me and 8 Miles from a certain 'East End Arms'!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:04:36 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
Very lovely building.  Good to put a picture to the name.  :thumbsup
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

hunter

« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Since this song is so autobiographical, I find "The Pig" reference extremely direct as far as Mark is concerned. I really feel he is inviting us in on this album. Almost as personal as the first DS album.

Love Expresso

« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2018, 09:07:50 PM »
About the drums  .. I wonder if they are so prominent in the mix because of compression on Radio broadcast. Plus you cannot divide the drums from the percussion, they are one and they really do it for me. Can't see why that should be a more stupid drumming than on let's say Heavy Fuel or Imelda or the likes...

LE

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2018, 09:16:10 PM »
About the drums  .. I wonder if they are so prominent in the mix because of compression on Radio broadcast. Plus you cannot divide the drums from the percussion, they are one and they really do it for me. Can't see why that should be a more stupid drumming than on let's say Heavy Fuel or Imelda or the likes...

LE

I just listened through my custom made IEM's and the quality is quite bad. So you can't really tell something about the mix IMHO. There is A LOT of compression so that messes it up completely, of course, what you say is true. I can see it being better when the albums out Friday.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »
Very lovely building.  Good to put a picture to the name.  :thumbsup

It is absolutely stunning, but then Brockenhurst is a beautiful place. The hotel is in a very 'select' area if you know what I mean?!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #148 on: November 13, 2018, 05:06:45 AM »
Love this song. Strong "feeling" that Mark has reached a crossroad in his professional life?

Agree that the song is a reference to leaving Deptford in the 1st verse and each song he writes takes him further and further away from those times, and down many roads wherever? Still can't put my finger on the meaning behind the reference back to 1879, but the 2nd last verse certainly gives me an impression that he may be feeling like walking away from the present like he did back in the Deptford days.

The mention that he has no wish to stay around "to watch any more poor old fakers trying to dance in his old shoes, as we also saw in TOTT, shows just how deeply his feeling are regarding this "tribute" band thing.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure he'll never completely stop participating in his 3 passions (writing - recording and touring) which have immersed his professional life for the last 40-years.  :'(  The touring is the one that I feel is slipping away.....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #149 on: November 13, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
Love this song. Strong "feeling" that Mark has reached a crossroad in his professional life?

Agree that the song is a reference to leaving Deptford in the 1st verse and each song he writes takes him further and further away from those times, and down many roads wherever? Still can't put my finger on the meaning behind the reference back to 1879, but the 2nd last verse certainly gives me an impression that he may be feeling like walking away from the present like he did back in the Deptford days.

The mention that he has no wish to stay around "to watch any more poor old fakers trying to dance in his old shoes, as we also saw in TOTT, shows just how deeply his feeling are regarding this "tribute" band thing.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'm sure he'll never completely stop participating in his 3 passions (writing - recording and touring) which have immersed his professional life for the last 40-years.  :'(  The touring is the one that I feel is slipping away.....

shangri-la 1Very nice written :)
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 41 queries.